“Perfectly fine for a business trip”

Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Ranked #105 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed November 1, 2007

Stayed here on business for two nights and certainly would recommend it for business travellers / conferences. A huge hotel - took ten minutes to walk to my room (room 5305)! My room was situated in the Wardman tower which I think was the older part of the hotel and while quite charming, could have benefited with some cosmetic updating. My room in particular, although huge, lacked some rather basic useful extras - a bathrobe and water for example. I probably wouldn't have minded so much had I not seen my colleague's room in the main part of the hotel (10th floor), which was clearly recently renovated, beautifully decorated and had everything my room lacked! If you stay at the hotel, do push for a newer room as it will make for a much more pleasant stay.
The cleanliness of my room could have been a little better (two hairs in the back - yuck!) but the rest of the hotel was immaculate so it may have just been a neglectful member of staff. Also my bath supplies weren't replenished but my colleague's I noticed were! The room had a coffee machine which was welcomed.
Bed was "out-of-this-world" comfy! But as I had jetlag I didn't get as much sleep as I would have liked!
The hotel has great restaurant facilities - Starbucks in particular was great. I ate breakfast at the hotel only one morning and it was perfectly fine. I also ordered room service one night and it was also good. Staff are extremely helpful. The concierge sorted cabs for me in a second.
Conference facilities were mediocre but I work in the industry so am particularly fussy.
Would I stay again? On business yes, otherwise no - it's way too impersonal for a holiday.

1  Thank MichaelaCarlo

Reviewed October 27, 2007

This was my second stay at the Wardman Park Hotel. The room was great, nice flat Screen TV, great desk and king size bed was very comfortable. Usually I stay at the Omni Shoreham, but they were booked. I really likes this hotel and will stay there again. Beware though it is a very big hotel and you have to walk quite allot to get around. But it is very close the Metro and neighborhood restaurants. Overall, nice stay.

2  Thank DWL
Reviewed October 18, 2007

My family stays at Marriott's frequently and have always had above average experiences or better. Given what I heard about the Wardman Park, it was a bit of a letdown. In general, the hotel common areas and our room were less than clean. The rugs needed to be vacuumed and the table surfaces cleaned. The rooms are also very small. When we called for service, we did not get any action until we called the manager's office.

The assistant manager did bend over backwards to help resolve our situation but I think they have general personnel problems -- we also encountered less than stellar service in one of the restaurants. She offered us a bigger room which we did not take since it was inconvenient to move and we did have a great view of the National Cathedral (from the 9th floor).

The location of the hotel is excellent -- a safe neighborhood right by a Metro stop on the red line. Also, as I was there for a conference, I have to say the food was excellent. Mass produced conference food is usually pretty poor but this hotel excelled in this one area!

2  Thank RoyLScam
Reviewed October 15, 2007

Check-in was a breeze at 11 PM at night!
The location was convenient for exploring D.C.: the Metro, several restaurants, and the Zoo are all within walking distance.
The concierge was helpful and recommended an Ethiopian restaurant for us.
Our beautiful gold-and-red room on the 10th floor of the Central Tower had a view of the Washington Monument. The bed was incredibly comfortable, and we were able to hook our iPod up to the alarm clock and be woken up by our favorite music.
We would certainly stay here again!

1  Thank P0ssible
Reviewed October 15, 2007

Absolutely fabulous property and staff! My wife and I have been staying here for years - we only live 45 minutes away but stay here for a weekend getwaway to DC. We recently celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary here, and loved every minute of it. The staff was great, called us to ask how our stay was, and basically catered to our every need.
If you are looking for a really nice property in a great location, the Wardman Park fits the bill in DC!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kansiatim
Reviewed October 7, 2007

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. It is a beautiful establishment in an ideal part of town - literally steps away from the Washington Zoo and Red line of subway system. Because of the central location, it was very easy to get around. This made it simple to get to all the fave DC sites, museums and restaurants.

I had been to the Wardman Park two years earlier, and it was wonderful then. But since that time, it appears that they completed some renovations, and it's better than ever. My room was a fairly standard single-occupancy queen bed room - I didn't request any kind of a special suite - but it was magnificently stylish and spacious, with modern fixtures and appliances, including a 27-inch LG flatscreen TV. Also, the room service was heavenly, as was the luxurious bed. I was in town with a party of fairly sophisticated travelers, and we were all mightily impressed with this place.

The one important downside is the price. Even with my group discount, the room came to $220 a night plus taxes. So, a person would want to make sure he/she took advantage of as many discounts as possible before booking a rate. This probably isn't the hotel for the budget traveler. Still, considering what any halfway-decent hotel in the heart of DC would go for, and the wonderful experience that this hotel provides, I'd say it's well worth it.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank mastatetripper
Reviewed September 17, 2007

I stayed in about a dozen hotels in the DC area over the last two months due to business committments. This hotel was one of the best ones in terms of location and fixing things when a patron complains. I stayed here twice. The first time I was in an oversized run down room. The second time I was upgraded to a two bedroom suite with a balcony, which was a very nice set of accomodations. I found the staff to be better than most in their efforts to help patrons. The size of the place is remarkable. They could decorate the lobby better. Overall, one of the best, and I limited my stays to only 3 and 4 star hotels.

Stayed: September 2007