“Good meal for a theatre night”

Kennedy Center Rooftop Terrace Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Kennedy Center Rooftop Terrace Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,094 of 3,216 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: National Mall
Cross street: Virginia Avenue NW
Transit: Foggy Bottom Metro on the Orange & Blue Lines. Kennedy Center provides free shuttle to/from Foggy Bottom Metro.
virginia
“Good meal for a theatre night”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The meal was great . The service was worth the effort. We went to see the "Book of Mormon" for our anniversary and the choice for dinner seemed right. WE enjoy all our courses from salad through dessert.
If on a budget , it is ok to share salad and dessert. The entree of Beef was done perfectly medium rare the way we liked it. The convenience of being at the Kennedy center and having dinner was fine.
The emphasis on regional american and french cusine was great. The service and view of the city and potomac is excellent. reservations should be made in advance. Try it

Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Pre-show Dining Convenience with VG Food”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Our party of eight all had Book of Morman show tickets at the Kennedy Center's theater beginning at 7:30 PM. None of our group lives in the District. All of us except for my wife and I were driving into town from various locations in the DC metro area. After investigating local dining options in Foggy Bottom and walking distances from the Kennedy Center if we parked in the Center's large parking garage (truly the way to go), we concluded that the best option was to eat an early dinner at the Rooftop Terrace at the Center. We made a group reservation for eight at 5 PM, giving us plenty of time to relax and have an early dinner before the show.

My wife and I just completed a three hour drive to DC from NJ so we both were in need of a cocktail. So was everyone else in our party. Our drink order came out promptly, and we were not rushed to put in our dinner orders. While enjoying our cocktails, we had a great view of the Potomac River and the jets taking off and landing at Reagan National Airport.

I ordered the mixed seafood chowder as my appetizer and the Maryland crab cakes main course. Both dishes were very good. I'm ususally disappointed when I eat a crab cake outside of the Chesapeake Bay where we keep our sailboat. Surprisingly, the Rooftop Terrace's lump backfin crab cakes were up to Annapolis' highest standards. Not a person in our party expressed displeasure with their meals, everyone seemed very happy with their dinner selections, and I believe the general consenus was that we made the right dining decision for our pre-show meal.

Service was very good with several waitpersons assisting our waiter in serving courses to our table. Since we all ate about the same way, we had no problem splitting the bill fours ways. With cocktails before dinner, another round of wine all around in especially large servings, tax and tip, the meal came out to $175/couple. Seemed a bit pricey, but our liquor bill was about a third of the food and drink cost.

Best of all, our group was downstairs in the theater at 7:20 PM without being rushed to catch a cab ride or catching our breath after a long, hot walk from a DC restaurant. I would definitely do it again on our next visit to the kennedy Center.

Leesburg, Virginia, United States
“The only place to go.”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

If you're going to the Kennedy Center, this is really your only option. If you chose to go some place else, you'd have to eat too early for my liking, and then you'd have to worry about getting a cab, and possibly dealing with traffic and being late for your show. Don't deal with that stress. Just eat here.

We had a nice dinner before Book Of Mormon, took a casual stroll around the terrace (an absolutely amazing 360 view), and walked downstairs 3 minutes before they let everybody in to get seated. Is the food overpriced? Yes... but not horribly overpriced. For the convenience, it is about what I expect. The food is pretty good, and the staff all know that you have a show to get to, and they get the food out quickly. We had a 6:15 reservation, showed up at 6pm, and they seated us right away. Our show was a 7:30 show.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Magnificent Meal before Mormon”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My birthday was Tues night & we had dinner @ The Rooftop Terrace before seeing Book of Mormon.

I had the crabcakes which were perfect. As my fork touched the cake, the crab fell out.
So for $34. I felt they were not filled w/potato or any type of stuffing..pure crabmeat that was moist & luscious
Shared an order of the horseradish potatos and they were much better than garlic potatos.

Was hesitant and not sure what to expect some of the reviews were pretty dauning...very critical

We had a very good waiter who came over to us as soon as we sat down.
Bread & water came out pretty quickly when we said we are going to the show.
Hardly had to wait for our entrees. and my dear friend ordered the steak which was excellent!

It was a lovely birthday meal followed by a fabulous show, and my first visit to The Kennedy Center will be a memory etched in my mind forever.

Bo appetite! Go enjoy @ The Rooftop Terrace

Char W. Phila.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Tasty, but a bit pricey”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The food at the Rooftop Terrace Restaurant is excellent and service is friendly and quick. However, the prices are a bit high. Given the convenience (if you're going to a KC show) and the lack of other options in the area, this is a good bet. And the view is beautiful.

Visited June 2013