“tasty small plates, creative pizza”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Graffiato

Graffiato
Reserve with OpenTable
Graffiato is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #184 of 3,196 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
washington, dc
“tasty small plates, creative pizza”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We enjoy Graffiato and it's a great place for a drink or pre-theatre dinner. The "Hulk" pesto pizza is terrific and there are some lovely small plates and an interesting wine list and cocktail program. One quibble from a recent visit was being seated toward the back when there were plenty of tables up front. We requested a change and it wasn't a problem but it was irksome to have it even be an issue. Service was excellent and complementary sparking water option was a nice touch.

• Visited August 2013

Hartford, Connecticut
“Decent pizza, better small plates”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Graffiato is the latest in a long string of somewhat disappointing DC pizza places (with 2 Amys at the top of that list—for disappointment, that is). The pizza looks promising, with the proper amount of blackening on the bottom. The crust is pretty good but insufficiently chewy (although better than the average white bread crust in this country). The biggest weakness was the tomato sauce, which tasted like pureed tomatoes, which is not a good thing (not enough salt, for one thing). The cauliflower with pecorino was maybe the best cauliflower I have had at a restaurant. The smoked beets with ricotta and orange were cool and refreshing. The hand cut spaghetti with cherry tomatoes was perfectly fine, but nothing most people couldn't make at home. The food does come quickly, at least. It was loud, but no louder than most downtown restaurants.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Very cool ambiance and a great food experience”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

As a longtime fan of Chef Mike Isabella's work, I was excited when a friend suggested Graffiato on a recent business trip to DC. The restaurant/bar is small but not tiny, intimate but cool, and it has a clean, industrial chic vibe. Though we did a full dinner, this would also be a good place for snacks and drinks, and in fact, I saw many groups and couples doing just this as it grew later on a Tuesday evening.

My only complaint is that our primary server was not very friendly or helpful with food explanation and selection. I had heard before going that it was mainly small plates, though this was not explicit on the menu. When I asked the server for input, she was short and dismissive, save for an attempt to upsell. Despite this, I was extremely pleased with the vegetables I chose (smoked beets and an heirloom tomato salad) while my companion thoroughly enjoyed his chicken thighs. We split a pizza (which was quite larger than the server had described), and all the flavors were bright and robust.

The food expediters, bussers, and other servers who were extremely attentive to our water glasses made up for the singular poor attitude. Overall, Graffiato did not disappoint, and I look forward to visiting again on future DC trips.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Delicious night out with friends!”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I had heard good things about Graffiato, so I suggested it as a pre-movie dinner spot with friends. It was easy enough to make a reservation, and we enjoyed a quick drink at the bar while they prepared our table. The staff were very hospitable and knowledgeable. They were out of my beer of choice, so the bartender let me sample a few different beers before changing my selection. Impressive!

Now for the food. Their menu is a bit eccentric and contains a lot of unknown ingredients, but don't let that stop you! We followed recommendations on Yelp and FourSquare and were not let down. Here are my top choices - ANYTHING with the pepperoni sauce, the sweetcorn ravioli, the Amish chicken thigh, the cauliflower!!!, and the tomato/crab risotto. The pizzas were OK, but not mind-blowing. Overall, though, there was nothing I wouldn't recommend.

Enjoy your visit and be adventurous!

Nashville, Tennessee
“Fun spot, good food”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Went with family on a Saturday night. Ordered the gnocchi, ceasar salad and 2 pizzas (American Pie and Goodfellas). All were tremendous! I was the only one who could eat the Goodfellas because the red pepper flakes gave it some extra heat. So I may order it without next time. We sat downstairs in the bar/kitchen area. Be ready to shout to your tablemates should you wish to be heard. But the atmosphere is very fun and the food and wine selections were tremendous. So the noise level did not detract from our enjoyment. Will definitely go again!