“Flavors you never thought existed!”
Review of Graffiato

Graffiato
Reserve with OpenTable
Graffiato is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #243 of 3,283 Restaurants in Washington DC
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

This place is fantastic. The cocktails were creative, the entrees were delicious and the pizza and Asian pear appetizer was amazing. The service was okay and the tables are tighly packed together, but who cares, the food is delicious!

There are newer reviews for Graffiato

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Mike Isabella, opened this restaurant after appearing on Top Chef! He was already known to DC foodies as the Chef from Zaytinya, one of Jose Andres' restaurants in DC. Zaytinya was one of my neighborhood favorites with their Mediterranean tapas. Graffiato has taken the tapas concept to Italian food. That and pizzas!

It is a very fun place to go enjoy some great food. If you are a fan of Top Chef, you will have to get the Chicken and Pepperoni Sauce. The chicken is served over a Polenta cake with pepperoni sauce as the base. You can also get the pepperoni sauce with the flat bread starter.

As a child I would have bet my life that the next sentence I write would never have left my mouth, or in this case my finger tips. "One of my favorite dishes there is the Brussel Sprouts." Nice crispy Brussel Sprouts with pancetta, a hint of maple syrup and yogurt. I have been there with friends and had to order a second plate of it. This is kind of like the Palak Chat from Rasika.

One of the hard choices to make is what pizza should I get??? I am a big fan of the Countryman Pizza. I like to add sausage to this one because I like sausage. But it is a pizza with black truffle paste, Fontina cheese and a farm fresh egg. The egg's yolk gets broken at the table and smeared over the pizza like a great sauce.

The bar downstairs is also a great place to come for drinks. They have prosecco on tap for the fans of sparkling wine. The menu is the same but the atmosphere is definitely more lively in the downstairs space. I like to try to get a table downstairs for the vibe. Also, they have limited seating for larger groups so reserve way ahead of time!

Last item. They started serving brunch a while back and it is a great place to go for brunch! Good mimosas and other drinks!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Our family had a really nice meal here last October. The tapas-style menu really worked well for them. Our server, who I initially thought was kind of aloof, turned out to be great in all respects. He and the kitchen kept the dishes coming at a rapid (but not too rapid) pace. We all shared everything and had a great time. The draft beer selection was good, also. When we were there, the place was packed. I would advise making reservations.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I would give this a 4.5 if I could. The reason I did not give it a 5 was because 2 of the 8 dishes we got during restaurant week (where they offered a generous 4-course meal for the standard price) had errors (oversalted goat meat with the gnocci for one), but overall the meal was fantastic. The Brussels sprouts are out-of-this-world amazing. It was rustic comfort food with a classy touch. And the head chef, Mike Isabella, was there speaking with a table of customers during our visit. Though he was a bit of an jerk on the Top Chef series, I am glad we gave his restaurant a chance. He really does a fantastic job with the food. I wouldn't say it's a romantic place...it's lively and loud, but the service was top-notch as well.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I talked a group of colleagues into eating here ona business trip. Totally wowed by the food. We started at the bar with drinks. Our waitress was very attentive. When the third member showed up we moved to a table upstairs. They were having a big wine tasting but we got their early enough (before 7) to get a table. We had all of the specials. Flatbread wi pepperoni sauce was delicious but the star for me was the mousaka with goat. I'd never had goat before but I was almost licking the plate it was so good. We rounded out the night with a tasty pizza.

The only thing I would comment on was the unevenness of the room temperature but that could because it was unseasonably warm in DC.