“Great Museum for All Ages”

National Postal Museum
Ranked #36 of 447 things to do in Washington DC
Chicago, IL
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Great Museum for All Ages”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

I recently visited the Postal Museum on a business trip to DC. It was recommended to me by one of the interns on Capitol Hill. This museum is so interesting and great for all ages. I plan to take my 8 year old son when we go to DC as I'm sure he would like it as much as me. The exhibits are hands on and really help give a feel to the history of the postal service. Who would have thought that mail could be this interesting but I spent two hours wandering around and would have liked more time.

1 Thank jacmonster

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York City
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Learn about stamps and the postal service”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

They give you a tour at 11AM or 1PM about the history of stamps, where they originated- In England. And about the first stamp produced. They actually have several inverted Jenny stamps. You get to see Owney- the dog who is the Postal Service mascot. you learn about the Pony Express. Everything you never thought about stamps and the delivery method is covered.

1 Thank Enriquez
Martinsburg, West Virginia
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Enjoyed our walk through the history of the mail”
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Visited the National Postal Museum with my mom, who is a postal employee, and my teenage son. We had a great time visiting the museum and exploring the history of the mail in our country. There are a lot of interactive exhibits. It made me appreciate all over again the value of a handwritten letter or a card that you get in the mail... we need to get back to that. Good old-fashioned letter writing, what a novel idea.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Shellcapri
Gilbert
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Informative and children friendly.”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Great place to go to learn about the postal system. There are some hands on activities for children. Children like the railroad car, truck, and activities available.

San Francisco, California
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Gets Better and Better”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

This may sound like a quirky go-see, but the National Postal Museum is my favorite of the Smithsonian museums--the exhibits are interactive and very interesting on both floors. Plan your visit to coincide with a bite at Union Station next door.

1 Thank Rosie K