Book In Advance
Tours from Washington Photo Safari tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!

Ways to Experience Washington Photo Safari
from $79.00
from $89.00
from $99.00
More Info
All reviews david luria an excellent instructor night photography tips and tricks photography skills manual settings professional photographer shutter speed dslr camera learning experience learned how cherry blossoms national cathedral washington area his knowledge great pictures union station
Selected filters
Reviewed June 7, 2019

I have attended many of David's safaris and am amazed at all the knowledge you gain from him. Not only about photography, but also about the area or institutions you are visiting.He takes time to help you individually and explains what you are either doing wrong or how to do it better. He knows the history of so many places and he has such a wonderful friendly personality. Our trip to the National Cathedral was just amazing as he took us to parts of the Cathedral the public is not allowed to visit. Our trip to see the Sunset Parade at the Iwo Jima Memorial was excellent as he explained how to set your camera before the ceremony began and checked to make sure you weren't having any problems during the ceremony. He also told us the best places to stand to get the best shots of the Marines as they practiced before the ceremony. Any of David's safaris is money very well spent as you will come away with more knowledge and feel good about what you have accomplished.

Date of experience: July 2018
PhotoSafariDC, Owner at Washington Photo Safari, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2019

We greatly appreciate this client's comments. At Washington Photo Safari we always stress that the first question a person should ask when picking up the camera is: "Why have I decided to take this picture? What is the purpose of this picture and who is it for?" When it comes to monuments and churches and historic places, it is very useful to know some history so that the picture will have much more personal meaning to the photographer

For example, at Washington National Cathedral there is a very pretty purple window with abstract round figures and a black spot in the middle of one of them. The picture is much more meaningful to the photographer if he or she knows that this window, designed and built in the 1970's, is a tribute to the American space program. The small globe at the bottom is the Earth, and the large globe at the top is the Moon, with a figure eight line encircling the Earth and Moon, which represents a satellite in elliptical orbit around the Earth and Moon. In the middle of the large globe is a black spot, which is actually a rock brought back from the Moon by astronaut Buzz Aldrin, once an elder of the Cathedral! Knowing all that makes the picture more interesting to the photographer AND the viewer!

Reviewed May 21, 2019

I have attended 60 Safaris over the years. These covered a wide range of topics: monuments, portraits, night photography, artistic composition, specific cameras, pets, events, business of photography, and more.

David Luria's knowledge of the monuments is legendary - historical background, best compositional angles, etc. He is supported by experts who are always very patient and helpful.

Every Safari is packed with tips to satisfy a wide range of photographic abilities. Obviously not every aspect of photography can be taught in one session but participants are free to ask questions.

Date of experience: May 2019
PhotoSafariDC, Owner at Washington Photo Safari, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2019

We appreciate this client's response. It is high praise indeed coming from a person who has participated in so many of our safaris over the years. We try and offer a wide variety of photographic experiences so that clients can test their skills in different environments under the guidance of a professional photographer

Reviewed March 4, 2019

I have taken several photo safaris and all have been excellent. I got to see many new things in Washington and came back with many fine photos. David provides helpful guidance on how to get the best shots.

Date of experience: February 2019
Reviewed January 13, 2019

David was a great guide! You can tell he has a passion for photography, and patient when it comes to teaching. I am an experienced photographer, but I even learned a trick! Thanks David! My friend and I definitely had fun taking pictures in Georgetown. The Safaris in DC are worth every penny and I would highly recommend them to others!

Date of experience: December 2018
1  Thank Joanna C
PhotoSafariDC, Owner at Washington Photo Safari, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2019

Washington DC offers so many opportunities for picture taking, which is why we call it a Photographer's Paradise! Each year at holiday time Georgetown puts on a special lighting display called Georgetwon GLOW, which offers a great chance to teach nighttime photography with tripods. We had 24 people participate in 3 photo safaris with Georgetown GLOW this year, many of them got images as nice as the ones shown here by this client.

Reviewed January 3, 2019

I've taken many photo safaris over the last decade or so. They are a great way to expand my experience and try new approaches to photography. For example, I'm hesitant to do night photography on my own, but I had a great time on the Georgetown Glow safari. I knew that David Luria would help me if I ran into problems with my camera, tripod, etc. I am very pleased with the photos that resulted.

Date of experience: January 2019
1  Thank 785juliem
PhotoSafariDC, Owner at Washington Photo Safari, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2019

This is high praise indeed coming from a very accomplished and creative photographer. The unique lighting of the Georgetown GLOW exhibits provided many opportunities for a person with great imagination.