“I'm so pleased I booked this!”

Washington Photo Safari
Book In Advance
More Info
$99.00*
and up
Icons of Capitol Hill Photo Safari
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Washington Photo Safari is one of the country's leading providers of amateur photographer instruction. Established in 1999, it was the first program of regularly scheduled local photo safaris in the nation. It teaches the techniques of photography by taking visitors and local residents on half-day and full-day outdoor photo shoots around key sites of the nation's capital and other cities, while an accompanying professional photographer offers participants hands-on extensive tips in the use of several camera models, image composition and design, proper exposure and lighting, and posing "models" to the best effect. Washington Photo Safari provides hands-on photography training field trips with a team of 11 professional photographers giving instruction to hundreds of clients every month on local and domestic outdoor itineraries. Since 1999, over 35,800 amateur photographers have been trained on 5,400 safaris by Washington Photo Safari, 10,400 of them returning as repeat clients
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed March 21, 2017

We did a full day photography course and were delighted with the day and how informative David is. My boyfriend is more experienced at photography than me but we both got a great deal of useful tips and information! I am a total beginner and had not ever used the different settings. A month later and I am using what I learnt and putting into practice what I was shown in Washington. Thanks for a great day!

All reviews
"private lesson"
"patient instructor"
"amateur photographer"

Reviewed March 15, 2017

I received this tour as a b-day present and it was really a great experience. David is a photography guru -very informed, patient, and passionate. The class was very personal as well, as David took time to know all of us and tried to personalize the experience based on what we wanted to get out of it. Also learned a good deal about the Monuments themselves and how to get more comfortable with my camera. I will sign up for another session with the Photo Safari next month. Highly recommended for photo enthusiasts of all levels.

PhotoSafariDC, Owner at Washington Photo Safari, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2017

We always feel it is important to make our instruction tailored to the specific needs and interests of each client. Some are more skilled than others, they have a good artistic sense but need more help with the technology of their cameras. Others are strong on the technology but feel they are weak in composition and artistry. Some are interested in nature and landscapes, others in portraits, children and pets. Because our groups are small, 4-5 people, we can give close hands-on attention to the skills of each person.

Based on the reviews we have received over the years, we seem to be on the right track! And one of the most common comments we get on the safari is; "Darn! I WISH we had done this before our trip to...... last year!"

Reviewed February 9, 2017

I signed up for the Monuments and Memorials: Travel Photography - Half Day course in order to learn the basics of my newly purchased DSLR camera. I ended up being the only one on the safari that day and got a private lesson in photography from David that day. Great experience! I knew next to nothing about photography beyond the automatic mode. David patiently reviewed the different modes on the camera, when to use them, and had plenty of sample photographs. Afterwards, we visited the Vietnam War, Korean War, and Lincoln Memorials to put what I had just learned into practice. David tailored the experience to the type of photography I would be doing and my experience level. I definitely want to return for another safari!

PhotoSafariDC, Owner at Washington Photo Safari, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2017

We always enjoy teaching clients like this one who are new to their cameras because they take such joy in discovering all the things a good camera can do, even more effectively than a cell phone!

Reviewed January 7, 2017 via mobile

Booked this tour as surprise for my girlfriend, who had always wanted to learn how to do more with her camera. Despite it being a freezing cold December morning, David walked and drove us around the sites all while sharing tips and techniques for taking better photos. We each felt we'd improved after just a half-day and now have a few tricks in our pocket when framing our next photos! David is also a long-time D.C. local so is fount of knowledge about our city's plethora of interesting monuments, memorials, history and other quirky facts.

See more reviews
Reviewed December 3, 2016

We had a fantastic experience today with Washington Photo Safari. We had four people and Dave in our group. Dave is very patient and helpful; he provided a wealth of very useful information shooting photos in different atmospheric and lighting conditions . After many years of using my camera on the automatic setting, I finally feel ready to step out of my comfort zone to use the many features on my camera . On top of that, Dave made the experience fun .My husband brought his tablet and , with Dave's assistance, experimented with it's camera settings. Highly recommend for a stimulating and unique way to experience Washington and improve your photography skills.