“Loved loved loved my photo safari day!!!”

Washington Photo Safari
Book In Advance
More Info
$69.00*
and up
DC Smartphone Photo Safari at Night
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Washington Photo Safari is one of the country's leading providers of amateur photographer instruction. Established in 1999, it was the first program of regularly scheduled local photo safaris in the nation. It teaches the techniques of photography by taking visitors and local residents on half-day and full-day outdoor photo shoots around key sites of the nation's capital and other cities, while an accompanying professional photographer offers participants hands-on extensive tips in the use of several camera models, image composition and design, proper exposure and lighting, and posing "models" to the best effect. Washington Photo Safari provides hands-on photography training field trips with a team of 11 professional photographers giving instruction to an average of 5 clients every day on local and domestic outdoor itineraries. Over 36,100 amateur photographers have been trained on 5,400 safaris since 1999 by Washington Photo Safari, 10,500 of them returning as repeat clients
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed July 2, 2016

I love taking pictures and I discovered photo tours on trip advisor. I have done them in Kauai and in Istanbul. Hawaii was more like lets take you to cool places to shoot. Istanbul was a few hours with some assistance but my day with David taught me soooo much!! He did so much more than just take you around to great sights. It was a small group- 3 of us total- at all different levels. He knew everyone's camera and helped everyone get the best shots. He really taught me alot about my camera and the settings with lots of practice on lots of shots. I did the whole day. My only regret is that the photo tour was at the end of my time in DC so I didn't get to practice more while I was there. I took notes and look forward to practicing more!! If you love taking photos and want to learn more about your camera, I highly recommend David's class. It would be helpful if you knew the basics of how to operate your camera and how to use the dials etc to get the most out of the class. I only hope I can remember most of what he taught me!!! Many thanks for a great day. He does so many different types of tours in DC. Wouldn't hesitate to do another one if i get back there!!

PhotoSafariDC, Owner at Washington Photo Safari, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2016

We founded Washington Photo Safari in 1999 because Washington DC is one of the most photogenic cities on the planet. It has everything a photographer could want: not only does it offer free access to beautiful architecture, historic structures, incredibly lovely houses of worship, nighttime cityscapes, and impressive monuments, but it also has waterfalls, fountains, fireworks, zoo animals, and ethnic festivals. In short, if you love to take pictures with ANY camera or phone, THIS is the place to be: DC: a photographer's paradise!

Our job at Washington Photo Safari is not only to show you WHERE to take pictures in this area, but also HOW to take them! As this reviewer points out, our 18 years of experience have taught us to understand the menus of all camera models and so we spend a lot of time on each "safari" explaining simple but important concepts like white balance, ISO settings, shutter speeds, apertures, use of Manual Mode, and photographic composition. To accomodate the individual skill levels of each client, we work with each person individually , helping to improve the images while they are being taken, not after the fact.

We can do this because our groups are small, generally 4-8 people per group. In almost 18 years we have performed this service on 4,800 group safaris for 33,400 people, an average of less than 7 persons per group. Many clients also opt for our private tutoring sessions, which give them 2-3 hours of undivided personal attention.

Thus, we see our mission as twofold: 1) helping clients get better pictures during their time in the DC area; and , 2) more importantly, preparing them to be better photographers before they leave on their NEXT trip! As a result, we often hear the comment :" I just wish I had done this BEFORE our trip to Italy last year!"

However, our all-time favorite comment is this one: "I just LOVE Washington Photo Safari! it gets my husband out of the house so that i can get some work done!"

So, whether you are coming to get out of the house, need an excuse to see the sights of DC or because you feel you really DO need professional help with your camera, we welcome you!

All reviews
"learning experience"
"great pics"
"his knowledge"

Reviewed June 18, 2016

I've taken three safaris and am signed up for my fourth. On each one, attendees have been of mixed skills. Those unfamiliar with any way to shoot but on full AUTO learn how to make use of their camera controls to take better pictures. The more experienced gain insights that will improve the end products. The safaris (the ones I've taken) cover a good balance of technical instruction and guidance on visualization. However expert you are, you'll learn. David Luria is a patient and accomplished teacher.

PhotoSafariDC, Owner at Washington Photo Safari, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2016

We appreciate this review by Passante 711, especially because it comes from a client who is eager to learn about all the features his camera has to offer. Nothing makes a teacher happier than helping clients discover their "Aha! So THAT's what that button does!" moments, opening up new possibilities for them in photography

Reviewed May 24, 2016

I actually purchased this trip for my father at a charity auction. He loves to take photos but he's pretty much a "point and shoot" guy. I decided I would go with him and break out my old DSLR which was gathering dust in my closet. I'm also a total noob and have received no real instruction on how to use the camera.

We did the nighttime tour of the monuments since so that we could spend the rest of the day with entire family together doing the usual tourist stuff. I'm also local to the area and a big fan of the monuments at night so I figured this would be fun. IMPORTANT: you will need a tripod for the night classes (which I purchased for like $30 on Amazon).

David was an excellent instructor. He was very knowledgable on the capabilities of each of our cameras. The skill level ranged from complete noob to amateur so we didn't feel out of place. David worked with each of us individually to help "dial in" our settings and get things right.

We had a great time - highlight of the trip. I showed the photos to a friend of mine at work and he couldn't believe them! He decided he was going to sign up for a class soon too.

I was definitely inspired to come back on my own again soon and practice what I learned during the class. I was surprised that I enjoyed the challenge of figuring out how to take just the right photo.

PhotoSafariDC, Owner at Washington Photo Safari, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2016

We appreciate this review from Sean. it highlights the fact that our approach to photography instruction is very individualized, hands-on, one on one.

Our typical group size is 5-7 people, so we can give enough individual attention to each person according to that person's skill level. We look at the picture you have just taken in Manual Mode and we say: "Go faster, increase your shutter speed two notches." You do it and suddenly the color is more saturated, you have improved the picture then and there, giving you the satisfaction you have done a good job! You THOUGHT the original picture was fine, we showed you how to make it BETTER!

The reason why photography is such a popular hobby is because it allows us to create little works of art at the push of a button! This act reinforces our sense of self-worth, as in :"Hey, I'm not such a bad guy after all. Look what I just did!" Our goal at Washington Photo Safari is to make you even happier with yourself by improving your technique!

Reviewed May 14, 2016

The WPS - Baltimore Mount Vernon Photo Safari on May 7, 2016 hosted by Steve Rosenbach was a great experience!  We toured the Mount Vernon Place and the Washington Monument, the Peabody Institute, and the Baltimore Basilica. Steve knows the history of the area thoroughly and enjoyed sharing it with the group. Steve is also an accomplished photographer and was fully invested in us and our photos. He tirelessly guided us, coached us with our camera settings and reviewed our actual shots with the goal of improving and learning. We came away with terrific outdoor and indoor images. I can’t recommend this experience enough and if you get the opportunity to take this or any other session with Steve, grab it fast!

PhotoSafariDC, Owner at Washington Photo Safari, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2016

We are fortunate to have Steve Rosenbach as one of our instructors. In addition to being a creative photographer, he is very friendly, outgoing, and helpful to his clients, showing them how to frame images they never knew were there! He also knows where to find all the best pictures in Baltimore and in his hometown of Annapolis, saving experienced amateurs or professionals the time it takes to do scouting of subjects, angles, and time of day.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 13, 2016

This is a must tour for any photographer and any level. David's knowledge not only of photography, but Washington in general alone is a reason to take this tour. Does not matter you level of photography. I consider myself an advance amature-semi professional and I learned a lot from David. Next time I am in Washington, I will sign up for another of his safaris

PhotoSafariDC, Owner at Washington Photo Safari, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2016

We appreciate John's review. which highlights the safari itself and David Luria's knowledge of Washington DC. A city kid at heart, David grew up in New York City, lived in France, Germany, Colombia and Panama before moving to DC in 1970. The nation's capital has become his adopted city. He calls it" One of the most photogenic cities in the world. The monuments, the memorials, the historic structures, the churches, the festivals, the parks, and the free museums all combine to make it a GREAT place to take pictures! And the restrictions on building height provide a low skyline that lets light flow into the city, unlike the dark canyons of bigger cities with skyscrapers. Having lived and photographed +here for 46 years, " he says, "I know where all the pictures are and I am happy to take you there!"