“Library of Congress and Ronald Reagan National Airport”

Washington Photo Safari
$84.00*
National Mall Photo Safari by Circulator Bus
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Washington Photo Safari is one of the country's leading providers of amateur photographer instruction. Established in 1999, it was the first program of regularly scheduled local photo safaris in the nation. It teaches the techniques of photography by taking visitors and local residents on half-day and full-day outdoor photo shoots around key sites of the nation's capital and other cities, while an accompanying professional photographer offers participants extensive tips in the use of several camera models, image composition and design, proper exposure and lighting, and posing "models" to the best effect. Washington Photo Safari provides hands-on photography training field trips with a team of 11 professional photographers giving instruction to hundreds of clients every month on local and domestic outdoor itineraries. Since 1999, over 33,600 amateur photographers have been trained on 4,800 safaris by Washington Photo Safari, 9,200 of them as repeat clients returning for two or more of the 140 safari itineraries that we offer. Washington Photo Safari provides hands-on instruction to amateur and professional photographers in such techniques as travel, architectural, nighttime, real estate, portrait, child, food and product work, water drop, long-lens nature work, stacked focus, smoke photography, green screen and studio use, composition, museum interior and artwork, abstract, multiple exposure, and event photography. Due to favorable customer reviews. Washington Photo Safari has received three certificates of Excellence from Trip Advisor in 2013, 2014 and again in 2015, and was recently featured in a full page article in the Sunday Travel Section of the Chicago Tribune. Its founder and director is E.David Luria, an architectural photographer whose work has appeared in over 100 publications and calendars. Fluent in Spanish, French, German and English, Mr Luria is a US Army veteran, an honors graduate of Amherst College, and received his photography training through the New York Institute of Photography and in Paris at the Parson School of Design with a protege of Henri Cartier Bresson.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
LEWISBURG
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Library of Congress and Ronald Reagan National Airport”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Thanks to a recalcitrant President and Congress the Library of Congress was closed, the National Building Museum was setting up for an event, and the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception was substituted. Do not worry about signing up for a workshop in advance because David will have a plan A, plan B, and even plan C. This National Shrine was an acceptable location for E. David Luria's workshop for architectural photography. We had opportunities to photograph the grounds, the exterior, and a wide variety of interiors with a wide variety of lighting conditions. He gave those students with changeable lenses the opportunity to work with a shift lens.
At the Ronald Reagan National Airport, we worked from the top of the parking garage and inside all terminals. We must have looked like paparazzi, for many travelers asked for whom were we waiting to photograph.
My husband is the more advanced photographer, and even I learn a lot about using the manual settings on my Nikon Coolpix P510. Spouses can take the workshops and not be bored because there is always so much to be learned about whatever camera you carry and the location of the workshop.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank hikerrenee

• Arabic first
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great Photography Tour”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I attended a half day monuments and memorials tour in early October, and absolutely loved it. I take lots of pictures, and have always wanted to learn more about the different functions on my DSLR camera and how to use them to take better photos. This was the perfect opportunity to do so...you learn and then put it into action, it all clicked so much better than sitting in a classroom or reading it in a manual. David had great photo examples and was a very kind, and knowledgeable teacher. Our classroom was a park bench right across the street from the White House, which was pretty cool! My group was only 3 people, so we got plenty of instruction and attention. I'm so glad I decided to sign up...well worth it!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Melissa J
3 attraction reviews
“Outstanding photography tour”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This was an absolute highlight to my tour. I attended a half day DC monuments and a 2 hour private tutoring session at night. David has a wealth of knowledge and an excellent instructional technique to ensure that people of all abilities are catered for. As an advanced intermediate I found that David was still able to challenge me and teach me how to improve my photography whilst still seeing done of the sights. Within our group tour we had a variety of skill levels and I was greatly impressed my how David was able to tailor his teaching to allow all to learn. Truly a 5 star photography tour.

Visited September 2013
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Washington Safari and Davids approach to teaching”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Classes are kept small 4 to 7 people allowing for plenty of 1 on 1 time. David teaches on each persons individual level of knowledge/skill. With a focus on composition he shows you DC in a whole new light. David is very knowledgeable in all major brands and can help you learn your camera and how to use the creative functions. I would recommend any of his Safaris. It is definitely worth mentioning that David also does 1 on 1 training for those who need some extra help with how to use their new camera or are aspiring photographers who maybe thinking about how they can turn their hobby into a job/career. The price was extremely reasonable. I would recommend If your in DC check him out!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank luvurworld
PhotoSafariDC, Owner at Washington Photo Safari, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
I am so glad that this client found our approach to teaching photography helpful. We believe that photography is best taught in the field, rather than in a classroom, with the instructor first giving a general orientation to the clients and then working with clients individually while they are taking pictures.

With this approach, the instructor is able to help the client correct mistakes on the spot, right after the picture is taken, a hands-on approach that lets the client's own fingers push the right buttons and dials to make the necessary corrections on exposure, lighting, composition, ISO settings and white balance. We feel that this approach is more helpful than a post-safari critique of photos taken because now, after the fact, it is too late to make the corrections.

Photography is both a visual and a tactile art, similar to playing a musical instrument. The intellectual memory of photographic theory has to be coupled with muscle memory in the fingers so that client can look at the picture he or she just took, know what's wrong, and know how to fix it.

Our instructors do NOT to bring their own cameras on our safaris, even for demonstration purposes. Instead, we help the clients individually make the adjustments in their own cameras until the images they take meet our standards of good photography

Our instructors are all professional photographers who use these techniques on a daily basis. They know where all the good pictures are in each venue, and they know the menus of almost all the camerasl This knowledge ,and our unique approach to teaching , help explain why hundreds of our clients return every year as repeat customers coming on two or more safaris.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Informative and Amazing”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My mother and I attended the National Cathedral tour in June 2013. My mother is an amateur with a new camera and I would consider myself an hobby photographer, but with no experience with architectural/indoor photography. My purpose for joining the tour was to get instruction and build strategies for low-light photography (without a tripod) before visiting European cathedrals. Needless to say, I walked away with that and more. The introduction to the tour was informative and the shared tips were invaluable throughout the tour. We broke up into two smaller groups to explore, each group with an instructor. While in the nave, we were able to freely explore, which made it difficult to find the instructor to ask a question, but with plenty of time I was able to trial and error my compositions, find the instructor to ask for tips and then go back and try it again. The tour of the roof and (clerestory?) was amazing. Thank you to Mr. Bittner for providing a unique historical perspective of the tour as well. While our tour was only to last about 4 hours, we were there for nearly 4.5 hours! I would love to go back and visit once the netting is taken down.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank CharleneMF
PhotoSafariDC, Owner at Washington Photo Safari, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
We are so glad that this reviewer enjoyed our safari at Washington National Cathedral. it is one of our most popular safaris, always in great demand because we accompany the photographic tips with historical information provided by a Cathedral docent. And part of the fee paid by clients goes as a donation to the Cathedral's efforts to repair the $15 million in damages it suffered during the 2011 earthquake.