Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
Open today: 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception

With over 70 altars, this shrine is almost too much. We were there for 2 hours, took over 300... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
RayGCincinnati_OH
Cincinnati, OH
One of the 8 largest Catholic basilicas in the world!

We had an excellent tour for our small group of three, which takes about an hour to cover the Crypt... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago

from $13.50
from $150.00
from $13.50
1,768 results
All reviews catholic university side chapels upper church brookland cua attend mass blessed mother virgin mary sunday mass gift shop beautiful mosaics chapels dedicated crypt level non catholics the lower level book store stained glass awe inspiring
Reviewed December 8, 2014

There is nothing more alluring during the holiday season, Christmas time, than the Basilica, it is beautifully decorated and there is just this aura of peace and tranquility as you stroll the shrine, right next to Catholic University the ground are beautiful and kept immaculate.

Reviewed December 5, 2014

Went here because I had heard it is one of the largest church's one the world (7th I think), amd it was only an hour from where I live. Place was amazing! I'm not a religious person, but even this place had me thinking that god could be right over my shoulder. I recommend this place to everyone who likes good architecture, beautiful art pieces, and wants to be impressed.

1  Thank Mary T
Reviewed December 4, 2014

Holy Cow! The individual shrines dedicated to Mary that surround the church are beautiful and it was great to see what each country added to the shrine. The mosaics are fabulous and worth the trip, and I guarantee you'll never see another Jesus like this one again!

1  Thank Phliz
Reviewed December 3, 2014

I am not at all religious, but I can appreciate the Basilica as a work of art. I absolutely loved the mosaic which adorn the interior. The hallway ceiling is decorated with rich gold designs, as you walk the halls, look up and let it evoke whatever feeling it may, in you. Make sure that you walk around to see the beautiful chapels, each uniquely decorated. Walk about it to find one that resonates most with you. The one with the dragon is definitely my favorite in this beautiful shrine.

1  Thank kitty567
Reviewed December 3, 2014

There are many churches in and around Washington, DC; and then there is the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, located at 400 Michigan Avenue, NE

I remember the first time I visited this church was in 2004 and I was blown away by its beauty and its inviting charm, to the point that I joined their congregation and always look forward to the beautiful Sunday services here. The construction began in 1920 and in 1959 it opened--unfinished--to the public.

With its Byzantine Revival style architecture, the Shrine is the biggest church in the United States, the tallest building in Washington, DC and the 8 largest church building in the world. An estimated 1 million people visit the Shrine every year.

Inside, the marble-clad halls are adorned with very high, vaulted ceilings and pillars that share their warmth and brightness with the magnificent stained-glass windows, mosaics and paintings; and are beset with chapels dedicated to the saints of many countries. The lower levels house additional chapels, the gift shop and the facilities.

The Shrine was visited by Pope John Paul II in 1990 and every year a nuncio from the Vatican travels here for the exhilarating celebrations of the Holy Night and the New Year's masses and choirs. This is one site where the believers of any religion or creed find peace and tranquility and yearn to go back and visit again whenever they can.