Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Beautiful Church”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

The first thing is we went with two kids (1 and 3 yrs). We got there using the metro rail. You need to walk like 10 mins from the nearest station. We had strollers, so we had to take the elevator, and the route that we had to take was a little scary to walk because it had almost no sidewalk. When we went back we took another route, much safer, but didn't has an accessible entrance for us.

The church is stunning. I wish we had more time to see it, but we took the mass so we didn't had enough time to walk around. But my husband told that the Crypta was beautiful and impressive. If you are going with little children, know that you need to have your kids very quiet. I received a few nagging.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Florida
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Beautiful and Serene”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I love old churches and cathedrals and saw the rating on TripAdvisor about this spot. The Basilica is BEAUTIFUL. It was like visiting one of the Smithsonian Museums. The history and artwork is breathtaking. My 6 and 9 yrs. olds were fascinate with the mosaics, stained glass windows and little chapels that were hidden on the bottom floor from around the world. You do not have to be religious to appreciate the history and artwork that is throughout the building.

Orlando, Florida
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“If your a christian, you must make a visit!”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Loved walking through the cathedral. The gift shop had everything you could possibly need. Wish we could have attended a mass. Would have been very neat!

Northville, Michigan
241 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 184 helpful votes
“Quaint, for the faithful.”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My late Italian grandmother and mother venerated the Blessed Mother as well as this shrine and I continue the faith for them. Made it a point to visit the shrine and was pleased to find it inviting and a spiritual experience.

Visited April 2012
Schulenburg, Texas
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Surprisingly Good!”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My mother-in-law watches a tv show that is broadcast from the Basilica and talked about how beautiful it was. We heard that it had some beautiful sculptures, so decided to visit. We caught a railcar and walked about 3 blocks, and I am so glad we did. Sign up for a tour, they are free and it lasts about 30-45 minutes. The docents are very knowledgeble and friendly, and guide you through giving histories about the various statues, customs, and particulars of the artwork. They encourage you to walk back through by yourself and see the things that interest you most. There are many many chapels and you will occasionally see people in meditation or attending mass, but as long as you are not disturbing anyone, there is absolutely no problem. If not for anything else, go for the artwork, or the architecture, or the sheer beauty of it all. The basilica is on the campus of the Catholic University. There is of course, a giftshop, and believe it or not, that was fun. (I got something for my Mother-in-law)

Visited October 2012
1 Thank LRB978249

Travelers who viewed Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception also viewed

Been to Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception? Share your experiences!