“Beautiful hotel, barely adequate service”

Fairmont Washington, D.C. Georgetown
Ranked #18 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 30, 2006

To people who enjoy a beautiful hotel, this hotel is for you. It is absolutely beautiful and first class in that sense. The common areas were gorgeous and the room my wife and I had was large and well appointed.

That said, we were VERY disappointed with the service at the hotel. We left with the impression that the employees were ill trained. Problems with the restaurant-- slow service although it was not busy. Problems with the concierge-- unable to give good restaurant recommendations in Georgetown. Problems with the lobby staff-- again just very slow when not busy. We had to pay for use of the business center-- we are premier members of the President's Club and have never before paid for that service. Finally, to get one extra hour for a late check out, we were told it was impossible without paying for half a day. The excuse was that DC's normal check out is 11:00am and the hotel offers everyone a complementary late check out of 1:00pm, therefore, we were already given a late check out. I failed to understand that logic because if everyone is given a complementary late check out of 1pm, then don't you have a de facto check out of 1pm?

All in all, we were not made to feel special at this hotel. Now, not that "feeling special" is absolutely necessary at a hotel, but that is how we were made to feel in past stays at the Fairmont and we expected the same in DC. I doubt we will stay at the DC Fairmont in future trips.

I should also say that our room rate was AMAZING. With a Club upgrade we got a beautiful room for cheap. So, with that said, maybe we got what we paid for in this stay.

5  Thank Bthomas314
Write a ReviewReviews (3,059)

Reviewed May 29, 2006

Stayed at the Washington Fairmont for three days in May. We had standard rooms which were spacious and clean. The decor is typical hotel, but in good condition. We had gotten a very good price, as it was the long memorial day weekend.
The lobby and atrium are beautiful and we had breakfast outside in the garden, which was lovely.
The staff were very pleasant and helpful. One of the restaurant choices, Ristorante La Perla which was recommended by the concierge was much more expensive than we had asked for and not really worth the trip. For the price, we could have eaten in a much nicer restaurant.
The hotel is in a good location for touring and seeing the sights, an easy walk to Georgetown or Dupont Circle.
The Grillfish restaurant was a good spot for a very casual easy meal and Bread and Chocolate, next block over a good breakfast spot.
One of the members of our group used the lap pool and said it was not the best, and not that clean.
Would recommend this hotel and would stay again.

4  Thank kateToronto
Reviewed May 26, 2006

Stayed at the Fairmont from May 20th - 26th. My #1 suggestion to anyone staying here is to join their executive club (its free) BEFORE staying or checking in at the Hotel. I had to have a late night battle with the clerk who said that I would be charged $14/day for high speed internet access since I didn't sign my membership card BEFORE I sighed the check in form.

Great things about this hotel include:

* One of the best Hotel gyms I have ever used. If you don't belong to the executive club (see above) you have to pay $15/visit. All the equipment is brand new.
* Great room (#750) overlooking the central courtyard. We opened our balacony doors and let the cool breezes blow in during the day
* Close to Georgeown (Nuff said)
* Close to Metro stop (4 blocks)
* Free shoe shines

My only complaint

* The fire alarm went off three times during our stay. We received no explanation from the Hotel staff on why this occured.

In short, we will be back.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
10  Thank ksbirdhunter
Reviewed May 17, 2006

We stayed in The Fairmont for three nights over Easter weekend. We got a wonderful holiday rate ($143.00), but even at a higher price The Fairmont would have been worth it.

The service was right on target from start to finish. We were able to check in quickly even though we arrived about three hours before check in officially started. We were given a room with a balcony upon request. We were smiled at and greeted anytime we came or went. We ordered room service our first night and it was our best meal in DC.

The room itself was large and comfortable. I loved having the balcony. The were parties going on in the courtyard which the balcony overlooked on two of the three night that we were there. We left the doors open and listrened to the roving violin. And when we closed the doors all of the party noise went away.

We didn't use the fitness area but we took a look. It was extensive to say the least. We did use the high speed internet with no problems.(Sign up for their President Club so that there is no extra charge for either of these things.) We also found the consierge to be extremely pleasant and helpful.

All in all it was a great part of a great vacation. Highly recommended.

10  Thank m24601h
Reviewed May 15, 2006

We stayed at the Fairmont from May 13th to May15 th..
I had investigated extensively where to stay.. and thought this place would fit out needs to a T..
I had tryed to reservations a little closer to the monuments.. but the metro is a short 2 blocks away..
George town as well is just 2 blocks away...
The people working there where nothing but nice nice nice..
I joined the Presidents club prior to going there.I reccomend this.. you get access into the fitness club which is awesome.. for free..
To join is free as well..
We as well received complimentary New York times and Washington Post as well.. and it appeared I got a room upgrade.. we had a larger room with a sofa and chair and desk as well as 2 double beds.. the bathroom was neat and tidy and had anything.. plus what I needed..
It is 27 per day to park there..I could not get a reservation for the Sunday brunch so if you think you might try it.. call very far ahead..
We found a great place reccomended on here called Bread and Chocolite.. wonderful for breakfast or lunch and very moderately priced for DC..
This place is all about pamper.. big time..the gardens.. the piano in the lobby.. 'I Loved it.. and very very very quiet...
I would def return.. and I"M telling you.. for my money.. it was worth is and more..
book onlyionline to get their best rate.. and as well remember to join the Presidents Club for free for extra perks...
and ENJOY YOUR STAY!

5  Thank sunshinehally
Reviewed May 15, 2006

We stayed on the gold floor and the staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are
beautifully decorated and comfortable with big bathrooms and the room was very clean.
Enjoyed dinner at Juniper, was delicious. The hotel is within walking distance to
Georgetown. Loved my weekend at the Fairmont and would definitely stay again.

4  Thank janRichmond3
A TripAdvisor Member
Ohio
Reviewed April 19, 2006

We stayed at the Fairmont in April. We booked two connecting rooms--one for my husband and three boys, the other, for my brother, a quadriplegic, who needed handicap accesibility. I found the valet staff upon arrival very curt and unfriendly, Neither the valet, or, his staff welcomed us with a smile, or a "Welcome, to the Fairmont". I was instantly irritated with this considering my great experiences with other "higher end" hotels, and their courteous and accomodating staff. I was always under the impression, as far as hotels go, that you get what you pay for. This is not so at the Fairmont, strike number one. The amount we paid for each room went as follows:(first night $199, second night $299, third night $522). As we checked in, my husband asked if he could have the bill split two ways--one bill I would pay for my room, the other to my brother, for his room--The clerk replied with "We can't do that." strike number two. We wanted a hotel with a pool, so the boys could swim. We were charged $10.00 each day, for use of the pool and the fitness center. The children were not allowed into the fitness center, this was evident by the large red signs stating no one under the age of 18 allowed. I understand this, but when my son, came into the fitness center to find me, and ask a question, he was hounded by a fitness staffer. It was obvious he was not supposed to be there. The children were designated to swim in a very small area of the pool, and not allowed into the whirlpool, which was two feet away from the pool, or, the sauna, which was three feet away--Not even the option "children allowed if accompanied by an adult". My husband was so enraged with this, he intentionally went into the sauna with my boys and was asked to leave by a man, who was sitting in the sauna. Strike number three. The second day, I was to meet my neice and her boyfriend for lunch, I suggested eating outside in the open air atrium, where they have many table,chairs and umbrella's. I aproached the staff person and said my neice would be meeting me for lunch, and we would love to eat outside. She replied with "We are not set up to do lunches outside". I turned to my left and pointed out the women eating a lunch at one of the tables, in the atrium. She turned in a huff and asked her manager if this was o.k.. He reluctantly agreed, once again pointing out that it was not set up for lunch. Strike number four. I could write more, but I think I've made my point. This being said, I would not recommend the Fairmont to anyone with children, husbands, a upscale place for outside dining, , or, for someone who equates higher priced hotels with excellent service, and a friendly, accomodating staff.

• Stayed: April 2006