We just returned from a 5 night stay at the Fairmont Georgetown. Just a little background info -we are a family of 3, I worked as a chef for 20 years and my wife in the front of house for 20 years and our 14 year old son.
We came to celebrate my wife's 40th birthday and we had a great time. The staff were very attentive and when they found out it was my wife's 40th, there were some very nice extra touches added to the stay. We had dinner at Juniper the first night which was a lovely meal and fairly priced. It was a great way to relax after a long drive into the city.
Our room was very clean, large and a pleasure to hang out in. The housekeepers were amazing. Every night I felt like we were walking into a hotel room for the first night every night.
Also-join the presidents club before you go and you get free wifi and complimentary paper delivered to your room each morning.
A couple of tips. I am sure you have read not to drive in DC. Well don't. We drove in, parked the car and drove out. On that note, one of my only complaints would be the cost of the valet parking-$45 seems steep even for DC where parking is a headache. The next night we moved the car a couple blocks east on M street to the colonial parking lot. $22 a night seemed much more palatable. We took cabs to the Mall-about 8-10 bucks each way depending on traffic and how far you went. I would avoid the van cabs unless you need them. For some ridiculous reason, the vans are allowed to add a buck for each extra person. We started to refuse them because that bothered me in principle.
Eating in DC is a pleasure. In Georgetown around the Fairmont, there are a tonne of choices, Founding Farmers was great, Good Stuff Eatery just opened in Georgetown (get the toasted marshmallow shake). One of the best nights was a happy hour crawl up and down M street. Everywhere pretty much does happy hour on week nights, 4-7 seem to be the standard hours. 5 buck margaritas, 3 buck beers, 1/2 price house wine all washed down buck a piece oysters, crispy short rib nachos, deepfried calamari and so on. A few highlights included Tacklebox, Bandolero, Jpauls to name a few.
Food trucks around the Mall were a little dear for what we got but a little more investigation will serve you well as I think there are some amazing ones in DC, we just chose poorly.
The Fairmont was perfectly situated, the courtyard was amazing as was the lobby and lobby bar. I found the $5 a person charge for the pool off putting and a little 'nickle and dimey' for a great establishment, especially if they charge premium rates for the room and advertise the pool on the website. Little thing but it wasn't that kind of vacation for us anyhow. There is a starbucks across the street which I used once before I found a bakery called Bread and Chocolate on M and 23rd. We stopped there for coffees and pastries most mornings and it is highly recommended.
We loved DC, loved the people, loved the sights and can't wait to return...when we do, we will stay at the Fairmont again definitely.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fairmont Washington, D.C., Georgetown is pleased to announce that all of our guestrooms are newly renovated as of June 01, 2016. The newly renovated guestrooms, suites and Fairmont Gold experience transform the hotel into the premier luxury destination in the nation's capital by adding contemporary and innovative features important to today's travelers, such as multiple outlets and a multi-functional table with a chaise. We are currently enhancing our public spaces with a redesign of the courtyard and lobby. During this time, we will install temporary walls around the lounge and lobby staircase where an exhibit of "American Icons" will be displayed. We have partnered with the Georgetown gallery, Artist's Proof, to showcase historic and current American celebrities and personalities. We are working to ensure the guest experience is not impacted during your stay and look forward to welcoming you to the Fairmont Washington, D.C., Georgetown. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Fairmont Hotels, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and HotelsforEveryone so you can book your Fairmont Washington, D.C. Georgetown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fairmont Washington Dc Hotel Washington Dc
- Fairmont Washington Dc
- Fairmont Hotel Washington Dc
- Washington Dc Fairmont