New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersGold level
New York
“Comfortable stay.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I found the hotel perfectly comfortable, providing a high level of service as would be expected at this price point. My room was spacious, though I did not care for the view into the office building across a narrow alley, and I didn't hear any noise from within the hotel when I was in my room, which is important to me. The bed was very comfortable, and the room was spotless. The bathroom felt a bit dated and the shower curtain blew in on me unless the bathroom door was fully closed. I spent a fair amount of time working in my room and found plenty of electrical outlets to support all of my many devices. Room service was prompt and friendly, and they have a nice way of leaving the bill so you can decide whether or not to add an extra tip in private. The wifi was fast, but I must note that there is a daily charge for wifi - unreasonable in this day and age. It was easily avoided by joining the hotel's free loyalty program. The front desk staffer told me that while it might take a few days to process my membership and I should go ahead and select the "charge it to my room option" when accessing wireless, the charges would not show up on the bill. In my experience, this sort of assurance usually guarantees that the amount will show up on the bill and it will take a request to have them removed. But the Fairmont came through - the charges did not appear and I did not have to make an extra trip to the front desk upon checkout. I would be happy to return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stay overnight in DC at least 8 - 12 times per year for work and of all the hotels I have stayed in this one is probably one of the best! The rooms are spacious, services is excellent, good location, and without a doubt one of the cleanest properties in the area.

For the same money the Fairmont wins every time!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

I was here for two nights, for a meeting. I was unexpectedly upgraded to a corner room with a nice sitting area. Modern, well appointed and maintained room. Excellent service from the front desk, and a very good location.

Stays like this are why Fairmont is becoming one of my preferred hotel brands now. Good for business, fair price, not too flashy for an expense report.

My only concern were a bunch of minibar charges (that I hadn't incurred) added to the bill after departure. I would have called to complain, but honestly the time on the phone, explaining, etc. wasn't worth the time or money. But I wonder if this is a pattern that the manager should look into

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

A standard 5+ star hotel that have tried to add some local touches with their own honey, local produce, honey Martini etc. competing at this level I would like to see even more uniqueness. Nice breakfast, however I preferred the menu over the buffet as it (the buffet) was a little limited. Great restaurant and concierge staff, mixed experiences with the front desk. Note it takes special arrangement to get a limo service, and the BMW 7 series they brag about does not provide service to the airport (don't understand why not)

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing to back building as there noise from deliveries at night
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank EKnive
No. VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

This was a great location for my stay! We could easily walk to Georgetown and once the car was parked (CAUTION: $45 parking fee), we never got in it again.
Our room was clean and comfortable and also a decent size. The bathroom was also clean and nicely appointed.
We elected for a "Bed and Breakfast" rate which seemed a pretty good deal. Our thought was to take advantage of the buffet breakfast, but when we got downstairs, the staff was shutting down the buffet in preparation for the Sunday Brunch. No worries - we were allowed to order off the menu. Decent food that as basically included in our rate.
Now about that parking charge...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

Though the facility is attractive and the staff helpful, our stay was a big disappointment.

1) We'd selected The Fairmont in part for location but particularly for its terrific exercise facilities and pool. I even made sure to call the hotel before booking to make sure what I saw in the photos was what we'd find but on check-in were told that the whole facility was closing for renovations. We pressed for use of another facility which was available only from 11am-4pm, when we'd be working and unavailable. They should have told me when I called so we had an opportunity to find another facility. For what it's worth, the facilities really are terrific, just unavailable to us.

2) The second morning of our stay we requested privacy but returned to our room to discover the "Privacy Please" tag back on the inside of the door, a light left on and the room cleaned. Everything we had carefully left laid out on surfaces had been touched and moved. To his credit, the concierge was mortified and offered profuse apologies, yet told me that the housekeeper insisted there was no privacy notice. Bad enough a mistake was made, but lying made it worse.

I hope this was just a bad couple of days in the life of a good hotel, but I surely wouldn't risk another visit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Wellesley, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Never seen such service!! Everyone smiles and cannot wait to help. We were there for a wedding at the hotel and the staff was superb in setting up and ensuring that it ran smoothly.
What a terrific place!!!

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FWDC, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Washington, D.C. Georgetown, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Loved your comment everyone was smiling and try to help. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.