“Nightmare on Connecticut Avenue”

Churchill Hotel Near Embassy Row
Ranked #42 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
A TripAdvisor Member
“Nightmare on Connecticut Avenue”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2005

This is a very bad hotel. The rooms are musty, dark, and damp. The beds are lumpy and old. I ordered room service one night and they forgot about the order. After calling a second time, an hour later, they brought it up and still charged me for it. I used a computer at the "business center" (which is comprised of a table in a hallway) to print boarding passes. It took my money but failed to print the boarding passes. When we asked the staff about it, they said that it had done that to several other guests. If they knew about the printer problem already, why did they let me use a broken machine? They suggested that we go across the street to the Hilton and use their business center. We did and I was green with hotel envy. To top it off, when we went to check out, the desk clerk could not print out the final bill. I had it faxed a couple of days later. The pictures on the internet flatter the place. The hotel is too expensive at any price. If you want to stay in central Washington, D.C., spend the extra money for a name brand hotel. I guarantee you will be a lot happier.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2005

I stayed here for about 3 days at the end of July 2005. The best thing about the place is the location near Dupont Circle and the price. For around USD 100 it is a good deal for over priced DC. But I wouldn't pay any more than that. It is probably correctly priced at 100. The front desk was friendly enough but check-in was slow. The hotel has character and the rooms are large. My room was clean and I didn't have any problems.

It has the feel of an OLD European hotel in some far flung part of France, for example. If that is your thing then this is the place for you. But if you like things to sparkle and shine, then choose another place. I saw families there and there seemed to be a great variety of people from all over the world.

Overall, if you are just looking for a place to stay and don't want a lot of extra's, then consider the Churchill.

• Stayed July 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Fayetteville, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2005

I'm willing to overlook mistakes and imperfections, but I'd like a "sorry" and a "how was your stay?" to give me the impression that my visit is not simply a chore for the staff (which I realize, it is). From the valet to the bellman to the front desk to housekeeping, everyone was slow and a surly. For example...housekeeping didn't replace our bath towels. Nothing earth shattering. But when the front desk doesn't send them up until a second phone call at 11 PM and there's no apology, the day ends badly--and for no good reason. The room was great except the bathroom door wouldn't shut. This could be such a lovely historic hotel experience with a few staff training sessions.

• Stayed August 2005
1 Thank jrwalsh
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2005

The room was dirty - bathroom tub and floor had never been scrubbed; grout was full of black mold; hot water took about 15 mins. to reach our room, and desk clerk's response was, "it's an old hotel." His resolution was that he offered to upgrade us to a jr. suite or send an engineer to the room, which in our minds would have a) given us a larger dirty area or wasted our time and the engineer's as he pretended he could repair a plumbing issue that could not be resolved because as the desk clerk said, "it's an old hotel." As we walked across the floor of the room it was uneven and creaked like a 100 year old floor. The wallpaper in the bathroom was pealing -- not Ap pealing. They advertise it is a renovated hotel -- I would argue that although they may have replaced old drapes, painted, and installed new carpeting about 5 years ago, it was not "renovated" to a "like new" hotel by any stretch of the imagination as their advertisement implies. Also, it's four blocks uphill from the nearest metro. We paid $124/night, and thankfully, we only spent one night there, but it is the last $124 they will get from us.

Stayed July 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2005

Upon arriving at the hotel, we were given a single occupancy room for my wife and I. After I complained to the front desk, we were then given a smoking room, which we did not request. After I brought this to the attention of the front desk, we were told that a double room was available but we had to wait for housekeeping to clean up the room. It was already about 6 pm! We took a walk for about 45 minutes and when we returned we found our luggage still sitting in the lobby where we left it for the bellmen to place into storage. Finally we were given a room, but with 2 double beds instead of a king sized bed as we had requested.
The entire time, the front desk people blamed Expedia for all the problems we were encountering.
The next day we informed the front desk MANAGER, Vicky, that we did NOT want to change to a king bed for our second night stay because it was a hassle. Later when we confronted her, she claimed she did not remember our conversation.
When we came back to our room that night, we discovered that our luggage and everything in the bathroom was missing.
Oliver, the man at the front desk, told us to make a list of the items that were missing and he would write up a report. Meanwhile, he found out that our luggage had been packed and moved to a room with a king size bed.
No good hotel policy allows the staff to touch customer's personal belongings!!
We were furious that the staff packed our bags and that everything in the bathroom, including a $500 pair of glasses had gone missing during the move.
The next morning Vicky said she had read the report but she had taken no action. We were planning to leave Washington D.C. that morning, but we postponed our departure time in order to give her time to locate our missing items.
She asked what she could do to make us happy and we suggested a refund. She said she wasn't sure how to go about it because we had booked with Expedia so she took our numbers.
Expedia has been in the middle of all this and has been great. The Churchill has been giving them a hard time and refuses to cooperate in regards to the refund and continually makes excuses as to the whereabouts of the general manager.
Do not stay here if you want the staff to have access to your belongings. Do not stay here if you want poor service. In particualar, Gregory at the front desk has a poor attitude.

• Stayed May 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2005

I love this hotel for all of its architectural personality and extra, extra large rooms. I thought the linens were sumptuous and the furniture of high quality. The hallways are a tad dingy but the rooms are quite nice. Many excellent restaurants are within walking distance. This is an embassy area and it is a very safe area of the city. The hotel usually has excellent rates for the level of service and quality of rooms.

• Stayed December 2004
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2005

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in April. We booked online through Expedia and got a great discount. Upon check-in, we were advised that we had been updraged to a suite free of charge- this was a complete surprise. The suite was enormous- 5 rooms for 2 people, on the 9th floor with great views of the city.

The staff were professional, friendly and approachable, no matter how small the query. I had them send faxes to NYC for me, this they did without the blinking of an eye.

The Chartswell Grill, within the hotel, offers an excellent quality, excellent value, cooked breakfast with YUMMY preserves. We ate breakfast there every morning.

The hotel has a gym facilty, with bottles of water and fruit free of charge. There are fresh red roses on the landing of each floor, outside the elevators. Small touches like this set the Churchill apart from its immediate competitors.

The Churchill hotel was the highlight of our week's trip to the USA- we cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed April 2005