“Stay for business and pleased”

Churchill Hotel Near Embassy Row
Ranked #35 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Located at the Connecticut Ave, on the walking distance (7 min) from the DuPont Circle Metro, it is a nice old-fashioned hotel (historical, they say). Rooms are big, very American, nicely planned 100 years ago. Sowers are very American too. The property is not bright new, but it is supported in rather good condition. I did like to see the accurate fixing of the small wears. Sleeping conditions are OK, ventilation is OK, Breakfast is OK. Really the staff at entrance may be more attentive. The gym is small, but OK. The area around is good for walk

Room Tip: If you want the most quiet room, ask for the one not looking to the square. But I did live in the on...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,204)

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Quaint, old-world property with European charm. Room was spacious although the bathroom was small and cramped and not exactly updated, which we didn't mind. Room was on a higher floor and was quite quiet, hotel is centrally located near Metro, good coffee shops and restaurants and within walking distance of Embassy Row and Adams Morgan. With all the hotel had going for it, in a five day stay we were never once greeted when we arrived or walked through the lobby although they were very pleasant if engaged by us. One day 3 employees were standing at the doors when we walked up to the building and they simply continued their conversation, never looking at us, offering to open the door or a good morning. We entered through another door to avoid interrupting them and joked that we could be masked, armed terrorists walking past the registration desk but wouldn't be noticed because no one ever looked up. Funny, except it IS Washington D. C. Really is a very nice property, we enjoyed our stay there and appreciate the chuckles we got by inattentive staff, especially when we were loading our car to leave and a staff member finally approached us to inquire how long we would be staying. Five days earlier no one was to be found.

Room Tip: Our room on an upper floor was very nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Despite the fact that the Churchill Hotel is an historic landmark, our 3 days stay there were very disappointing! It felt like the management was inexistent!! The staff was nor professional nor motivated. Our first night we had the choice between a handicapped room, a room with no heat or a room next to a noisy big soda machine... Very surprising when you know that the hotel has 173 guest-rooms and suites available. Very expensive parking too and no breakfast included. The hotel is far from the mall (50 mns minimum by foot) and 15 mns from Dupont Circle. There are good restaurants and bars in the area though.

Room Tip: Check the noise problem (soda machines) and the efficiency of the A/C.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 22Emma
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Hotel was very nice. The parking was difficult and internet service should be free, but other than that it was great. I would return for a personal visit to DC. The area was wonderful and easy to walk around to eat and shop and sight see. Walked to subway to visit White House and other areas.

Room Tip: I was in 431 facing Connecticut Ave a great view and several windows, but was a little noisy from st...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in late September 2012. Though it need renovation, I was satisfied with the hotel. However there were some flaws in the operation of the hotel. For example I arrived on Saturday and had a meeting on Monday, I asked the staff for ironing my suit and dress shirt, but they told me that they do not provide the service on weekends. Of course I did not like the answer. But the location is good and safe, I was walking around the blocks near the hotel in the night, but never had a trouble. In the night there was not so much noise outside and I could have a good sleep.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Large and lovely room with comfortable beds. Situated in the lively Dupond neighborhood within walking distance of the metro.
The only downside was the expensive internet access and difficult to hear desk clerk.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel itself is in a great area, within walking distance to several restaurants. I thought the service within the bar area for drinks and dinner was pretty good, though didn't appreciate the server standing with his back to the bar, watching the tv until I cleared my throat.

We had problems with the valet service. Each day, it was an adventure to see if they could find the car, and it often took 10 minutes. On the last day, my colleague thought he'd "beat the system", and called down 15 minutes before we ready to leave and asked for the car to be brought down. They called back and alerted him it was ready (which was great). When he arrived downstairs, it was the WRONG car. So, more waiting and waiting.

Room was clean. Beds were comfortable. The bathroom layout was a bit wonky with the doors to the sink/vanity part of the bathroom opening into the doors to the toilet/shower part of the bathroom. I did appreciate the extra nook in my room that gave me a full desk to work at, but wish the mini-fridge had power (I didn't call about it, as I just wanted to keep my Diet Coke cold).

Lastly, I stayed on the 2nd floor, and wished the heavier drapes weren't just vanity drapes, and could completely cover the sheers over the whole window. I faced a street, and could see pedestrians walking by. I'd like a little more privacy.

Overall, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business