“Ideally Located”

Churchill Hotel Near Embassy Row
Ranked #42 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Just arrived back from a 10 day stay in Washington. Following a recommedation from a friend we booked to stay at the Churchill Hotel. Located just a few minutes from Dupont Circle, the hotel is ideally located with easy access to all forms of transport. The staff were friendly and always helpful and having received a free upgrade to a suite we were generally pleased with our choice of accommodation. Whilst the hotel would benefit from a refresh, the rooms, and specifically the bed, was comfortable. However, having returned to the hotel to feshen up following a full day visiting Washington's attractions, in extremely warm temperatures, to be told that the water to the hotel had been turned off until after 10pm that night without prior warning was extremely disappointing. That said, having shared the hotel over the final few days with the President of Kosova and his support team, including a number of charming representatives from the FBI, I guess our safety could not have been in better hands.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Churchill Hotel Near Embassy Row

Reviewed June 2, 2012

We stayed at the Churchill Hotel for one night and it was awesome. Very clean and the king bed was enough big for two! The staff was also very friendly and helpful!
The only thing I didn't like was, that they charge you extra for parking at their parking lot, which is also very small.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jessica T
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We stayed at the Churchill in early May. A beautiful hotel in a great location. It was a convenient location to Adam's Morgan and Chinatown, where we had dinner.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Zenzele1
Reviewed May 26, 2012

I booked two rooms with doubles beds and a seating area. We were given two small rooms with king beds. The hotel staff told me that my reservation was only a request and that I could not have the rooms I booked. It took 3 people, over 45 minutes and finally we were moved. We were late for your dinner reservations. We asked to speak to a manager multiple times and were told one would come up to our room, one never came. We never even received an apology. Awful experience. I will never stay here again. The bell man did not help us with our bags. We got a cart ourselves and as we were wheeling it upstairs he told us to bring it back down when we were done with it!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank Colleen B
Reviewed May 19, 2012

Being a fan of historic architecture, and having stayed here once before, I decided this would make a nice spot for our stay in D.C. The location just above Dupont Circle was great with lots of restaurants and shops within walking distance. We stayed in a Junior King Suite which is basically a nice sized guest room with a couple chairs in a sitting area as well as a small office with a mini-fridge. The lobby and restaurant have been re-decorated, and the style in my opinion was a little too modern. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2012

If you like hotels with character. This is a good place to stay. We were there for 3 nights and found it comfortable, although if I were to return to Washington I would likely look for a hotel closer to the monuments and museums. That said, this hotel is within 5-7 walk of the Dupont Circle subway and it was easy to get to everywhere we wanted to go. Our room was quiet (6th floor) and the design of the room gave it a separate sitting area. Very nice. We didn't eat in the Hotel restaurant, so I can't comment. There are lots of restaurants within an easy walk. Even though there are two computers for internet use, I think the hotel would do well to offer free wireless internet. The charge is $9 from 3:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. the following day. It is not even for a 24 hour period--if you start in the evening. We booked through the hotel's website which had the best prices.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2012

This was my home for a week whilst my husband was attending a conference. We were lucky to be given a mini suite with a fridge & microwave situated in a small area off the entrance hall.
The hotel is friendly enough and there were no noise issues from neighbouring rooms. My only whinge would be that I had no view and the main room,although being dual aspect was so overlooked you had to keep the thick voile curtains drawn at all times.
I have stayed many times in DC when my husband attends conferences and rather than sit in a restaurant alone for breakfast ,lunch and evening meals I opt to enjoy light snacks and meals in the privacy of our hotel accommodation.Small items like milk can be bought at the Safeway around the corner or over the road at the CVC . I like to take a trip from Dupont Circle to Pentagon city ,which is where Costco is situated. Here I buy a large punnet of strawberries, bread rolls, spit roasted chicken,bagged salad,fresh fruit and Granola. This lasts me all week - but if I have to share with my husband I may return with some made up chicken caeser salads. Some may think this is crazy ,but it is an alternative - oh and Pentagon City has a great shopping mall also.
The hill back to the hotel is a bit much in the heat if you are laden with shopping - but $7 covers a taxi back from Dupont Circle - its worth it !

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business