“We LOVE The Churchill!!!!”

Churchill Hotel Near Embassy Row
Ranked #44 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Excellent service, warm and inviting staff, very comfortable rooms.
The Churchill is where we stay when visiting the city. Working for a historic hotel myself, I know what to look for and what to expect. You want a clean room, in a nice hotel, in a great location, with employees who care about what they're doing. We have stayed many times with our friends at The Churchill and have never been disappointed.
The location, just above Dupont Circle and a quick walk from the metro stop, is perfect for both the business and leisure parts of our trips. There are several restaurants located very nearby, and many more within a short walk. Shopping is great too, whether near the hotel, in Georgetown (a short/cheap cab ride away), or in the funky Adams Morgan district (also great for Ethiopian food). And a quiet walk around the gorgeous Kalorama area is really something to see...those great houses!!
I cannot say enough great things about the staff. They are at once elegant and sophisticated yet not at all stuffy or intimidating, as I find some city hotels to be. You get none of the attitude and all of the great service and attention to detail.
The rooms are immaculately clean, and the beds are heaven after a day of walking around those city streets.
Those of you looking for the tourist-trap of a chain property should probably look elsewhere. Why stay in a room at the Marriott in THIS city that looks exactly like the one you stayed in at the Marriott in a different city??? I just can't understand that. If you want to feel like you're really doing the D.C. experience correctly, you'll be happy with The Churchill.
We'll certainly be coming back for another visit soon!

Room Tip: Please realize that this is a HISTORIC hotel in a HISTORIC building. The charm is in the details.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Benwt77
ChurchillStaff, Front Office Manager at Churchill Hotel Near Embassy Row, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2011

Dear Benwt77

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at the the Churchill Hotel. I will share your comments with my staff. I am extremely pleased that you had a pleasant stay. The staff at The Churchill Hotel try to provide a friendly, attentive service at every turn, and so it my pleasure to read that you had the opportunity to experience that during your stay. Our location is indeed ideal for those looking to experience all that Washington DC has to offer and I hope you were able to have some Ethiopian food in Adams Morgan as well. I really enjoy taking my friend to Adams Morgan while they visit Washington D.C. Thank you for choosing to visit us again when you return to Washington D.C. please contact the hotel and ask for the front office manager should you ever need any assistance.

Reviewed July 16, 2011

I was very skeptical when i booked this hotel feared it would be dated...ok.. so i arrived at 9pm very tired...the lobby was lovely...check in was quick...walked away from the lobby and then it all began...up the narrow ramp to the escalator which are old and very slow and narrow..got out walked the narrow hall and to my room..still very apprehensive...open the room and thankfully my it wasnt half bad...it is a very spacious room..quite big actually...then the inspection began...it was tidy both the room and bathroom but truth be told it is not my kind of hotel...it is old styled and had a funny smell i actually bought an air-freshener...it is an ok hotel but i wont stay there again because i like modern slick and contemporary and this hotel isnt..it's old fashioned but to be fair it was tidy and the rooms are big....

the real shock came when i pulled back the sheets...the duvet cover and pillow were filthy...filled with makeup oh i felt sick..it was too late for housekeeping..so i removed the duvet and the pillow and slept but i was real scared..i rang front desk to report this and i sent an email to the hotel and left a message for house keeping to change ALL bedding...i never got an apology or response from the hotel which is a disgrace but the bedding was changed...

i wouldn't return to this hotel because it's just not my style of hotel...

Location

Good location close to DU Point Metro nice restaurants and cafes nearby...i enjoyed the area but DC has many great areas..

I dont know make up ur mind but the hotel isnt for me...it was tidy and spacious but it felt and smelt old and like paint and wall paper were covering up some problems.

Management you should have at least apologized for the dirty bedding.

4 out of 10.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I wanted to add a quick review on the Churchill. Stayed here June 15-17, 2011. The hotel is in a good location and has a lot of easy to walk to restaurants. Front desk staff were courteous but not overly friendly or helpful. Front door and restaurant staff were much more pleasant. Room was a good size but there were two real issues: as a previous review mentioned, there are no real drapes in the room, only a very sheer curtain that caused me to get dressed in the bathroom throughout my whole stay. I felt that anyone could see in the room especially at night when the lights were on in the room. I don't understand the logic behind this but it was very uncomfortable. Also the bathroom was quite small, no counter space and set up very awkwardly. It was a challenge getting to the toilet paper. Also unfortunately my room (I think it was 314) was right next to the elevator shaft and it was quite distruptive. I didn't request another room after I realized there was going to be a noise problem so I can't really say how the staff normally handles this kind of problem. While I didn't have a bad stay, I wouldn't pay this much again to deal with these kinds of issues.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the elevator
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 11, 2011

We stayed at the Churchill for five nights and were highly satisfied with our stay. The temperature outside in late May was in the nineties almost every day, but we were comfortable in our room. Good location with lots of restaurants, and not too far from the Metro. The staff were pleasant and helpful. The room was clean, and the beds were comfortable. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank Jdean5
MMenase, Front Office Manager at Churchill Hotel Near Embassy Row, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2011

Dear jdean5

I am delighted to read your comments. Thank you so much for your feedback, it is truly important to have a comfortable bed when away from home. I will make sure to share your comments with my staff. On behalf of the Churchill staff we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed June 2, 2011

I booked this room through Priceline and now find out even though I put 2 adults and 1 child into the search tool I got a room with a king bed and have to pay 25.00 a day for an upgrade for a room with 2 beds. I am worried it won't be worth the hard earned money that we have saved for this trip.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank back2wall
MMenase, Front Office Manager at Churchill Hotel Near Embassy Row, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2011

Dear Back2wall,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Churchill Hotel while you were in Washington D.C. I hope you had a great visit. I am sorry to hear you bed preference was not specified to us prior to your arrival date. Usually when you reserve a room thru a third party, it’s good to contact the hotel directly and confirm your reservation, this way it gives us a chance to make corrections according to your needs. Please do not allow this situation to refrain you from making future reservations with us, we will make sure we extend you a comfortable room to meet your needs for all guests in your party.
Hope to see you when during your next travels.

Reviewed May 26, 2011

I stayed here this week for a business conference and this hotel is terrible. The rooms are small and the curtains do not close by design. Wow, I want everyone to see me naked!

The bathrooms are extremely small. Sink, toilet and shower are right up on each other. It's bad when the toilet seat hits the toilet roll becuase they're so close to each other. The sink is old school and you can burn yourself easily.

For over $300 a night, it's too expensive. My company really wasted their money.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank sookie77
MMenase, Front Office Manager at Churchill Hotel Near Embassy Row, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2011

Dear Sookie77

I hope this finds you well. I see that you were not quite comfortable with the room category you stayed in at the Churchill Hotel during your conference in Washington D.C. Sookie77, please understand that we have quite a few other room categories to choose from and it would have been our pleasure to upgrade you to a larger room. We take honor in the Churchill Hotel being a historic building, next time you are in the area, please allow me to show you the various room categories. I am positive that you will not be disappointed with the various sizes and set up we offer you.In addtion don't forget to check out our website, we have some great packages and prices on a daily base. Hope you will extend us a visit the next time you are in Washington D.C.

Reviewed May 26, 2011

Hi everyone, I stayed at the Churchill Hotel for three days on Easter weekend (April 22nd – 25th 2011) and here is my review. The Churchill hotel is located near the embassy sector of Washington, it’s a quite peaceful area and a few minutes away and you’re around the DuPont circle area. This older hotel has charm and is mostly all renovated. Upon arrival we were greeting and given two magnetic cards and within a few minutes we were in our room. Our room (214) was on the second floor, it felt like a little apartment, it had a lobby and a small corridor leading to the bedroom. The bedroom was large with a high ceiling and a super comfortable king size bed, the linens are quality and plentiful with great ventilation. There is a coffee maker, fridge, flat screen TV and more. This room had two rod iron barred windows facing the back of the hotel, the down side was although we were on the second floor but because it’s on the incline of the hill we were just below the rear parking lot level, actually our view was looking under the parked cars, what was actually worse was that the trash compactor was directly next to our window. The noise levels of these machines are unpleasant especially early morning. If the management is reading this something should be done for future guest. The bathroom is small, actually very small but acceptable, there is a hair dryer. We didn’t have the chance to eat at the hotel or use their valet service. If this is your first time in Washington parking is rare, we did manage to find parking on the nearby streets, and its two hours parking everywhere Monday to Saturday from 7:00 to 20:30. And now for the final question, would I return to the Churchill hotel? Yes but I would refuse this room or any other on the second floor!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple