“It's a last-ditch option, face it.”

Days Inn Washington Dc/gateway
Ranked #134 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed September 22, 2011

This hotel is not as bad as some of the other posters stated, but it's not pleasant either. I stayed here 21-22 September. First, the area is not unsafe; it's on a main street with constant traffic and I repeatedly saw Police driving by. There are fast-food restaurants and gas stations nearby. Now, the bad parts: It's cheap and run-down. The room was mostly clear, but the sheets and blanket were itchy, so I hope I didn't turn into a Bedbug Buffet. The room lighting is very dim and the hotel does gives off a "several bodies were found" aura. It's not near a Metro station (closest option is Stadium Armony; 15 min on B2 bus). It's not a hellhole, but it's not that good, either.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank charlieb123
GM_DaysInnGateway, General Manager at Days Inn Washington Dc/gateway, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Thank you for submitting a review and telling us about your experience here at the Days Inn Gateway. We would like you to know that since your last stay, we have switched management and are working hard in making guest's stays a pleasant and enjoyable one while they are in Washington DC. We would also like you to know that your review is very important to us. We have become an Eco-friendly hotel by switching over a majority of our lighting to compact florescents which not only brightens up the entire room, they also save energy and helps the planet. It is true that there is not a walk-able metro station nearby, however we do accommodate our guest by having a complimentary shuttle that takes them to and from the nearest metro station to our hotel, The Union Station.

I apologize that your experience at the Days Inn was anything less than satisfying. Please know that your comments and issues were addressed to our team and we are working diligently to improve it. Again, thank you for your comments and it is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

If you would like to discuss this any further please contact me directly at 202-832-5800

Michael S.

Reviewed September 2, 2011

We were coming from New York to stay for 2 nights while in the US from Australia to see the sites so was very excited. We jumped into a cab and when we told him the address he questioned why we were going all the way there and that it wasn't a safe area (I had booked this through my travel agent and was told it was central DC). When we arrived, I realised it didn't quite look like the photos as the hotel I had picked was all in door and and not outdoor 'motel' style. When we walked in to check in, I was greeted by a male who was not friendly, just there to do business and was arguing with a co-worker who was in the back room. There were a lot of scary guys sitting in the foyer watching us.

We were on the third floor and had to lug our luggage up two flights of stairs and when we went into the room we were confronted with a disgusting smell and just something you would expect in a horror movie. The bed was falling a part and the bathroom had a weird weird smell. Nothing was clean and the bed had bugs.

That night, I DID NOT SLEEP. All night there was screaming and people fighting. People driving into the car park and yelling. People hanging outside your door. The wind blowing the door. I feared for my life. I had already been harassed the one time I had left the hotel to get something to eat so I was pretty upset to the point where I began to cry. All night you could hear sirens and screaming.

I immediately booked another hotel and left without even asking for a refund. Staff were rude and I would never wish this place on my worst enemy.

Turns out my travel agent had booked me into the wrong hotel and not the one we had agreed on.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jess A
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We had booked 4 nights here through a private travel company. We arrived by taxi, and drove through some pretty scary looking slums to arrive at this dump. The lady at the front desk who checked us in was friendly and helpful but that's where the positives ended. Our room was on the ground level right next to the vending machines and washing room which was one big noise the whole night. There were shady looking guys sitting in their truck in the car park right by our room the whole night, constant yelling and talking from outside right through the night, the walls were paper thin. After about 2 hours sleep and a few bed bug bites (yup I'm not kidding!) We used the internet in the lobby to book a room for the next 3 nights in DC at the Courtyard Marriott and checked out straight away. We told the man at the desk we didn't feel safe there and he didn't even seem surprised. We asked him to call us a cab so he got on the phone and told us 15 minutes. We went outside and this rusty old car pulls up with no sign of any company name, no meter no ID badge. He told us he would take us to where we needed to go for $15, I told my partner that I did not want to get in the car with this guy so we told him not to worry, we'd get another taxi which lead him to swear at us and accusing us of wasting his time after coming all the way there. Luckily there was a taxi getting gas right next to the hotel so we got a ride with him. Was just not the start to my time in Washington that I was expecting, it was terrible service, grotty rooms and not safe at all.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Shaymis
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Booked the hotel at the last minute based on price. Got a Super Shuttle there from the airport and the driver advised us to be very careful and not leave the hotel as the neighbourhood was not safe and it was dark. Checked in and staff were very incompetent and not welcoming at all. Room was big but on top floor and the lift did not work. We had requested a non-smoking room but were given a smoking room and the bedding, furniture and curtains were stinking of smoke. We were harassed by a homeless man outside the hotel begging for money and he followed us to the nearby garage. Did not feel comfortable or at all safe staying in this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Littlelucytravels
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Trip started off poorly when we called for courtesy van to pick us up and Union Station only to be told we would have to wait about a couple of hours. Once at the hotel, we found it to be older, run-down and an 'outside door' style. No elevators , so you lug up two flights of stairs to the room. Overall room was clean but the smoke alarm was dis-mantled and laying on our bed. Left a camera in the van, called front desk to ask them to call van driver immediately (before any fares to or from Union Station) .they refused. We went to front desk two times to ask them to call him , they refused and pleaded not good English-so alas...camera was gone ... The van drivers in general were rude, careening thru the DC streets, not acknowledging passengers and just mad at their Days Inn staff.
No wifi in rooms-(it was advertised as wifi in rooms) and no complimentary brkfst. Cold food and steep prices---This inn needs to have a manager retrain his staff on how to work and be personable with guests. Paid same price as Holiday Inn Express across the street that had all the amenities we did not! Not stay here again! Noisy, and can't even open shades as people watching from parking lot who was in which room--scary for female travelers!

Room Tip: Don't bother-this motel is past it's prime
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank shoots4themoon
Reviewed January 7, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised. We were going to DC for a Redskin game. I was highly advised against stay in outside DC. We were looking for a mid price range hotel and did not want to spend a lot of money. We only planned to stay one night. The staff was friendly and helpful, rooms were nice, clean and large. Plus there is free parking. The free shuttle to Metro Train Station, made it easy access to the game. I would highly recommend this hotel and return next time visiting DC

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank seashapiro
Reviewed November 10, 2010

we chose this hotel due having point through rci for free nights, not worth it. we were going to rally in dc arrived friday night. needless to say we did not get to sleep till about 4:00 am
There was constant yelling and arguing coming not only from parking lot , but also 2nd floor walkways, and rooms. walls are thin you can here everything. many guest complained to front desk about noise nothing was done. a group of us took the shuttle to rally next day all had same problem lack of sleep and no satisfaction from front desk. some people left next day or that night could not sleep another night there. noise level better saturday night still one of guest had to go and confront another guest due to person blasting car stereo in parking lot at night , again no hotel staff present. free wifi did not work in rooms constantly losing it.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple