“Very Good But Not Quite Up To Its Ratings”
Review of Fiola

Fiola
Ranked #7 of 3,482 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Entrance on Indiana Avenue
Description: Fabio and Maria Trabocchi’s flagship restaurant, Fiola, opened in 2011 and since that time has evolved its cuisine and dining experience. Today, Fiola is a Michelin-starred fine dining Italian restaurant offering prix fixe tasting menus at dinner that drawing their inspiration from regional Italian classic dishes, local seasonal ingredients, and family traditions. Guests may also dine “a la carte” at the bar, in the lounge, or on the patio, or simply enjoy light snacks, a cocktail, or glass of wine. Fiola serves an a la carte menu at lunch. The restaurant features sophisticated private dining spaces for business and social events, and outdoor dining is available from spring through fall on the beautifully appointed patio and loggia.
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Very creatively prepared food but exceedingly rich and difficult to finish; needs more subtlety in saucing, seasoning and combining of basic ingredients for my taste. Indifferent but professional service, adequately compensated for by the chef’s charming wife. Very attractive dining room but much too loud; difficult to hear one another at an average sized table of four. Excellent and nicely varied wine list. Expensive, but you know that going in. Will likely give it another try but would order much differently, sharing an appetizer and a main course for two people to avoid the effects of the heaviness and richness of the dishes.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I had a special birthday party for nine people planned (and we are all well traveled folks). To be sure that all would go well, I personally visited the restaurant the day before the party to get the lay of the land. I ensured that we could get separate checks for each of the four couples and the one single person. They assured me at the front desk that this would be fine and noted it in the reservation.

I tried to advise the waiter on how we (one of the couples) would pay for certain extra stuff but that the other couples were on their own for the rest, but he blew me off and said he would settle that later. I tried again to get him to separate certain charges and was blown off.

So they totally forgot to separate our checks and instead tried to just equalize the total check among the group which is not at all the same as different checks, and when I complained they argued with me, saying they did not separate checks even though that was my understanding from them the day before AND in the end they never fixed the problem adequately nor did they apologize or offer any accommodation. It took about an hour for us to get the bill settled and it was never settled as agreed the day before, with each couple and the individual having their own check. They argued with me that they do not separate checks that way but I had that understanding with the front desk people and had in fact noted that we understood and accepted a 20% tip would come with these separate checks.

They really ruined my birthday party and did not seem at all concerned about their error. Someone (a woman) who seemed quite authoritative (like an owner) just argued with me that they do not do separate checks such that they tally the costs per couple as policy even though that is the understand I had with the front desk the day before.

Bottom line. They lack communication between the front desk and the service staff AND they were the antithesis of gracious. Rather than acknowledging their problem with communication, they chose to argue with me and not try to mitigate their error. It was unfortunate because prior to this fiasco, it had been my favorite restaurant for lunch. Now I can no longer recommend them and specifically suggest avoiding them altogether for any group celebration.

Donna Hanousek

2  Thank DonnafromDC
Reviewed February 3, 2013

After a brief departure from The DC area, I hope that Fabio is here to stay. The staff is very well trained, very professional yet not stuffy. The place is modern and has a very pleasant buzz! Every meal starts with their signature buttery and flaky rolls! (They could definitely be addicting!)
Every meal I have had at Fiola's has been delicious! He changes his menu seasonally and offers diners a different kind of Italian cooking. The secret, I believe, is that Fabio,almost always, is in the kitchen!
The only thing that one should watch out for is overeating!

Reviewed January 28, 2013

As a long time Washington who enjoys the DC restaurant scene, no restaurant comes close - the staff makes every guest feel important and indulged; the food is incredible; the atmosphere lively with easy conversation still possible. Japanese scotch on the menu - never heard of it - and with no discussion the waiter brought us a tasting. Couldn't decide between two pastas and as our debate continued, our waitress brought us both with her compliments. The only word of caution is don't over order. All of the food is as yummy as it sounds so over-ordering and over-eating is tempting! FIOLA IS A REAL KEEPER. Enjoy!

1  Thank ewlibby
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I went for drinks after work for happy hour. The food was delicious and the servers were very attentive. We didn't have reservations, but were welcomed none the less. I found the food to be fairly expensive but for happy hour, the prices were reasonable and the atmostphere was perfect for drinks with the girls. Over all, it was a positive experience and I can't wait to go back when the patio opens!