“Tour "made" our trip!”

Tiber Creek Tours of DC
Ranked #39 of 148 Tours in Washington DC
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Tiber Creek Private Tours of DC is the only locally owned and operated company in our nation's capital to offer customized private tours and tour packages by licensed tour professionals and members of the Guild of Professional Tour Guides. That means our standards are unmatched. Your family, friends or company deserve the best and we'll provide you with once-in-a-lifetime memories while you're in Washington, DC.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I booked this tour at the very last minute (Chris was amazing at accomodating us) and was still questioning my decision the morning we left as is was easily the most expensive tour I have ever gone on. I quickly decided that this might have been the best decision I made for the entire trip. We were picked up at our hotel by our driver Jerry. The vehicle was clean and Jerry was not only a great driver but extremely personable, making our drive itself an excellent experience. When we got to DC (we were picked up in Reston) we met our guide Eric and from the first moment my son (13 years old) and I met him we had a great time. He engaged my son in every aspect of the tour by not only educating him but asking him questions that really made him think and come to conclusions on his own. Eric quickly picked up on the fact that I am not a big fan of crowds and without saying a word made a point of getting us into spots that were less crowded and more conducive to the three of us having conversation. We went on the Welcome to DC tour and honestly if I had know how great it was going to be I would have booked an entire day so we could have seen more. This tour was a highlight of our entire week and worth every penny!!

2  Thank mccm825
Chris D, Owner at Tiber Creek Tours of DC, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Hi mccm825,
Thank you for such a warm review. It's wonderful to read that your tour with us was the highlight of your entire week and worth every penny! Those are great details, too: how Eric managed to engage your son and make him come to conclusions on his own and also how Eric sensed that you're not a fan of crowds and made sure to lead you to less crowded spots. It's hard sometimes to describe the exact qualities that make an excellent guide, but it's often the little things that really make a difference. And thanks, too, for the kind words about Jerry, he really appreciated what you wrote.

I hope you and your son get a chance to come back sometime in the future, I'm sure Eric will have more interesting facts and stories!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I highly recommend this tour. We took a 4 hour "welcome to DC' tour this past weekend and it was fantastic. It was for sure the highlight of our weekend trip. Eric, our guide picked us up at our hotel in a private van, and the driver took us to all the sites and monuments that we had chosen to see. it was an excellent way to see the city. our guide was extremely knowledgeable and was super kid friendly. Our 6 year old and 3 year old enjoyed spending the morning with Eric as much as my husband and I did. I love that you can pick and choose everything you want to see and Eric was totally open to adding in additional sites during the tour. Definitely ask for Eric if you take this tour!!!

Chris D, Owner at Tiber Creek Tours of DC, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Hi cogan25,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I'm very happy that you had an excellent tour with Eric - "super kid friendly" is a great way to describe how he is with children of all ages, and I'm glad you and your husband enjoyed spending time with him, too!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I booked with Tiber Creek after reading all the wonderful reviews. I was taking my 93 yr old Mom to DC to see the Cherry Blossoms (weather didn't cooperate, however) and thought a private tour would be the best to see some hard to get to sites. I spoke with Chris at Tiber Creek initially to give him an idea of the makeup of our party and some idea of what we'd like to see. Larry called close to our departure to confirm. Our guide Clift picked us up at our hotel and was just wonderful. We briefly went over some of the places we wanted to see (WWII memorial for my Mom & Vietnam for my husband, Old Soldier's Home for me). Clift grew up in DC and knows all kinds of information about the district history old, new & in between. He took us to the National Cathedral which is beautiful plus all the other sites. Our driver was excellent and the vehicle was clean and comfortable. The only issue my husband had was there was no water to be had and it was a four-hour tour and we hadn't brought any thinking the tour company would provide like we are used to. I highly recommend Tiber Creek tours and Clift. . .he was great. It is worth every penny.

1  Thank babyjanet51
Chris D, Owner at Tiber Creek Tours of DC, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Hi,
Thank you for writing a review and it's great to hear that you had a wonderful time with Clift. He's one of our best guides and growing up in D.C. really has given him encyclopedic knowledge of the area. Clift enjoyed touring with you and your family very much and especially showing your mother the Cathedral and other sites. He was also pleased that you introduced him to Smucker Farms of Lancaster County afterwards as a new place to show other guests in the future.

I’m extremely sorry about the lack of water: you're right, tour companies should provide water and we do have bottled water on all our tours, especially in the spring and summer when it gets very hot. I spoke with our driver and it wasn’t included on your tour because he thought it wasn’t necessary on a cold day. But I’m like your husband - in fact, I'd want to have water on even on the coldest days - and we’ve taken steps to make sure that water is on-hand year round.

It was nice meeting you after the tour and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in D.C.!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

What a great night! - a personal driver in a big, comfy Towncar, a private tour guide (Eric is like a walking encyclopedia of inside Washington info) this was a remarkable tour of the memorials, monuments, embassies, city highlights, etc.. PLUS we added a request ... "to see some churches" ... to our tour at the last minute. They didn't even blink. BTW - The National Cathedral is beautiful at night! We didn't waste a minute backtracking or figuring out the next thing - that's all done for you and the sights are dazzling. These guys go over and above - call them and get on the calendar for your next visit to the city.

2  Thank 847DebbieB
Chris D, Owner at Tiber Creek Tours of DC, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Hi,
Thanks very much for such a nice review. We were happy to add a list of churches to see on your nighttime tour and I agree, the Washington National Cathedral is beautiful at night. It was great meeting you, too!

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Start saving your money now for this tour....yes, it is expensive since it is private but it was the ABSOLUTE HIGHLIGHT of our trip. We are a family of 5, with kids age 18, 13, 8, and our guide appealed to every level in our group. We opted for the four hour ($695) tour so we could go over to the Pentagon and see that memorial and, boy, are we glad we did. We booked at the last minute (within a week) and Chris contacted us with information immediately. After reading the reviews here, I could tell ALL the guides are great but LARRY stood out the most and I was on bended knee praying that we would get him.....we did! He called me and we started planning our itinerary. I trusted him with what he knew we needed to see. He picked us up in a suburban at 6:30 and it was nonstop fascinating information for the next four hours. I was so afraid my kids would get tired and fall asleep on this expensive tour but I had nothing to worry about. Larry filled our heads with so much interesting information that we could have listened another four hours. (By the way, you feel very special being in a private tour with a small group when you pass a large group.) Again, you are thinking...wow! That's so expensive and you are right but you get what you pay for in this situation and it is cream of the crop! This tour covers so much that we had extra time to do extra things because Larry took us to all the major sites.....he made history come alive for my kids. Start saving now cause it is worth it!

3  Thank LLPProsper_Tx

Hi,
Thank you very much for writing such a detailed review of your tour. Just seeing the tile of the review and reading that it was the "absolute highlight" of your trip really made our week! It was great having you and your family on tour with us and we hope to see you again sometime in the future.