“Simply the Best!!”

Tiber Creek Private Tours of DC
Ranked #35 of 145 Tours in Washington DC
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Tiber Creek Private Tours of DC is the only locally owned and operated company in our nation's capital to offer customized private tours and tour packages by licensed tour professionals and members of the Guild of Professional Tour Guides. That means our standards are unmatched. Your family, friends or company deserve the best and we'll provide you with once-in-a-lifetime memories while you're in Washington, DC.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Simply the Best!!”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I contacted Larry of Tiber Creek Tours in July and asked for his help in planning a trip in September for my parent's 50th wedding anniversary. What started out as a small, two-person tour evolved to eight people (including myself). Throughout the ever-changing planning, Larry and Chris where very accommodating and were in constant communication to ensure that this tour was perfect. I could not have asked for a better, more memorable trip. The driver was great! The vehicle was over-the-top! The tour guide (Larry) was simply the best! He really loves D.C. and its history. His endless knowledge of history and little-known trivial facts made the trip very interesting and fun!

Thank you Larry and Chris for a wonderful trip and an ever-lasting memory my parents and the family and friends who joined them.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank LZinMD

Norwalk, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Very Knowledgeable Tour Guide!!”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I recently took a business trip to Washington DC and went on a Tiber Creek private tour (night time) with 5 other business colleagues.

Larry, the president/owner of Tiber Creek, was incredibly helpful and responsive when setting up our customized private tour.

On the tour itself, Larry was very knowledgeable and provided for a great tour experience. He took us to all of the major sites and shared tons of interesting background information. We could tell that he really loved his city and had a passion for sharing unique/ fun facts.

I would highly recommend Tiber Creek for your Washington DC tour needs. You won't be disappointed!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Lauren K
Orange, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Amazing! ...Customized! ...Knowledgeable!”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My dad is a WWII vet and on his bucket list was to see the World War II memorial. So my 86 yr old dad, my 19 yr old son and I planned this tour with Chris and Eric at Tiber Tours. They were so flexible and helpful in tailoring our 4 hour tour. We went back and forth with emails on putting together our customized itinerary so that we would see everything we wanted to and not be rushed. And they far surpassed our expectations. Eric our tour guide was so awesome, he made Washington DC come to life with historic facts, interesting stories and colorful anecdotes. My teenage son even thought it was a good tour and was never bored. And of course, for my dad it was a trip of a lifetime and he thought Eric was so knowledgeable and interesting. And that he did an amazing job. And our driver was also great, getting us as legally close to sites so my dad wouldn’t have to walk too far. We did rent a wheelchair to make it easier at the memorials that required a lot of walking. We were picked up at our hotel in a clean and comfortable SUV and the cold water bottles helped with the heat and humidity. Not cheap, but worth every penny!!

Visited August 2012
3 Thank Sandy C
vancouver, wa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Great tour”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We booked this tour at the last minute once I realized my three boys (ages 6, 9, 12) would be miserable touring in the 100 degree weather. Not to mention that we did a bus tour in NYC (another review later) and the guide was horrible, making fun of a couple that couldn't speak English and talking about all of the gruesome events that take place in NYC. Needless to say, I didn't want to risk exposing my kids to another racist rant or give them details of recent kidnappings so I decided to book this tour even though it ran about $650.

I called a few days before our tour and Chris quickly put something together for us. I told him we had three kids and he said he would get a guide with experience working with children.

Clift, our guide, was perfect for our kids. He made it so exciting for them and showed them all of the little things that only kids would love (i.e. the echo chamber in the National Building Museum, the tunnels of the Library of Congress). He made it so fascinating, I don't think any of the three boys realized that they were learning something.

He asked the kids tons of questions, learning what they liked, then later tying it in to something we were looking at. While we had an itinerary planned, Clift recognized that a couple different stops might be more exciting for them and he was right. The kids loved every place we went and I would have never had thought to even ask to visit a few of the sites.

By the way, our driver was great, he had water for us and made sure we never waited to be picked up. Driving by the hoards of people packed on to buses and waiting in lines I knew that this was the best money I've ever spent. There were 6 of us so the cost per person was actually quite reasonable.

I will never travel any other way in DC. Thank you!

Visited July 2012
3 Thank jbodog
Friendswood
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Meh...Read the reviews and make up your own mind”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

So, when looking at dropping $600 on a 3 hour tour, one is going to be held to a pretty high standard. You can call it nitpicking if you like, but here goes. First thing you need to know is that Tiber Creek doesn't, from what I can tell, own the limos that they use. Which is fine, except about two hours into the tour, Daniel, our guide, was informed by the driver, that the driver had another appointment that was butting up with ours. O.K., we weren't too rushed, but that was a little irritating. Secondly, know going in that you are driving in a limo, but you are going to do a fair amount of walking to get to the monuments. This could have been helped by the driver not getting us as close as possible to the monuments. An experienced driver, it seems to me, would be able to snake a line of buses, if not circumvent unexpected security snafus. I thought I was paying to NOT be behind the mass of humanity that is Washington DC in the summer. When we ask to have a bathroom break, lets don't work in an 'interesting' stop on the way and then stop behind eight buses for the public toilet. Pull up front, drop us off and make the block if you have to. Thirdly, I don't expect champagne...it's not the prom. But, I expect a bottle of water. Fourthly, the communication was a little spotty. This is one of the problems that I have with paying money up front. It took several days for an email response, after I sent a couple of emails and left Larry a couple of voice mails. When I did get someone, (not Larry) there were the generally good questions about the ages of the people that would be on the tour. My mother (69), my wife, and kids (a15 year old and an 11 year old) and what part of the country we lived. I think this is supposed to tailor the tour. Good idea. But when we got down to try and specify what we wanted to see, I got the response that there isn't a lot of flexibility with the night tours. Also, realize going in that Arlington Cemetery closes at 7pm, so you won't be able to see it, but you should be able to see the Iwo Jima (Marine Corps Memorial). Lots of good stories from Daniel, but overall, just an okay use of time and money. The value/money/time components would steer me in a different direction, if I had a do-over. We paid extra for a docent guided tour of the National Air and Space Museum and a History on Foot walking tour offered through Ford's Theater, both of which I would give 5 stars and cost us about $100 per tour.

Visited June 2012