“Clueless about brunch”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Ripple

Ripple
Reserve with OpenTable
Ripple is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #223 of 3,196 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: between Macomb St and Ordway St.
Transit: Stops Take the red line to the Cleveland Park and exit on the east side walk toward Dupont Circle about 2 blocks. We're right across from the Uptown Theatre
Description: In a comfortable setting, just across the street from the historic Uptown Theater in Cleveland Park, Ripple offers a complete dining experience, with a focus on sustainability, organic and locally-acquired produce, and a good time. We are proud to support local farmers and co-ops in our mission to bring the best products to the table. In addition, we have an extensive wine, beer and cocktail menu, to complete any meal. Above all, we believe in hospitality and hope that everyone who dines with us will feel comfortable and enjoy their time with us. We truly are a place to eat, drink, and gather.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Clueless about brunch”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

In DC for the weekend, we looked forward to Sunday brunch at the highly-touted Ripple. Apparently brunch is a new undertaking at the restaurant. Coffee was ordered and came to the table lukewarm. No cream; they only have whole milk. I ordered two eggs and whole wheat toast. No bread available. I could have crackers or the homemade English muffin for a $2 extra charge. The muffin was small and rubbery. A companion ordered a breakfast burger done medium and was served one way overdone. There was no salt or pepper at the table. The waiter brought us a small disk of loose salt with one of those tiny spoons. Very cute. But challenging for many folks, especially seniors or children, to use without oversalting your eggs. The waitstaff was attentive but unfamiliar with the menu. Perhaps new to the brunch routine.

Somehow our party of four wound up with a bill for $90 (including tip) for a way disappointing experience. Someone in charge here needs to get a clue about how to put together a decent brunch experience.

Bethesda, Maryland
“A Mixed Bag”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We had dinner at Ripple last night and while the food and service was generally very good, there were several real misses.
The good parts - steak with chimichuri, carrot cavateli, and the beet salad.
Misses - the fried oysters with squid ink tempura batter. These little black things look extremely unappetizing and were the size of a fingernail. Five of these for 14 dollars was ridiculous. I am not even sure there was an oyster in the batter.
The cornbread is great but dry and chewy French bread is passed out like it is an endangered species.
The portions are quite small and I know the chef is trying new things everyday but something's should be tested before being placed on the menu.
The desserts are fine but way too busy.
Finally, the wine list had some excellent choices but prices were quite steep.
I would be hard pressed to return when there are so many dining choices within this block of Connecticut Avenue.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Tiny portions but definitely delicious”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Walked past Ripple so many times but never went there thinking it's a wine bar and we are not really wine drinkers. However it seems reviews are quite positive about the food as well. Made a last minute reservation on Opentable on a weekday night and at 7:15 pm the bar area was busier than the dining rooms (there's a larger inside room behind the bar and two small sections with a couple of tables each by the plate glass fronts). Nice atmosphere but could get quite noisy at least in front where the bar is. We were seated right next to the entrance, looking out on Conn Ave. The cuisine is creative contemporary American with complicated menu descriptions. However as the menu changes frequently the list is short enough not to be overwhelming. Everything looked great with interesting combination of ingredients. Portions are small but everything was so artfully arranged and presented – whatever there is demands to be savored and not wolfed down (gotta go slow to making it last!). We had the beet salad with "smoked egg", and when it arrived the server pointed out where the egg is because it wasn't immediately apparent, as it was only egg yolk in the form of a thinly spread sauce which acts as a base for the beets on top (bet that's a question he's been asked before). But it was delicious, like extremely fancy and rich mayo. Everything else was good too, from the bibb salad, spinach tortellini, the grilled scallops, to the desserts – the gluten free mint chocolate panna cotta, and the basil pound cake (beautiful green color but could be more moist). And don't forget the house cornbread - so tasty almost like dessert. Service was fairly good – you might have to ask for something twice but the server always checked in on us after each course. Bill came to about $90 with one drink, 3 appetizers, 1 entree and 2 desserts before tip (they also offer a pre-fixe 3-course menu for $35/pp). Certainly not cheap, especially judging from a quantity standpoint. However absolutely worth the experience as the food is superbly enjoyable. Probably not a place to go when you are very hungry but definitely worth the splurge once in a while.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Every other restaurant in DC should commit suicide.”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I eat out a lot in DC. Way too much. I can't believe I've never reviewed Ripple in the year and a half I've been going. I thought I was going to be writing a follow-up review to an older glowing review but this is the first. My last meal there was on a Friday evening. We were looking for something new to try but after reading online and thinking about options we just decided to go to Ripple. It was great as always. They change the menu all the time so I won't focus on that visit but give a list below of highlights from my many visits.

I've never had a bad meal at Ripple. I saw there were a few bad reviews and one was a brunch complainer - immediate dismissal; brunch is not the measure of a restaurant. Other's complain about price at Ripple; that is patently absurd. Ripple is not cheap. But nothing is cheap in DC! My gods, last night I had a dinner at a disgusting mid-range italian place in that cost $100 for three with no drinks.

So, yes, Ripple will cost you close to the normal price for a meal out in DC. If you want to save money, try the great cheap Guatemalan and Salvadoran places in Mt. Pleasant or some Ethiopian near U street. Otherwise it's disgusting pizza and chains or the occasional cheesesteak from a corner grocery. If you want something better, you're going to pay for it. And as soon as you hit the $25-$35 per person price range, Ripple is the BEST you can do in this city.

Here are some highlights of Ripple's awesomeness:
-They make their own pickled vegetables (usually very good, occasionally bland but I'm guessing that's a turnover problem and they aren't sitting in the pickling liquid long enough because they are too popular.) Lots of other places in DC and elsewhere do this but a decent pickled vegetable is rare.
-I had a delicious goat loin once with an incredible chimichurri and a nice goat sausage.
-One of the best meals I've had there involved a smoked bluefish filet with three sauces. Not many restaurants have the balls to cook bluefish because it has to be fresh and cooked with some smoke or hot coals. Ripple not only has the balls but the skill to pull it off and impress someone who grew up catching bluefish on the Miles River and throwing it on the grill within minutes.
-They make their own Charcuterie.
-They have a nice selection of sizes of plates.
-Their Salads are almost always fresh and delicious.
-They have a cheap grilled cheese sandwich happy hour and late night.
-They have an awesome wine selection both by the glass and wider by the bottle. Plus the staff all know it fairly to very well.
-Great Beers.
-Cocktails are fantastic. They have a solid set of liquors and they make a number of creative mixes but are also much better at modifying the drinks to meet special requests. This is important for me because we don't like sugar and everyone puts some sort of simple syrup in their fancy cocktails. Ripple's bartenders cater to picky people like us. I don't mind paying 10-13 bucks for a cocktail when the bartender makes exactly what I want without rolling eyes or sighing.

I think I've said enough. Nobody reads positive reviews anyway except maybe the proprietor so: Thanks Ripple!

• Visited July 2013
Minneapolis, MN
“Brunch was good, not great. Will still give Ripple another try for dinner.”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

The service was wonderful and the atmosphere was quite amiable. The food was well-prepared and presented, but not outstanding in any way. Everyone left with comments that we "could have made that at home, nothing special, but OK." So nothing strongly negative, but not left with feelings to strongly recommend for brunch. We've had several people recommend this place for dinner and we will give that a try, but I would find some place else for brunch in the future.

• Visited July 2013