“Absolutely awsome! ”
Review of Capital View

Capital View
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

Felt almost like home! We loved that place *-*
Clean bathrooms, nice bedromms, really friendly and helpful staff!
The terrace on the rooftop is a great place to chill out!

Es ist wirllich schön dort! Wer nach D.C kommt, sollte dort übernachten! Wir zwei Mädels haben uns dort absolut wohl gefühlt, das Wohnzimmer hat fast ein bisschen ein "zu Hause" Gefühl! :)

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Capital View

Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night here and found it to be quite pleasant. The no shoes rule is a little strange, but no problem! The beds were comfy, the girl in the office was nice and the amenities fine. The location is great and we found the place to be great value for money. If you don't mind basic, then this place is a good stay in Washington DC

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2014

I just stayed here for one night and found the place by its nice location and good price. I was greeted politely, though quite chaotically. I think the guy was in training. I got the no shoes rule, but I must have missed a lot of the other ones, maybe because I mentioned I had to block my credit card the day before so they could not fine me :). Anyway, I was going to suggest you get your food at Walmart around the corner and eat it in the sunset on the rooftop patio, but reading the other reviews I'm not sure if that's allowed.

I found the staff to be helpful and friendly, though somewhat... detached?

Shoes off rule is probably a good thing, not only for the cleanliness, but even more so because of the creaking wooden floors in the building. I also experienced people shouting and fighting at night.

The shower on the second floor turned cold for no reason the first time I used it. The next morning it worked just fine. The noise of the showers carried to the room though, they should really look at that.

Beds were made and towels provided.

They have a beamer in the lounge which this one guy used to just watch Top Gear all day. I think that's as far as a community event as you're gonna get, but if you come here just for the bed, I think you'll do just fine.

Room Tip: Only stay in room #7 if you don't wake up easily. It's really noisy when anyone uses the sho...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 2, 2014

I loved staying at the Capital View. The staff are excellent, helpful yet not too friendly. The services offered are exactly what are advertised, and more. The beds are excellent. I did not find the inn too noisy, although some guests were a bit unconscious of their noise level. The building is old but clean and in good repair. The price-to-value relationship is excellent.

Room Tip: I liked staying in the women-only room, personally. The other women in the room were quiet and respe...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Dear traveller;

If you are the kind of person who can put up with anything, then stay here. The location is excellent. However, if you enjoy amenities like hot water, water pressure, or pleasant and helpful staff, then I suggest you find somewhere - anywhere - else. The rooms are not awful, though I stayed in room 0 and there is a very strong smell of damp. In addition, during the night, there are the scratching sounds of claws in the walls and over the ceiling. It's probably squirrels. Probably.

On the first night I brought to the attention of Jordan the fact that our room had a dead lightbulb. When we left 6 days later, that lightbulb was still dead - but they'd found time to ban one of my friends from the hostel for having the temerity to complain about the way her towel and jogging bottoms had been stolen. Their priorities lie in making sure everyone follows the rules, rather than creating a friendly environment for young travellers.

To be perfectly honest, when your host's introductory speech starts with "I'm an unpaid intern, so if you don't label your food I'll eat it" you're not exactly inspired. Admitting to being a thief does nothing to instil confidence in the staff.

Further, the fact that the staff are actually housed in the hostel next to the communal space leads to uncomfortable encounters when the staff, who want to sleep (and who should have that right) have to complain to guests about the noise they're making. Don't house your interns in the building or, if you must, do it away from the communal areas. And pay them.

In conclusion? A good location utterly ruined by the staff. New management, a lick of paint, and some humane traps would elevate this to a 4-star hostel but for now - avoid like the plague.

Room Tip: Room 0 - smells of damp
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank jonathandrewkerr
Reviewed January 3, 2014

As other people have noted, there were quite a few rules such as "no shoes" - you have to leave them at the door and food to be confined to the kitchen area. But as a result, the hostel is quiet and very clean and respectful which was perfect for me who only wanted to stay to sleep prior to an early Amtrak the next day.

The kitchen was large, well equipped and I felt encouraged to prepare my own food. The bathroom was clean and there were enough showers near the room that I didn't have to wait.

The location was great for the Amtrak station as it was only 10-15 mins walk.

I just think the hostel should probably be more transparent about the fact that they are a quiet hostel with rules on their website/marketing as this could be a selling point for the right kind of traveler. But as I was not aware of the rules beforehand it can come as a bit of a shock.

For example they charge you $10 for late arrival after 10pm and require information 24 hours in advance to set this up. But this was not made clear at the time of booking. They sent me an email on the day to say that late arrival requires personal and card information but I didn't receive this until I'd already arrived. They could do with making this clearer so that guests know to arrive early.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Easily the worst hostel I've ever stayed in. The nightmare began from the moment my girlfriend and I arrived. They charged us a $10 late fee for checking in 40 minutes past regular check-in hours. Once we were situated, they informed us of the house rules which included no shoes and no eating in the residence area. Fine. Nice kitchen and very clean property. Common fridges for food storage. Fine. Went out for drinks and bought some snacks. Woke up, went out for the day and came back to find that our UNOPENED, non-perishable snacks had been removed from my girlfriend's purse while we were out and were placed in the kitchen in an area called the WALL OF SHAME. Absolutely unacceptable to remove something from a person's bag without their knowledge. That's both theft and an invasion of privacy. Totally agree with the review that called this a Stasi hostel. Showers are ice cold, no possible way to make them warm even using the instructions on the bathroom door. Terrible. Also, we booked a private room with double bed and were shocked to find a room with bunk beds. The window was broken and allowed mosquitoes in and cannot be opened when it gets too hot. Lastly, as we were in our room changing at around 6pm, a staff member knocked and opened the door simultaneously while we were naked. WORST HOSTEL!! DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple