“Good location- quick walk to all the sights”
Review of Capital View

Capital View
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights (wanted to stay longer but was booked up) and on the whole was a good experience. The rooms are clean (not allowed to wear shoes so its extra clean), bathrooms nice, but its major draw card is its location- only 10minutes walk to all the major touristy things. We just walked everywhere saving money, as we never had to catch buses or the metro.

Things I didn't like:
-The employees who "greet" you at the door and show you through the hostel... We only dealt with 2 of them, and I didn't like the experience at all. The guy and girl were not approachable and I didn't like them being around. On many occasions we heard them being blatantly rude to guests who asked questions or had to double check on some of the rules (of which they were quite a few).
-The kitchen is nice but is missing too many things- they need some more utensils, plate, cups. Also they need to invest in tea towels. A small thing but really annoying not have when cooking.
-Beds- ours had broken springs, leading to uncomfortable nights sleep.
-No real "hostel vibe"- no breakfasts, dinners, activities. Everyone just goes about their own business.

So all in all a clean hostel in a good location- just don't expect great service or comfy beds.

Room Tip: Showers on the top level have terrible water pressure so try to shower on the mid level. Take of yo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Capital View

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We are always staying in this hostel. Once being treated exceptionally well, we are life-long guests of this place(:
Great things about the hostel:
+ The nicest staff ever! Very friendly, helpful, understanding.. We were running late for checking in...as our bus from NY was in the traffic jam... and we called up the hostel, they waited for us and were very patient and understanding of our situation and didn't even charge us for the late check-in ((((: they always can help in picking places to eat, sights to see, transport to take.. Very nice people to deal with.
+ The place accommodates a lot of people, but it's always very cozy and peaceful
+ No-shoes policy. You feel like home! It also makes the place very clean.
+ Computer corner, free wifi. You can use one of the computers downstairs in case you don't have one/you lost one/you are out of charge or what not...you are welcome to use theirs.(:
+ Clean kitchen to store your food, to cook, to dine.
+ Nice lounge to meet other people, to rest, to watch a TV (if you want it at all)
+ BEST location in DC! In walking distance from the Union Station, close to China Town - where you can find any place of your taste to eat breakfast/lunch/dinner -, close to main attractions, museums and of course Capitol! So it's kinda "CapitOl View Hostel"
+ Amazing cozy roof terrace! Very romantic...with a view on Capitol - nice for summer nights...
+ The bathrooms are clean if YOU clean them after yourself. So please expect to leave the bathroom in a condition you would like to see when you step in.. Don't be lazy (: the staff is cleaning them of course too. But not after each guest, ok?...(;
+ Lockers. Well, it's hard to call it "lockers" but there's a space on the second floor where you can leave your belongings - it's very helpful! Especially when you check out in the morning and have the whole day to spend outside before leaving. We always have a night bus to home back home, so it's nice to have a place to leave our bags at (:

Thank you Capital View for making our each stay the best!

Room Tip: Best match price/quality!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Anastasia G
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I think that the location is good because is close to the places you want to visit on a vacation trip. The place is pretty clean. There are bathrooms for a single person, not costumes.

Dislike
I wish there was the proposal of group activities as in other hostels.

Room Tip: Location in Washington is very importante, because is a city to walk.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Capital view hostel is super cheap and about 5minutes walk from Chinatown and 15-20mns from the main touristy things you need to see.The room was clean and the bunk-bed was surprisingly comfortable.the upstairs bathrooms looked dodgy but you can't complain for the price.I would advise you bring a lock for the locker provided if you want to store important stuff.Overrall I was quite please with my stay

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I wish we spent more money and went to a hotel. This hostel wasn't unbearable but it was very average. We had a private room. The bunks were horrible and the room was average. The showers were very temperamental (hard to get hot water). There were lots of rules e.g. no shoes, no food and drinks in the room etc (this might be standard? but we never experienced this at the other hostels we stayed in). Also, there is no late check-in. Their were positives e.g. location was good, there was free wifi and the facilities e.g. kitchen etc was well equip. I can see how this is a good youth hostel but as a couple of travelling I wish we spent more and got a hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Simone S
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The room I stayed in was unbearably hot. The thermostat is not accessible and no one is there to help you at night. The person staying in my room arrived at 11:30 pm, and was sitting down, standing up, leaving the room, beeping the code to get back in the room, slamming doors, receiving loud text messages, and constantly opening zippered bag literally all night until I left at 8 am. The next day I told the staff and they said 'well, no one else reported it.' and they refused me all refunds. I booked a dirt cheap Best Western room the next night and it felt like paradise.

Room Tip: Go to a Best Western, it will feel like paradise compared to this.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank James H
Reviewed March 8, 2013

It can't get any better than this for the price. The hostel is the cleanest I've ever been to. The floor of the bathroom had heated tiles. The whole hostel has a very contemporary feel to it. It had stainless steel appliances and very comfortable beds with warm comforters. The location was amazing (very close to Chinatown and Union Station). The only policy that might seem strange is that one has to take off one's shoes when comes into the hostel. But this is done to help the housekeeper maintain the carpet clean. I wish the hostel had more activities. P.S. Reservations online ask for a credit card, but entering your card info doesn't mean you are paying for the room. The only way to pay is at the hostel. I thought I had paid for it and then had to run my card again at the hostel. This is a very modern hostel, but is definitely not a party hostel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends