“cleanest hostel in DC”
Review of Capital View

Capital View
Reviewed March 8, 2013

It can't get any better than this for the price. The hostel is the cleanest I've ever been to. The floor of the bathroom had heated tiles. The whole hostel has a very contemporary feel to it. It had stainless steel appliances and very comfortable beds with warm comforters. The location was amazing (very close to Chinatown and Union Station). The only policy that might seem strange is that one has to take off one's shoes when comes into the hostel. But this is done to help the housekeeper maintain the carpet clean. I wish the hostel had more activities. P.S. Reservations online ask for a credit card, but entering your card info doesn't mean you are paying for the room. The only way to pay is at the hostel. I thought I had paid for it and then had to run my card again at the hostel. This is a very modern hostel, but is definitely not a party hostel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jayhawk9806

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Pros:
1. Great value
2. Parking (across the street is free if u r lucky; or there are big pay parking lot behind)
3. Great location - close to Chinatown and many eateries. Museums and walking distance to The National Mall.
4. No shoes policy - i really liked this one! Bathrooms were very clean too.

Cons:
I found a few hair on my bedsheet. If this gets corrected it was a perfect experience.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Demarcho
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I really like this hostel. People are nice and staffs are very helpful and polite, nice kitchen and entertainment area. There are computers available 24 hrs/day and free internet access. It's close to Gallery Place metro station, Chinatown and a few minutes walk from the national mall. I'd like to stay here again sometimes in the future. Of course, i'd like to recommend this nice hostel to my friends.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank andreaning
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Booking.com got me a bed in a mixed-gender 4-bed room for $36 tax included. There was only one other occupant on the Friday night I stayed.
This is one block off Massachusetts Ave. It's walkable to plenty of attractions. A bus stop for the Circulator route is not far away.
I arrived after sundown. The hostel really is the only building on its side of the street. Signage is limited to the classy looking plaque at the entrance. Parking is street only and limited to four hours max. The $15 lot is at their other location. I was fortunate to arrive after parking enforcement hours. I would have to start paying at 7:30am. The muni-meter is in front of the hostel, so that wasn't too inconvenient.
House rule: no shoes on inside. The owners made Ikea one happy store, for most everything in the hostel came from there - the shoe drawers at both entrance doors included.
The entrance door for new guests has a camera staring down at you and the office window right there as a second way to eye up who is at the door. Guests are given an access code to get in the side door. That's how you get in your room, too. All rooms have modern, code-based entry systems.
The common area has a couple of couches and three computers. The musical ambience will be provided by whoever is on duty and whatever they are playing in the office. Bathrooms are on each floor. I counted one downstairs and two upstairs. They all seemed clean and in good repair.
The guest room had two sets of bunk beds. There are lockers in the room. Bring your own padlock. A wifi booster was outside my room. I didn't try using the hostel's wireless. The linens and towel were clean. Aside from the hair on the pillowcase (bottom side), I saw nothing alarming. As stated before, Ikea made out like a bandit. I have no complaints about the quality of the sleeping quarters.
I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: The neighborhood is quiet. No room is going to be any noisier. If you are near a bathroom and the ba...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank ChumpireFanzine
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I was in the process of moving overseas and spent one night in this little place. It looks a bit spooky on the outside, but the rooms are clean with comfortable beds and the bathrooms were fine. I didn't use the kitchen as there are some great restaurants around, and the wi fi worked the entire time.

It was a bit expensive for a hostel, but the staff was wonderful--especially because I had huge boxes traveling with me and they allowed me to keep them in the lobby, saving me from taking them up 3 flights of stairs.

I didn't know about the rooftop lounge, but I was only there for an overnight stay and left very early in the morning. For a quick visit to DC or a layover, this hostel is more than adequate.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Stephannie S
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I have stayed at better hostels in DC for less. The rooms are a bit dumpy for what you pay - pretty beat up, broken glass, etc. The bathrooms are decent, and the internet connection is good though. The worst part is the woman who checked me in ripped me off. I had already paid a deposit, and a booking fee, but she made me pay the total price on top of that. After a long flight it was not worth hasseling with.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Little expensive for what we got, but not a bad hostel. Kitchen was well equipped, there was a nice communal area - and people always seemed to be around there to chat. Rooms were decent (three of us stayed in a four bed dorm and the roomie we had with us was friendly). Bathrooms were small for the amount of people using them, but reasonable if you can handle mixed showers/toilets. Location was a little out of the way, 15 minute walk to the nearest subway. Also they don't have keys to the room, they have codes. We found out that they don't change these codes very often, so we had a friend staying in the room we stayed in before us and the code was the same! So not sure how tight they are on security.
The rooftop is what would make me visit this hostel again - you could take your dinner up to the rooftop and sit looking out over DC in the evening. Perhaps would look elsewhere for a better price though next time. Somewhere that lets you keep your shoes on!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends