“I cannot complain.”
Review of Capital View

Capital View
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Booking.com got me a bed in a mixed-gender 4-bed room for $36 tax included. There was only one other occupant on the Friday night I stayed.
This is one block off Massachusetts Ave. It's walkable to plenty of attractions. A bus stop for the Circulator route is not far away.
I arrived after sundown. The hostel really is the only building on its side of the street. Signage is limited to the classy looking plaque at the entrance. Parking is street only and limited to four hours max. The $15 lot is at their other location. I was fortunate to arrive after parking enforcement hours. I would have to start paying at 7:30am. The muni-meter is in front of the hostel, so that wasn't too inconvenient.
House rule: no shoes on inside. The owners made Ikea one happy store, for most everything in the hostel came from there - the shoe drawers at both entrance doors included.
The entrance door for new guests has a camera staring down at you and the office window right there as a second way to eye up who is at the door. Guests are given an access code to get in the side door. That's how you get in your room, too. All rooms have modern, code-based entry systems.
The common area has a couple of couches and three computers. The musical ambience will be provided by whoever is on duty and whatever they are playing in the office. Bathrooms are on each floor. I counted one downstairs and two upstairs. They all seemed clean and in good repair.
The guest room had two sets of bunk beds. There are lockers in the room. Bring your own padlock. A wifi booster was outside my room. I didn't try using the hostel's wireless. The linens and towel were clean. Aside from the hair on the pillowcase (bottom side), I saw nothing alarming. As stated before, Ikea made out like a bandit. I have no complaints about the quality of the sleeping quarters.
I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: The neighborhood is quiet. No room is going to be any noisier. If you are near a bathroom and the ba...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank ChumpireFanzine
There are newer reviews for Capital View

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I was in the process of moving overseas and spent one night in this little place. It looks a bit spooky on the outside, but the rooms are clean with comfortable beds and the bathrooms were fine. I didn't use the kitchen as there are some great restaurants around, and the wi fi worked the entire time.

It was a bit expensive for a hostel, but the staff was wonderful--especially because I had huge boxes traveling with me and they allowed me to keep them in the lobby, saving me from taking them up 3 flights of stairs.

I didn't know about the rooftop lounge, but I was only there for an overnight stay and left very early in the morning. For a quick visit to DC or a layover, this hostel is more than adequate.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Stephannie S
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I have stayed at better hostels in DC for less. The rooms are a bit dumpy for what you pay - pretty beat up, broken glass, etc. The bathrooms are decent, and the internet connection is good though. The worst part is the woman who checked me in ripped me off. I had already paid a deposit, and a booking fee, but she made me pay the total price on top of that. After a long flight it was not worth hasseling with.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Little expensive for what we got, but not a bad hostel. Kitchen was well equipped, there was a nice communal area - and people always seemed to be around there to chat. Rooms were decent (three of us stayed in a four bed dorm and the roomie we had with us was friendly). Bathrooms were small for the amount of people using them, but reasonable if you can handle mixed showers/toilets. Location was a little out of the way, 15 minute walk to the nearest subway. Also they don't have keys to the room, they have codes. We found out that they don't change these codes very often, so we had a friend staying in the room we stayed in before us and the code was the same! So not sure how tight they are on security.
The rooftop is what would make me visit this hostel again - you could take your dinner up to the rooftop and sit looking out over DC in the evening. Perhaps would look elsewhere for a better price though next time. Somewhere that lets you keep your shoes on!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed at the Capital View for 6 nights with a batch of 13 peers for a working trip in Nov-Dec 2011.
Good: The building is nice outside, and the floor is clean. Wifi was ok in our room. We also got to use the computers in the lobby. The bathrooms are clean, there are also decorative flowers and pictures – I always love to see those things in a bathroom. I always went out in a group, so I didn’t feel sneaky going through dark streets as said in other reviews. Even when we went back to the hostel very late at night, I didn’t see prostitutes or suspicious people around the building as complained in other reviews. The security was fine for me, we had password for the back door. We used the kitchen only once, it was neat in the refrigerator. Everybody had to pack their food with their name on a label outside. We had a lot of fun sitting and talking in the kitchen having our late snacks.
Bad: The staff we checked in with was so sluggish. It was frustrating to wait when we arrived in a big group and late in the evening. When we needed help during their working hours, more than once we did not find any staff in the little office near the main door. One of the bathrooms did not have hot water, I had to shower in cold water for the first time – you just can’t change to another bathroom easily when you have already started the shower and everybody else is occupying other bathrooms! That was obviously not a lovely memory. Hope it has been fixed.
So the bottom line is if you are looking for a place to just sleep for a reasonable price, this is not too bad a place for you.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank katies689
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed in a twin private room for 4 nights which cost $400 after taxes. This is an outrageous amount for a hostel of such poor quality and I wouldnt pay half that.

The only positive I can think of is that the location is ok and it's quite easy to find once you get used to the weird way the Washington streets are set out.

The room was basic but fine at first glance only to later realise the air con was set too cold and with no way to change it we were freezing half the time. This is a problem you would think could easily be sorted which brings me to my next point.

The office hours say 10am to 10pm. Now for the whole time we were there, the only time there was someone in the front office was when we checked in. There was no way to get in contact and never anyone there over night. Shambles.

We asked about doing some laundry, the guy said come ask the front desk and they will help. Our clothes were soaked due to a downpour so it was pretty desperate. After the first two days of nobody being there we went across the road and paid more money.

Finally the toilets were fine but there was not enough of them. If you get a room on the top floor, the water takes 5 minutes to warm up in the showers!

Advice- pay a little bit extra (not much) to stay in a better place.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NilSatisTravel
Reviewed August 22, 2012

An ok place to stay if you have no other choice. The rooms and beds were all fine. The bathrooms were ok but kind of gross and it seemed like there weren't enough bathrooms for the amount of people staying there. Also they make you take your shoes off before coming inside which is a pain. My friend and I were late checking in because our flight was delayed and so we were charged $40 for checking in 3 hours late.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends