WINNER WONDERLAND

“A great place for one night” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Capital View

Capital View
Beau Vallon, Seychelles
“A great place for one night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

I was in the process of moving overseas and spent one night in this little place. It looks a bit spooky on the outside, but the rooms are clean with comfortable beds and the bathrooms were fine. I didn't use the kitchen as there are some great restaurants around, and the wi fi worked the entire time.

It was a bit expensive for a hostel, but the staff was wonderful--especially because I had huge boxes traveling with me and they allowed me to keep them in the lobby, saving me from taking them up 3 flights of stairs.

I didn't know about the rooftop lounge, but I was only there for an overnight stay and left very early in the morning. For a quick visit to DC or a layover, this hostel is more than adequate.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank nyctosf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
West Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

I have stayed at better hostels in DC for less. The rooms are a bit dumpy for what you pay - pretty beat up, broken glass, etc. The bathrooms are decent, and the internet connection is good though. The worst part is the woman who checked me in ripped me off. I had already paid a deposit, and a booking fee, but she made me pay the total price on top of that. After a long flight it was not worth hasseling with.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

Little expensive for what we got, but not a bad hostel. Kitchen was well equipped, there was a nice communal area - and people always seemed to be around there to chat. Rooms were decent (three of us stayed in a four bed dorm and the roomie we had with us was friendly). Bathrooms were small for the amount of people using them, but reasonable if you can handle mixed showers/toilets. Location was a little out of the way, 15 minute walk to the nearest subway. Also they don't have keys to the room, they have codes. We found out that they don't change these codes very often, so we had a friend staying in the room we stayed in before us and the code was the same! So not sure how tight they are on security.
The rooftop is what would make me visit this hostel again - you could take your dinner up to the rooftop and sit looking out over DC in the evening. Perhaps would look elsewhere for a better price though next time. Somewhere that lets you keep your shoes on!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
San Jose
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed at the Capital View for 6 nights with a batch of 13 peers for a working trip in Nov-Dec 2011.
Good: The building is nice outside, and the floor is clean. Wifi was ok in our room. We also got to use the computers in the lobby. The bathrooms are clean, there are also decorative flowers and pictures – I always love to see those things in a bathroom. I always went out in a group, so I didn’t feel sneaky going through dark streets as said in other reviews. Even when we went back to the hostel very late at night, I didn’t see prostitutes or suspicious people around the building as complained in other reviews. The security was fine for me, we had password for the back door. We used the kitchen only once, it was neat in the refrigerator. Everybody had to pack their food with their name on a label outside. We had a lot of fun sitting and talking in the kitchen having our late snacks.
Bad: The staff we checked in with was so sluggish. It was frustrating to wait when we arrived in a big group and late in the evening. When we needed help during their working hours, more than once we did not find any staff in the little office near the main door. One of the bathrooms did not have hot water, I had to shower in cold water for the first time – you just can’t change to another bathroom easily when you have already started the shower and everybody else is occupying other bathrooms! That was obviously not a lovely memory. Hope it has been fixed.
So the bottom line is if you are looking for a place to just sleep for a reasonable price, this is not too bad a place for you.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank katies689
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed in a twin private room for 4 nights which cost $400 after taxes. This is an outrageous amount for a hostel of such poor quality and I wouldnt pay half that.

The only positive I can think of is that the location is ok and it's quite easy to find once you get used to the weird way the Washington streets are set out.

The room was basic but fine at first glance only to later realise the air con was set too cold and with no way to change it we were freezing half the time. This is a problem you would think could easily be sorted which brings me to my next point.

The office hours say 10am to 10pm. Now for the whole time we were there, the only time there was someone in the front office was when we checked in. There was no way to get in contact and never anyone there over night. Shambles.

We asked about doing some laundry, the guy said come ask the front desk and they will help. Our clothes were soaked due to a downpour so it was pretty desperate. After the first two days of nobody being there we went across the road and paid more money.

Finally the toilets were fine but there was not enough of them. If you get a room on the top floor, the water takes 5 minutes to warm up in the showers!

Advice- pay a little bit extra (not much) to stay in a better place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NilSatisTravel
Poughquag, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

An ok place to stay if you have no other choice. The rooms and beds were all fine. The bathrooms were ok but kind of gross and it seemed like there weren't enough bathrooms for the amount of people staying there. Also they make you take your shoes off before coming inside which is a pain. My friend and I were late checking in because our flight was delayed and so we were charged $40 for checking in 3 hours late.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

Stayed at the hostel on i street. Ok for a budget stay in DC. Close to the metro, only 10 mins walk. It is clean enough. We stayed in room 5 and it was quite small (4 people), had no rubbish bin and little space for our suitcases. The bathroom wasn't the best but was ok. There were three showers and only one toilet on our floor. We didn't use the kitchen, living room or roof due to lack of time so I can't comment on those. We also didn't have any need to interact with staff after checking in. Wifi was really good and helped us out a lot. We are both 24 year old girls and felt the average age of residents was much older. We left for the airport at 4am on a Saturday morning and were greeted by prostitutes and other dangerous looking people outside the hostel. As residents can only exit through the side door, we had to wait outside for our shuttle. This was unnerving and we felt unsafe. Our shuttle even drove by and parked a block away, had a feeling this was due to the antics going on outside and not because the driver couldn't find the hostel. I would not walk outside late at night. Overall, the hostel is fine for a short stay, when you only need a place to sleep and shower!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends