“Good stay, close to metro.”

Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol
Ranked #79 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed one night in this location on our way back up to Philadelphia, nice clean hotel, metro one block from hotel, our room was clean & fresh, decor, fittings & furniture were in good condition, no complaints at all, staff were polite & efficient on check in / out, the hotel has a few sandwich shops etc on same block, a lot of construction work opposite & around hotel at time of our visit, there is a small shop in the lobby selling microwave meals, snacks & drinks ,rooms have a microwave & refrigerator so that could be handy, on arrival there seemed to be a lot of people hanging around by the hotel entrance & we took a wrong turn looking for the metro & not far from hotel the areas not so good, but once we got our bearings the walk from metro to hotel felt fine even when returning later at night, overall a good stay & an ideal place to explore DC from with the excellent metro so close, would stay again at the right price & recommend to others.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cheshirelad01
Rich L, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear cheshirelad01,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your stay. I'm glad you found the hotel convenient for your travel needs. This neighborhood is very new and growing rapidly as you experienced. We hope to see you again soon!

Anthony McKitrick
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed August 26, 2013

For visiting D.C., this hotel is off the beaten path. It is a very long walk to the Capital and/or Mall. Difficult to find if you are driving, especially with street closures due to street construction in front of the hotel. Parking is expensive at and near the hotel. There is a $5 lot at the intersection of New York Avenue and First Street, which is a few blocks away. Better option is to not travel by car and use the Metro. The NoMa-Gallaudet U station (red line) is approximately 1 block away from the front of the hotel. Union Station is approximately 0.5 miles from the hotel. The front desk staff while efficient, were not overly friendly. Zero recognition of being a top-tier HHonors member. Need key card to access hotel at night, and at all times on the elevator. Shout out to Keith in maintenance for assisting us when the door lock to our room malfunctioned and had to be re-set. Keith quickly got us in our room and reassured us he would be available if we had any other issues during our stay. Pillows had to be the smallest pillows I have ever encountered in any hotel around the world. Be extra careful walking around the room in the dark. The bed frames are made of wood and have very big and hard corners. Shins are in for a beating. As mentioned, there is street construction so request a high level room to avoid the noise. The restaurant is sufficiently sized so finding a table is convenient. Breakfast buffet is typical for a Garden Inn. The front desk staff at checkout in the morning were quite dis-interested in interacting with a guest during checkout. Overall, the hotel was clean. However, for my next trip to D.C., I would consider a hotel with a better location, and friendlier staff (except for Keith who is a major plus for this hotel).

Room Tip: Ask for high level room to avoid construction noise.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank vtstutz
668DavidD668, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear vtstutz,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, and I am happy to know that our maintenance engineer, Keith, was a ray of sunshine in an otherwise less-than-perfect stay. I appreciate your feedback regarding our beds and pillows, and will certainly take it into consideration as we purchase new materials in the future.

My biggest concern, however is the fact that we apparently failed to recognize your HHonors status, and that you found some staff members to be unfriendly. That is far from the norm for us, and I apologize that we let you down. Please rest assured that your feedback is taken seriously , and we will strive to do a better job in the future.

Thank you staying with us, and I do hope you will give us an opportunity to win back your confidence. My email address is below so please do not hesitate to reach out when planning your next visit to DC.

David Del Russo
david.del.russo1@hilton.com

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Problems with this establishment: 1. On check in (was on a Friday Morning 16/08/2013), I asked to speak to a manager. Unfortunately I was told that there is no manager on duty over a weekend to address my issues and it would have to wait till Monday. 2. We called for an engineer to be sent up to cut our bag tie wraps when we arrived (the front desk said they would send an engineer to assist). After waiting for 45 minutes my wife had to take the bags downstairs to cut the tie wraps. 3. The toilet seat was loose/broken (which we don't mind), but rooms need to be checked before someone checks in, that nothing is broken. 4. When we returned (leaving the hotel at 6h30am returning at 13h00pm), we found that the room had not been serviced/ cleaned. I went downstairs to inform the front desk to which the lady replied that she was sorry that they were short staffed. Cleaning personnel were sent up around 13h45 to clean the room. This is unacceptable as we were out the whole day and we were very tired, but had to leave the room to accommodate the cleaning staff at this time. 6. The printing facilities in the business center were out of order and we were assisted by the front desk with bad prints (due to their machine also giving problems). On a positive note the general condition of the room was fine, breakfast was good and most of the staff were friendly under the circumstances. I think that if there had been a manager around, we could have resolved these problems immediately. I am very disappointed and would not recommend this hotel in the Hilton group as it did not meet the standard guarantee I expected

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Marvin D

Dear Marvin D,

It pains me to read your review. I thank you for the positive notes you mentioned, however I am very sorry that you found your stay to be anything less than wonderful overall. The vast majority of our guests really do enjoy their experience at the hotel – however it is obvious that we failed to live up to our own high standards in this case – and for that I sincerely apologize.

I know that we have already been in contact directly with you through our corporate office in order to best address the concerns you mention – so I will not repeat them here except to assure you that we take every Trip Advisor review very seriously; and I will be reviewing your feedback with our entire team to ensure that we do a better job in the future.

Thank you for being a Hilton Honors member, and I certainly hope that you will give us an opportunity to provide you with our usual high level of service the next time you visit DC. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the email address below so that I may personally handle your arrangements.

David Del Russo
david.del.russo1@hilton.com

Reviewed August 22, 2013

The Hilton Garden Inn has a great staff! The staff is very personable, caring and professional. My room was nice, quiet and comfy.The building is secure. You also have to enjoy the fast past of the city. The hotel is downtown, where there is a lot going on. The hotel is directly across from a nightclub. Great thing is after 11pm you have to have a key to even enter the building. I will be staying there again in the near future.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Nicole G
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My stay at the Hilton Garden Inn was pleasant. The staff was nice and the rooms were clean. The hotel had a lot of stores and restaurants I could walk to, so the location was great. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We have stayed here 3 times so far and it has been a very good experience each time, I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to the DC area. It is a convienient walk to the metro station. There is a night club across the street but it hasn't been an issue as there is security all around and it is only busy on the weekends.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was my first stay and the Washington Hilton Garden Inn was neat, clean, and very convenient to the Metro. Staff was friendly and helpful. Cars are safely stored in underground parking. I would stay there again when I am in the DC area and look forward to another stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple