“Great place to stay!”

Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol
Ranked #85 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Lovely room, great food and good wine choice and a staff that makes you feel like you are at home. This is a great place for a business traveler. Comfortable work space. Would also be great for families. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: March 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,376)

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Excellent value and superb guest service. What a great place to stay while in DC. Very convenient to the Metro/Bikeshare. Walking distance to Union Station and Capitol HIll. Staff is very friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: HIghest even number rooms have the best views of the Hill.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel was great!! Everyone who worked there was always smiling and so polite. Very nice rooms. Modern and comfortable. The breakfast at the restaurant was great! Had just about anything you could possible want and for a decent price. The only downfall for me is that I smoke and it is a smokefree hotel. But that isn't anybodys fault but my own. Also, it is more than a short walk to all the museums. We walked but by the time you get there you dont want to walk anymore. But other than those two things it was a great hotel!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2013

First time in this hotel, so location was nice, close to the red line, hotel seems to be somewhat up to date in décor and amenities. The restaurant was OK, nothing to write home about. The staff was friendly and helpful. The only real down fall on this hotel was the beds, very hard. The area surrounding the hotel has a limited restaurants choices.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This Hilton property is located in a great location in Washington D.C. I was greeted by a friendly smile at the curb and the front desk staff were friendly and efficient in checking me in. The room was nothing less than outstanding! As I encountered hotel maintaince and cleaning staff, I was always properly greeted and asked if I needed any assistance. I highly recommend the Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The hotel was in an up and coming area, but maybe not the best location for a family with younger children. The room was very good looking. We were just settling in to the room when we noticed a cockroach near the coffee maker. Although the staff were accommodating we still decided to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Hutchinson55
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Thank you for your feedback with your most recent stay. I was shocked to see the comment about a cockroach in your room. We have never had any issues with even an ant in any of our guestrooms as long as I've been here. We actually perform monthly pest control preventative maintanence where most hotels only perform it quarterly if even that much. Please contact me at your convenience so I can find out in more detail your experience. Thanks very much.

Anthony McKitrick
Assistant General Manager
202-534-1342

Reviewed February 19, 2013

This hotel was great. It is about six blocks behind Union Station, so if you have an early train to catch the location is perfect. Ten minute walk or two minutes by cab. The Red Line Metro is right behind it, the first stop after Union Station. The hotel itself is very clean and modern, with a small but perfectly accommodating lobby. The staff were very friendly and prompt. I have to say that among front desk staffs, this was one of the best. Good humored and helpful. I was with my teenaged son (who has autism) and they could not have been nicer.

When we checked in we were given a pretty impressive list of opportunities to eat and drink and swim and exercise as guests of the hotel. They offer receptions with food and beverages, and generally try to keep the guests amused. We didn't attend any but wish that we could have.

The room did not appear to be an upgrade, so I think that I am discussing a pretty standard accommodation. It was quite quiet and clean and had what we needed. It was not huge, but we had plenty of space. There was a large very modern (and unfortunately uncomfortable) chair, an ottoman, a desk, flat screen TV, dedicated bed reading lights (nice touch, especially with outlets next to them for charging the phones.) So many places don't have enough outlets but this did. The wifi worked well and was free because of frequent Hilton stays. The bed was clean and comfortable with some system for adjusting it that we did not try. It was fine as is. A good night's sleep. Included breakfast was good.

I was especially grateful for the small fridge and microwave. The hotel is adjacent to a very nice Harris-Teeter grocery store, which was beautifully stocked with many prepared and other foods. Because of my son's quirky palate and social issues, it is easier to avoid crowded and noisy restaurants, so this was an unexpected bonus. If you have a family or just don't want to dine alone in a restaurant, this grocery store was a terrific option for healthful and/or convenient meals. We even were able to get what we needed for a picnic on the train, so did not have to have a microwaved hot dog or juggle a fast food package from the station. We saved money and had a fantastic train meal that made the other passengers envious, thanks to the fridge, microwave and location of the hotel. Well done. There is also a CVS across the street and several restaurants within a minute or two, so it is hard to lack for anything.

We needed some cabs and if you give them a bit of notice (10-15 minutes) one will be waiting for you. The front desk clerk even escorted us out to make sure no one took the cab ordered for us!

Although I stay in a lot of Hiltons I think this may have been my first time in a Garden Inn. It won't be my last. I have stayed in most hotels in DC by now (or at least it seems that way) and while this was not the fanciest or most prestigious, it was entirely comfortable, low-key, clean, well-situated, and did not nickel and dime you to death for every little amenity. It makes me crazy to stay at a luxury hotel blocks from this one and pay $15/night for the internet, or be forced to use the in-house room service at ripoff rates if all I want is a light meal and some privacy. This was so convenient to the Metro and train station that the entire city was at your fingertips. New go-to hotel for DC. And did I mention that the rate was half of what I usually pay for DC hotels? For the price, it was a real treat.

Room Tip: We asked for a room with no adjacent/shared door so it would be quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank withkidstravel
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write so many wonderful things about the hotel. It sounds as though you put a lot of time and effort into it which means we really must have had a positive impact on your experience here in D.C. We really hope to see you again soon!

Anthony McKitrick