“Great stay near Union Station and Red Line Metro, clean, affordable and comfortable”

Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol
Ranked #81 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed February 19, 2013

This hotel was great. It is about six blocks behind Union Station, so if you have an early train to catch the location is perfect. Ten minute walk or two minutes by cab. The Red Line Metro is right behind it, the first stop after Union Station. The hotel itself is very clean and modern, with a small but perfectly accommodating lobby. The staff were very friendly and prompt. I have to say that among front desk staffs, this was one of the best. Good humored and helpful. I was with my teenaged son (who has autism) and they could not have been nicer.

When we checked in we were given a pretty impressive list of opportunities to eat and drink and swim and exercise as guests of the hotel. They offer receptions with food and beverages, and generally try to keep the guests amused. We didn't attend any but wish that we could have.

The room did not appear to be an upgrade, so I think that I am discussing a pretty standard accommodation. It was quite quiet and clean and had what we needed. It was not huge, but we had plenty of space. There was a large very modern (and unfortunately uncomfortable) chair, an ottoman, a desk, flat screen TV, dedicated bed reading lights (nice touch, especially with outlets next to them for charging the phones.) So many places don't have enough outlets but this did. The wifi worked well and was free because of frequent Hilton stays. The bed was clean and comfortable with some system for adjusting it that we did not try. It was fine as is. A good night's sleep. Included breakfast was good.

I was especially grateful for the small fridge and microwave. The hotel is adjacent to a very nice Harris-Teeter grocery store, which was beautifully stocked with many prepared and other foods. Because of my son's quirky palate and social issues, it is easier to avoid crowded and noisy restaurants, so this was an unexpected bonus. If you have a family or just don't want to dine alone in a restaurant, this grocery store was a terrific option for healthful and/or convenient meals. We even were able to get what we needed for a picnic on the train, so did not have to have a microwaved hot dog or juggle a fast food package from the station. We saved money and had a fantastic train meal that made the other passengers envious, thanks to the fridge, microwave and location of the hotel. Well done. There is also a CVS across the street and several restaurants within a minute or two, so it is hard to lack for anything.

We needed some cabs and if you give them a bit of notice (10-15 minutes) one will be waiting for you. The front desk clerk even escorted us out to make sure no one took the cab ordered for us!

Although I stay in a lot of Hiltons I think this may have been my first time in a Garden Inn. It won't be my last. I have stayed in most hotels in DC by now (or at least it seems that way) and while this was not the fanciest or most prestigious, it was entirely comfortable, low-key, clean, well-situated, and did not nickel and dime you to death for every little amenity. It makes me crazy to stay at a luxury hotel blocks from this one and pay $15/night for the internet, or be forced to use the in-house room service at ripoff rates if all I want is a light meal and some privacy. This was so convenient to the Metro and train station that the entire city was at your fingertips. New go-to hotel for DC. And did I mention that the rate was half of what I usually pay for DC hotels? For the price, it was a real treat.

Room Tip: We asked for a room with no adjacent/shared door so it would be quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank withkidstravel
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write so many wonderful things about the hotel. It sounds as though you put a lot of time and effort into it which means we really must have had a positive impact on your experience here in D.C. We really hope to see you again soon!

Assistant General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,347)

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Great hotel for its price structure. Not that far away from things and if you don't want to walk taxis are plentiful. At the breakfast bar there were made to order omelets - YUM! The wine is pricey at the bar but that is typical for a hotel. The parking was decently priced compared to other hotels in the area. There is a Harris Teeter next door that is open until midnight. Really a great experience and I will stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Thanks very much for the great comments about our hotel. We're really glad you enjoyed everything! We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

This hotel is located about 6 blocks (easy walk) north of Washington Union Train Station, and 2 short blocks from the NoMA / Galaudett Metro station.

The hotel is clean, modern in its amenities, quiet, and convenient. It has the feel of a very good European hotel. An on-premises restaurant serves a great breakfast.

Rooms are well appointed, the staff is knowledgeable and helpful in all respects.

Great location if traveling to DC on business as well as an excellent place to start and end a day of sightseeing in the capital.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the inside part of the building (even numbered rooms). All rooms are quiet. The...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Very nice quiet hotel in the City center. Great beds, TV and channel lineup, good shower, nice breakfast and very courteous staff. The Food and Service at B. Smith's at the Historic Train Station and The District Chop House were both excellent.

Room Tip: Great central location plus a very nice large grocery store next door.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank big10sjunkie
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I recently stayed here and instantly fell in love with the property. I had looked it up online before I booked it but the pictures do it no justice. This hotel is out of this world beautiful!! Plus, it lies in the heart of DC near the best attractions. On top of it being a beautiful property, the service i received was amazing! Everyone was very hospitable, warm, welcoming, and friendly. Also, before I arrived I had been corresponding with the sales coordinator Lois Evan. She is true gem and asset to your property!! She was very professional, accomodating, and patient during our correspondence. I had many questions and she was right there to answer them. She also played a huge part in me choosing this porperty. Lois, is definitely a model employee and you guys are ever so lucky to have her.

Let me not forget to talk about the breakfast. The breakfast was out of this world!! My friends and I made it our business to have breakfast. The wait staff was great and right there whenever we needed them. Everything about this property from the location, to the staff, to the food, and the ambiance made my stay every penny worth staying. Every time I come to DC I will only stay at this property. There's nothing like receiving 5 star service and it being delivered across the board from the beginning to end.

THIS IS TRULY THE GREATEST PLACE ON EARTH!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

HI Cathy,

I'm so excited after reading your enthusiastic review! I'm so glad we made your experience unforgettable and that Lois went above and beyond to take care of you. She is a true assett and we are very lucky to have her on our team! We hope to see you again soon when you return to Washington.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

This hotel is in the booming NoMa district, so staying in a neighborhood has its perks with a grocery store and Starbucks on the same street. The Metro is a short walk away, and it is very close to Capitol Hill. This was my second stay here, and the staff are very nice and are attentive to any issues that arise. I travel to DC a lot and this is by far my favorite place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights while in DC. The location is pretty good. I walked to the mall and surrounding sites everyday and it wasn't bad. It is a lot of walking but as long as you have a good pair of gym shoes, you'll be fine. Plus I crammed a lot of site seeing in those 3 days so I think I walked more than most would. The service was fantastic. I arrived an hour before check in but they gave me a room right away. The first night, I had a hard time sleeping as the bed was very soft. I talked to the front desk and they said the bed was adjustable which I didn't know or see anything in the room to tell me that. But the front desk gave me a voucher for breakfast and to my surprise, when I got back to my room, there was a tray of cheese, crackers, and fruit waiting for me. The next two nights were much better as I adjusted the bed to my liking. I was on the second floor in an inner room away from the street. It was quiet, spacious and the room was clean. Pretty basic but not bad. There was a microwave which was handy to reheat leftovers. An in room safe would have been nice but they do have one at the front desk you can use. This hotel was the least expensive one within walking distance to everything and I was pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness and service. I was very satisfied with my stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo