“Very nice staff”

Ranked #82 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Texas
“Very nice staff”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I spent quite a bit of time researching hotels near the Washington attractions. Our first impression was that this hotel is not what it appeared to be in the photos online. The hotel is not in the best neighborhood for anyone that is going in and out of the hotel after dark. Homeless people frequent the front of the hotel. The staff were great and accomodating. I requested a late check out and they were happy to make those arrangements. I then decided to extend my trip by a day to be able to accomplish more research and the staff were also very helpful extending my reservation. The room was comfortable and clean with a small fridge and coffee pot. The lobby provided coffee in the mornings and lemon water in the afternoons. The pool was cold, but we enjoyed the hot tub. There is a nice work-out room next to the pool.

The restaurant is contracted. They have limited hours and absolutely NO SERVICE. It was ridiculous. The actual food was very good, but the staff were so distracted doing their own things, socializing, etc, that the few patrons in the restaurant were not receiving service. I would not return to this restaurant regardless of how good the food was. Also I called down for room service from this restaurant - I asked what their specials were - the female that answered the phone stated "I don't know". She was put out that I had called. I asked her if they were closed or getting ready to close - she stated no. I should have not ordered, but the options in the neighborhood at night were limited. The service/personnel in the restaurant do not reflect the attitudes of the staff working the hotel. I found all staff members to be polite and helpful. I would have liked to have been able to give a higher rating because of the staff. Unfortunately, the location and lack of restaurant service/availability were significant drawbacks to this location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I do apologize that you experienced challenges with our restaurant. I have shared your comments with our restaurant team so that we can take steps to ensure every guest is satisfied, every time. I do hope that you will give us another chance to prove our commitment to your comfort.

Rich Lingenfelter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Turkish first
new york
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The rates are not as gentle as the introductory ones. The street however has even more attractions. 1. Starbucks. 2. Very close to the train station is the National Postal Museum which is free and surprisingly fun.

I still liked it but lowered my rating as a function of the price/value mix because the price went up.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Hello!

I am glad that you were able to enjoy our brand new neighborhood Starbucks and also the Postal Museum by Union Station. Hurry back soon to see more openings in our rapidly changing neighborhood!

chicago,il
Reviewed October 13, 2012

It's 3am and I've been trying to get to sleep since 10pm after an exhausting day of sight seeing. The hotel is directly across the street from the Ibiza nightclub that plays house music until 3am. They have to 'pat down' the patrons who enter and there are several cop cars parked in front all night long (if that gives you any idea of the clientele the club attracts). When the club finally closes at 3am hundreds of drunk people spill into the street and there are police sirens, fighting, swearing, horn blaring. I'm awake and having the worst nightmare. The staff downstairs are indifferent. What's the point of having a comfortable bed if you can't fall asleep? Also, I'm on the third floor. Only 4 rooms on this floor. It's near the pool and housekeeping and the entire floor reeks like chlorine and bleach. It's been a horrible stay which is a shame because the rooms are clean and comfortable. If you're looking for somewhere to get some rest GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank meandering11
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Hello,

I am truly sorry that you had a negative experience regarding noise from outside the hotel. I would like to note that just because there is a nightclub next door does not mean that the area is dangerous. We take guest safety very seriously and increased police presence in the city during the nighttime hours is appreciated. Please contact me directly so that we can further discuss, but again I am sorry that your stay with us was not 100% satisfactory.

Barrington, IL
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stayed here the last week of September for three nights. This hotel is not yet popular, although it will get there quickly. The neighborhood is not the best at night but there was lots of police presence, and it had a nice healthy college feel about it with NoMa nearby. The rooms are newer furnishings with the newer dial-a-bed (soft to firm) mattresses. Not the largest of rooms, but very well laid out - we had the two double beds, which also gave us two separate chairs to sit in (one desk chair, one oversized cloth chair. Bathroom is good sized with good curved shower curtain rod. Nearby are Roti (mediterranean) and a sandwich place, plus Harris Teeter full size grocery store (with excellent sushi). Rooms were quiet with nice heavy doors. The fitness center could accomodate about ten people comfortably, the hot tub about 6 people comfy. The pool is very small and only up to five feet deep - as an adult, I could push off one side of the pool and with one stroke be at the other side. Breakfast buffet was a star - homemade waffles, omelettes or french toast - plus good fruit / yogurt / baked items selections. They have two larger meeting rooms (can be made into one) and they had a wedding one of our nights. Nice open area on the second floor (probably can seat 40 people) between the buildings where you can sit and relax (including a fountain) or people were dog walking. Had the restautrant food (the Water-something grill) one night - did not go well - two items came out cold (including a mac and cheese for goodness' sake!!!) and one hot - we sent back one - and pricey for the smaller portions we got. Cab ride to Union Station (where the tour buses start, and where they have lots of food choices) is about $8 including tip, and you can walk it but it's about eight blocks (at least). About $10 to the Capitol Building. Will definitely go back - this is one of the lower cost hotels in DC in this mid-range area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank munchman
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thanks so much for providing such a detailed review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that your restaurant experience was not perfect. Please come back again so that we can ensure your complete satisfaction-dessert on me!

Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel three times in the past few months. I've had both great and so-so experiences thus far. Overall, a good, clean, and relatively inexpensive hotel for the DC Metro area. Rooms are spacious with new furnishings and there is a McDonalds about 2 minutes away for quick food.
Positives:
- Location: Only 3 minute walk to NoMa Metro station.
- Staff was helpful and friendly.
- Restaurant food was very good, albeit expensive
Negatives:
- Busy nightclub right across the street. On Friday/Saturday night it is loud and depending on your room, you can hear it into the early morning.
- Location: Although this area of DC is improving, still not great.
- Digital TV signal buffered on multiple stays, some channels not coming in at all.
I will probably stay here again, primarily due to the price and service.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hello,

I am happy to hear that you will stay with us again, but I want to ensure that you have a 100% satisfactory experience every time! Please reach out to me directly when you are coming into town next so that we can meet in person. It's our goal to make sure your experience is exceptional!

Thanks,

Lynnwood
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Fantastic hotel! Location was close to Union Station, about a 10 min walk. Hotel is super clean and the service provided by the staff was wonderful! The room was also great - roomy, king size bed ... Overall a fantastic hotel!!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Geneva M
Hello!

I am so glad that you had a fantastic stay with us. We are so lucky to have such an incredible team that provides excellent service to our guests. Come back again soon!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I was a tad unsure about this hotel because of its location-north of Union Station. I lived in DC ten years ago, and at that time this would have been a dicey neighborhood. Boy was I surprised! The area the hotel is in, NoMa, is definitely evolving for the better, with new apartment buildings, restaurants and stores. I loved this hotel-it was brand spanking new-bright decor, and everything was spotless. The Red Line Metro is just around the corner and there is a huge grocery store/pharmacy right next door to the hotel. Rooms had a refrigerater and microwave, which was nice, and the beds were very comfortable. Excellent coffee provided, a personal beef of mine with many hotels. I wouldn't travel on foot more than a few blocks in any direction from the hotel at night, but during the day, it's fine anywhere. My only complaint was the TV. Choice of channels was limited and very male-oriented-four ESPN channels, golf, and very little else besides local channels. And it took almost 8 seconds for channels to change from one station to another. This is really minor, however, and I didn't think it was worth complaining about. If they had served a free breakfast, they would have gotten five stars.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank pcintx_8
Hello,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are very proud of our new and exciting neighborhood, and I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the surroundings. Thanks Again!