“Overbooked and then told to go courtyard marriott..”

Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol
Ranked #82 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
New York City, New York
“Overbooked and then told to go courtyard marriott..”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

They overbook on their own website and then i was diverted to stay at courtyard for one day and come back next day.... terrible management.... They should be mre professional about this. The front desk is poorly managed and show no respect to customers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ash340
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Hello,

I am truly sorry to hear that our hotel was overbooked and we had to accommodate you at our neighbor the Marriott. Please contact me directly and I will be happy to offer you a complimentary night so that we can provide you with an excellent stay at our hotel.

Hospitably,

Rich Lingenfelter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Just checked into this DC hotel. I'm happy that it has fridge and microwave in room, plus (tiny) indoor pool...but, oh my, the bed! Wish I had known that it is so hard. So uncomfortable, in fact, that I immediately logged into my complimentary wireless access to let this be known. I am actually in the bed now, and not looking forwarding to a night (actually three) of this. I pulled the bed apart to find out what kind it was,so I would never buy that brand, only to find out that it is an inflatable mattress (with 6-inch blow-up valve and all) surrounded by foam padding, with a square foam cushion on top, all of which is in a zip mattress cover. Never in all my travels around the world have I ever seen anything like this. There are "comfort dials" on each side of the head of the bed which you dial to deflate the mattress "for the perfect balance of comfort and support", according to the brochure. (The front desk recommended a 3!) Of course, neither of our dials worked.....I probably will end up on the couch. We'll see how the rest of the holiday weekend goes regarding the bed. Also found some hairs on the tray that holds the hotel toiletries, so that was kind of skeevish. Other than the bed, which is awful, and the hairs, I think the hotel itself seem nice and clean. The rooms are nicely decorated. Our room is located in the front of the hotel, and there is a nightclub directly across the street, so some noise is filtering in, but not too noticeable if you have the tv or your own music on. I will have to write again to see how things go for the holiday weekend. Right now, the bed is just so uncomfortable. I wonder whose idea it was to use these foam-wrapped inflatable mattresses. I checked with the front desk and the entire hotel mattresses are made of this!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
HGIDC, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you for the review. We use the mandated Hilton Garden Inn sleep system beds in all of our king bedrooms. I'm not sure if you brought it to our attention that you were unable to use the adjustable dials, but I am sorry that this was the case, as the staff does check the dials when cleaning. Thank you for the feedback.
Easton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We found the hotel to be very clean and comfortable. The room was spacious with comfortable furnishings. The front desk staff was very pleasant and accommodating. There is no self-park so the only option is the valet parking. The only odd item is for families with young children, the bathroom light switch is located outside of the bathroom and the air conditioning unit has a wall access panel in the room. With small children, these items can be a challenge - several visits in the dark to the bathroom (no way to turn on the light from inside the bathroom, our children love to turn off lights!) and several attempts to open the A/C unit. Overall a nice stay, just would make a different hotel choice until the children are older.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I am glad to hear that you found our hotel to be clean & comfortable and we look forward to serving you in the future!

New York
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I often use trip advisor when deciding the best places to stay in a city I'm unfamiliar with, but I hardly ever write reviews. This property is certainly worthy of a review!! My wife and I decided to take a weekend trip to D.C. to do some site seeing. I choose this property because of the great reviews, proximity to the metro and popular D.C. attractions.

The property is a little tricky to locate, but we called the hotel and Alex walked us through step by step on how to get there. He even stayed on the phone with us to answer all of our questions about the property and information about the area around the hotel. His directions were better great and he immediately made us feel comfortable and excited about our trip to D.C. The area immediately around the hotel is nice, but you can tell that it is an up and coming community.

As soon as my wife and I walked in we asked for Alex. He greeted us as if he had known us forever and went above and beyond to make us feel right at home. He explained to us how to use the metro system and actually helped us plan out our activities for the weekend. He also told us about all the hotel amenities and suggested a wide range of amazing restaurants around D.C. (even the smaller spots the locals frequent like shopping/food at eastern market, and Ted's on 8th street)

The hotel is extremely nice and the pricing is reasonable for all that you experience. It has a sleek urban feel, very modern and extremely clean. I'm sure a lot of hotels in the district are just as nice, but the exceptional customer service makes this hotel our new favorite in D.C.

Thanks Alex for your help making our stay in D.C. memorable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing 1st street.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bill J
Hello!

Alex is a great asset to our team and I am so happy to hear that he made such a positive impact on your stay. Come back and stay with us again soon!

Regina, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed here in July for 3 nights for some sightseeing and to catch a few Nationals games. This hotel is in a great location, and within walking distance from Union Station. Upon arrival, the front desk staff was very helpful. They allowed us to check in rather early, so we managed to get to our room right away. There is a nightclub across the street but the noise is not noticeable, even with a room facing the street it is on. The front staff warned us about it, but it was never an issue.

There is a CVS pharmacy, grocery store, and a few fast food places on the same block as this hotel. The rooms also have microwaves and fridges, so if you don't want to eat out, you can always grab gorceries from the stores next door. The pool area is also very clean and well maintained as is the fitness area.

The location can't be beat. There is always taxis waiting outside, Union station is a short walk away, it is convenient to stores and restaurantes, and landmarks are within walking distance. We even walked from Nationals Park after the baseball games, and it is only about an hour walk to the hotel.

The hotel is also very secure. At night they have staff waiting at the entrances, and you have to show your room card in order to get into the hotel. This should help to give guests piece of mind.

The management is also very courteous and willing to address any problems you may have. We had a bit of an issue with our room on the second day, but it was minor, and the Manager Daniel addressed it immediately. I will definitely return to this property on my next trip to DC, and recommend it to anyone else who is visiting there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RealSaskTraveller
Good Day!

Thanks so much for such a detailed review of your stay with us. I hope you enjoyed the Nationals Games. Come back and see us the next time you are in the District.

Hospitably,

Katonah, New York
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed her in April 2012.

Loved the convenience of having the metro one block away. This was great for saving your feet before a long day of walking. In past had always stayed at locations near Mall and had to walk a distance to get to Metro.

The Hotel is fairly new. The Hotel and rooms were clean. The rooms were spacious. The beds comfortable. I believe there is a pool on sight which we did not use.

The area is up and coming. There are many new buildings going up.

The are locations to grab a quick breakfast in morning. We tried the Supermarket next door which has a buffet breakfast area where you pay by pound. We also ate at a big deli around the corner which served hot and cold food as well.

Loved that they would take our car out of parking on a moments notice.

Will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank claudiaB1
I am thrilled to hear that you and your nieces enjoyed the hotel so much and are planning to stay with us again. Have a great weekend!

Westchester
Reviewed August 27, 2012

If you are OK using the Metro to get around and don't care about a view, this is a great choice. One block from NOMA Metro station and one stop to Union Station. We scored a room rate of $109 on hotels.com. Valet parking was $30. New building, bright, crisp clean rooms. Friendly helpful staff is a big plus. Pool and hot tub were excellent after a long day sightseeing. Breakfast was pricey in the hotel restaurant so go next door to Harris Teeter (LOVE this place) and get your provisions. Room has microwave and mini fridge. The only downside is the very loud, raucous night club across the street (Saturday nights), so be sure to ask for a room that does not face 1st Street.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing 1st Street.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Susan R
Thanks so much for the great review of our hotel and our proximity to the metro. I hope you choose our hotel on your next trip to DC.

Thanks Again!