“Clean, Close and Welcoming!”

Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol
Ranked #81 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Very clean, close to Union Street Station (We walked it with an 11 year old and a 9 year old). It is also around the street from the Metro. We weren't out after dark. We felt safe right up until then. I actually went to the attached supermarket after dark and felt quite safe. Great for business traveler. Best staff ever! The rooms were bigger than most.
We were disappointed in the swimming pool. It was the smallest pool I had ever seen. I called prior to our stay and was told 88 people could fit in it. This simply isn't true. I don't think 88 people could fit in the whole pool area. We felt crowded with just the four of us. When other people were in the pool it was not comfortable at all. (I think our room was actually larger than the pool.) This was a bummer because we planned on touring DC by day and swimming at night. Our kids love to swim but didn't want to because it was too small. So, we didn't have much to do at night.

Room Tip: Don't plan on going if you have swimming on your mind.
1  Thank pocoallegro
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Hello!

Thanks so much for your review of our hotel. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us but sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy our pool. We have limited space in a city setting but are happy to be able to provide a pool and hot tub for our guests. I do hope that you will come back and see us again soon!

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol

Reviewed July 17, 2012

This hotel met all of our needs! It is conveniently located close to the Metro (NY Avenue on the red line), a Harris-Teeter, CVS Pharmacy, Wendy's and a McDonald's. I had a rental car that I placed in valet parking ($30.00 a day) and left there until we were ready to check out.The hotel appears new and is very clean. The hotel staff were friendly and eager to assist with whatever need we had. We arrived well before check-in and were welcomed right in. My only complaint is when I asked how far of a walk to a particular intersection I was told it was a short distance and we should walk. It took us 1 hour and 10 minutes to get there. I wish we had taken a taxi or the Metro and felt like we wasted precious time as we were only in town for 3 days and there were so much to see. If I get the chance to return, I will definitely stay here. I loved it!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Rich L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Hello!

I am so glad that our hotel met all of your needs! I will be sure to follow up with our front desk team to ensure we are giving realistic walking time distances.

Come back again soon!

Reviewed July 16, 2012

I just stayed at this hotel for one night (7/14/2012). The staff were very professional. The room was great. Very, very clean. Parking was a challenge. I had a friend dropping me off and picking me up and street parking was not always available. No drop off area if you are not on a taxi. There are a few empty spots for taxis to pull in but there is no compromise for drop offs/pick-ups. that is the only reason for a 4 rating. Otherwise it would be a 5. I would definitely stay here again. Talked to a couple from Texas and they had stayed for 5 nights.... they loved the hotel too. One more thing.... simply loved all the electronic outlets with my numerous items that needed charging, I did not run out of outlets.

Room Tip: I was in 814... inner courtyard view but the room was great.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank waimeavg

Hello!

Thanks so much for taking a moment to tell us about your stay. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel!

Have a wonderful weekend,

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Location: The hotel is not really located in the central core of Washington DC. The area appears to be a very new business district, so everything has a new feel to it. However it is a 5-10min walk from the NY Ave metro station on the red line, which is 1 stop north from Union Station and also connects you directly to important metro stops such as Judiciary Sq, Chinatown, and Metro Center. There is a CVS pharmacy (not 24hr) and a great Harris Teeter supermarket very close to the hotel entrance. Area seemed safe despite earlier reviews.

Lobby: A bit small, but clean. I think the doorman should be replaced, since he is not that helpful. He even walked away from the door when we were approaching.

Check-in: Fast and effortless. We arrived around 1pm, and we were happy that the lady at check-in allowed us to have an early check-in. And she was friendly and offered a map of the city.

Room: Big and clean! I was surprised by how good the room was. The decor is tasteful (pleasant shades of green), the furniture and hardware new and reliable. The bed was big, comfortable, and clean. Plenty of floor space. A desk and lounge chair by the floor-to-ceiling window looking out over the adjacent street. AC was working fine and reliable. TV was a flatscreen with plenty of channels. There is no ceiling lights in the main bedroom, so you have to turn on all the lamps and bedside lights if you want a more pleasant in-room ambiance. Bathroom was great! Clean and modern fixtures. Housekeeping was done everyday and was reliable. A great room.

Check-out: Fast and problem free.

Overall: A great value hotel, new and clean. Definitely much better than 3 stars. Only drawback is location, which is not a problem if you don't mind walking to metro and taking a 5-10min metro to get into central Washington DC.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

WOW...thanks for the detailed review! Please hurry back and visit us again soon!

Reviewed July 11, 2012

This Hilton Garden Inn is located in a fairly convenient location if you want to be near a metro (just 2 blocks away from Metro Red Line- NY Ave) or Union Station.

Other than that, there doesn't seem to be much going on here. It appeared to be right between the shady and "slowly up and coming" part of town. This was confirmed by our friends who are locals.

The hotel itself is modern, clean, and airy. The staff is helpful, friendly, and swift. We were very satisfied with our Queen bed suite. I will probably not stay here next time, simply because the area is pretty boring (and the 2 nightclubs across the street are not our scene), but I do hope the next place I stay at is as nice and reasonably priced as this Garden Inn.

Room Tip: Room 718 faces the courtyard. It's a very pleasant view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rebecca C

Hello!

Thanks for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us! Rest assured that the next time you visit NoMa it will be even more developed. Our neighborhood is the most rapidly developing area in all of Washington, DC. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed one night in June. It is a very new, very nice place, but my booking ran into a snafu and the front desk was a bit underwhelming.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Hello! I am so sorry to hear that you had a challenge at the front desk. I do hope that you will give us another chance in the future.

Regards,

Reviewed July 2, 2012

Stayed here for two nights as a storm refugee during the power outage. When we made the reservations, we requested a regular room. When we checked into our room it was a handicap accessable room. This would have worked, but there was not one single chair in that room to sit in. NOTHING, JUST A BED! What is up with that, handicapped guest do not need a chair for their guest or something to put their belongings on. They certainly do. They did change our room. They next night we came back late and house keeping forgot to leave the hand towels. I was also bothered that noone from house keeping bothered to vacuum all the trash that was on the carpet in front of the elevator on the 6th floor on Sunday, it was still there when we checked out on Monday. What was really annoying was our loud refrigerator. This was in large part due to the fact that noone from house keeping bothered to check it and defrost it. I was surrounded by ice in the ice tray area and it was noisy both nights. Due to the excessive ice our drinks never got cold. Where is the manager/supervisor of house keeping. Are you going around every week or two to inspect all the rooms, so you can stay on top of this stuff. Does your staff have a system for checking everything off when they clean the room, so they do not forget the towels. It made me question if the room was cleaned. I will say, it looked clean, so I assume it was cleaned. This housekeeping staff may well be the under doing of this hotel. You have a nice hotel, who wants to see and walk through two days worth of trash piled on the floor in front of the elevator. There was a broken chair there at one point. They removed the chair and still did not bother to vaccum the floor. It should be noted that the front desk staff was great. They responded promptly to the room change and the hand towels. Despite how nice they were, housekeeping in general can kill a hotel, any hotel. Infact, if house keeping manager/supervisor was doing their job, they would have noticed or ask their staff to note that the handicap room did not have one single chair or anything to sit on, just a bed.

Room Tip: Make sure if you have to book the handicap you that you get one with some chairs or something to sit...
3  Thank SPotomac
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Hello,

I am truly sorry to hear that you experienced housekeeping challenges. I have shared your comments with our team so that we can research the challenges you experienced. We are very proud of our high service rankings and I am so sorry that experiencing great service was not the case for you. I do hope that you will give us another chance to demonstrate our commitment to your 100% satisfaction.