Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol
Ranked #81 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed July 8, 2011

This brand new hotel is nicely decorated and located in a revitalized area of NE DC. It is next to a DOJ and ATF government buildings's so it's super safe to walk the 1 block from the Metro station any time of day. The rooms are very art deco and large. Now for the bad parts, I am a Hilton Honors gold member so I stay t a lot of Hilton hotels. I have to say this is the worse customer service I have ever received. The front desk staf is curt and unwelcoming and not just because of the incident I am about to describe, but the entire tone of the staf is rude. I called the front desk one night because the WIFI was not working and I was left on hold for about 10 minutes. I decided to walk to the front desk and the front desk man said "I'm the only one here and dont know anything about the internet so I stopped answering the phone because to many people were calling." The next unacceptable thing is, this hotel is infront of a night club that on Saturday night is out of control. The street infront of the hotel is taken over by pedestrians, slow moving cars with loud radios and people that stare you down as you walk by them. It was bad!! So my recommendation to you is NOT to stay at this hotel on a Saturday but if you do, be back in the hotel by 1000 PM at the latest. I did not get to eat/drink at the restaurant bar, but it has a very cool feel to it and has a great outdoor patio. What a shame because this could be a great "go to" hotel for DC, but it's far from it.

Room Tip: DO NOT get a street facing room if your staying saturday night.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank JJCrow
uscapitolgm, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2011

Hello,

I am so sorry to hear that you experienced a lack of customer service while staying with us. If you could contact me I would personally like to follow-up as to who you spoke to regarding the internet. Although we do have a night club across the street from the hotel, our neighborhood is very safe. I do hope that you will stay with us again soon so that we can provide you with WOW service.

Rich Lingenfelter

Write a ReviewReviews (1,347)

Reviewed July 6, 2011

Went to see all the sights in Washington DC and chose this hotel. It's about 5-10 minutes walk behind Union Station and about 20 minutes casual walk to the US Capitol.

The hotel itself is beautiful, brand spanking new with great facilities, gorgeous clean rooms and excellent service. The pool is lovely, as is the gym and restaurant.

The only thing to be careful of is walking through the neighbourhood at night as it's still a bit of a dodgy area. While it's definitely an 'improving area' it's still not shaken off a few of the undesirable people in the area. Take a taxi at night time, during the day you're fine to walk around.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ScottJM

Hello! I am so glad to hear that you had such a great experience at our hotel! Please rest assured that while we are located in a new neighborhood, it is extremely safe. I personally live here and we have a large presence of security in the area due to all of the government buildings located on the same block as the hotel. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! We truly appreciate it!

Reviewed June 22, 2011

Our family of four stayed here for three nights in mid-June. The property had been open for less than two months, we were told, and was very pretty inside. Pluses were the staff - very friendly and helpful, the close metro (Florida/NY Ave. Red Line stop is less than a block away), the restaurant was tasty - we had all breakfasts there and one dinner. Minuses were the staff - when we first arrived, the valet handed my husband a baggage cart and he had to load it himself and take into the elevators and to our room. Housekeeping was sketchy at times - we were not given enough towels, our trash was not emptied one day (banana peel in it - yucky smell), and then the next day it was emptied without a replacement trash bag put in. Dirty glasses were left in the bathroom, and all of my toiletries out on the bathroom counter were scooped up and dumped into one of our overnight bags that was sitting there. The pool area is pleasant, but the water was too cold for my kids to swim in. Rooms have microwaves and small fridges - great for storing things purchased at the grocery store right next door. There is also a CVS right across the street. We ate at Roti (a couple doors down - yummy Mediterranean) and had large, yummy glasses of wine at the coffee house in the same block. There aren't many other dining choices within walking distance, so we hopped on the Metro and went one stop to Union Station where we found awesome Asian food. I think the staff issues are simply a training curve - a lot of new people working there, and the valet who got our car when we were leaving packed everything we brought out for us! Our greatest disappointment was with access to the laundry room. When we arrived, there was sign on the door stating that it was closed for servicing - turns out the company who owns the machines had not come to remove the money from them and they were full. We were told it would be taken care of the next day. And the next day it was the same story. Next day, the same story. The front desk offered to let us us the Hilton machines but required two people to be in the room to make sure no one got hurt. We have two small children - we could not leave them alone, so this was not an option. I would definitely stay here again because it is so easy to get into the city for sightseeing.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank SDMom66

Hello! Thanks for commenting on your experience while at our hotel. I am sorry to hear about your challenges with valet & housekeeping. Please rest assured that we are new and learning and therefore working very hard to get better every day. I appreciate your feedback so that we know how to get even better at serving our guests!

Reviewed June 16, 2011

This brand new HGI is located in what apparently used to be a sea of razed buildings. My cab driver didn't even know how to get there (ok, so DC cabbies aren't the sharpest, but still...). There is a strip of buildings that includes the hotel, a condo/apartment (with a Harris Teeter grocery store on the first floor, sweet), and a few restaurants. I'm told there's a Metro stop nearby, but I didn't use it.

The hotel itself is just fine--brand new, so not much to complain about. It's standard HGI fare, albeit more vertical than the typical three-story building. The elevators are quick. The breakfast area has a lot of long, communal dining tables. Personally, I don't want to talk to strangers over my oaties, but I get the vibe. The staff in the restaurant was utterly overworked the day I was there, so much that I felt sorry for them.

The only beef with this place is that the location is pretty unknown. I imagine it's fairly unsavory to walk at night, not that there's much you'd want to walk to. Hailing a cab is not for the faint of heart here, as you often have to leap across a very crowded street to get a cab going in the other direction.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank shlevine

Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your stay at our new hotel. We are in a brand new area of DC, so we are working diligently with all of the different taxi companies to ensure they know about our new neighborhood. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed June 14, 2011

My company booked my hotel, after I told my daughter where I would be staying(she lives in DC) I was told it was not the best area. Having traveled for business allot I know where and what to do in certain areas. Yes, it is on the edge of a sketchy neighborhood but it was a very nice hotel. Fairly new, seemed like a cross between business and pleasure guests. The staff was very accommodating. The fact that it is next door to a major grocery store is a plus for families traveling on a budget. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Just be aware of your surroundings.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
uscapitolgm, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2011

Good Morning!

Thank you so much for the great review. Our neighborhood, NoMa (North of Massachusetts Avenue), is the most rapidly developing neighborhood in Washington, DC. It's an exciting time to stay in NoMa, as there are new developments popping up all around us. I personally live in this neighborhood as well, and I love the close proximity to the Red Line, which is <1 block from the hotel! Thanks again for taking time to review the hotel and I hope you will stay with us on your next trip to Washington, DC.

rich.lingenfelter@hilton.com

Reviewed June 13, 2011

This is a lovely new property in a not-so-lovely, but up-and-coming, neighborhood. The staff was really friendly. The hotel is definitely experiencing glitches in its opening weeks - like the horrific housekeeping service I had - but I hope they can pull it together.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
uscapitolgm, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2011

Hello! Thank you so much for reviewing our new hotel. I am so glad that you enjoyed the hotel, but I do apologize that you experienced challenges with housekeeping. Please rest assured that we are working hard to ensure our team is consistently exceeding every guest's expectations, and I do hope you return to us on your next trip to Washington, DC!

rich.lingenfelter@hilton.com

Reviewed June 9, 2011

Me and my family stayed at this Hotel for one night. We are Hilton Honors Diamond Member, so we automatically got put on an executive floor. The hotel took us a little while to get to, but that was user error. We basically got everything discounted ( wifi, spa, breakfast) since we were executive. I really enjoyed this hotel & would defenitley go back. (:

• Stayed: May 2011

Hello! I am so excited that you had such a great experience at our new hotel! We are very proud of our property and are comitted to WOWing our guests, and I am so glad this was the case for you. Also, congratulations on being a Diamond Member! Please visit us again soon!