“saved by the bartender” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Smith Commons

Smith Commons
Reserve with OpenTable
Smith Commons is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,272 of 3,188 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Bar, Contemporary, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 12th Street, NE
Transit: The two closest Metro stations to Smith Commons are the Red Line stops at New York Ave./Florida Ave./Gallaudet University Station and at Union Station. From the Metro stops, take a cab or X2 bus or walk to 1245 H St. NE. There is also a Capital Bikeshare station at 13th and H Streets.
Richmond
“saved by the bartender”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

We arrived to see a sign outside that happy hour was on...hurray! In leading us to our table, the receptionist told us the happy hour deals could only be had at the bar, not the table (~6 feet away, no wall of separation). We asked if we could stay at the bar and dine. We were told no, that we could only order from the bar menu. OK, we decided to drink at the bar, then move to a table...an annoyance, but nothing more. Andy, the bartender, was fantastic...GIVE THIS GUY A RAISE! He made us feel welcome, mixed us terrific drinks (Tarboro Viking and one of the best Mojito's ever). We decided to share a second Viking and he kindly mixed it in two glasses without any request. He told us that we'd be welcome to order from the dinner menu since it was Wednesday night and they weren't busy. Now that is the kind of server you want to tip big! We enjoyed the goat cheese and beet salad...a winner! My main dish was not memorable (sorry, I really can't remember what I had), but the duck breast was spectacular...definitely the winner of the evening. Coffee took a bit long to arrive, so the end was a bit rushed since we had a show to see at Atlas. If you have reason to be in the area, try this place. It's hip and loud (we're not), but on a week night it's not too noisy and a good meal and drink can be had for a reasonable price.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank experimentaltraveler

London
“Was recommended to go here and it was worth it.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

A client recommended this to go to and I have to say it was worth every penny. Went on a Sunday night and it was pretty empty. The food thought was spectacular. The goats cheese and beet salad was amazing and the steak I had was incredibly well done. Overall I was highly impressed with the restaurant and even more impressed when I got my bill.

Given this was one of the best meals I have had all year, it was definitely the best value.

Only note I would say was that it was tough getting a cab back. I waited for 15 minutes in the restaurant and then went outside to try to get one on the street. Another 10 minutes waiting. As other reviews have mentioned, this is an up and coming area which means, it can be a bit intimidating.

Having said that, this restaurant will be tried again on my next visit to DC.

• Visited October 2012
“Responsive management/excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We went for an early dinner on Sat night and were seated promptly. The short rib app was delicious.. My meal was excellent but I found a piece of paper in my dish...the waitress was very responsive and offered a complimentary glass of wine and dessert. The manager spoke with us and removed my entree from our bill. Overall our meal was excellent and would recommend it for travelers to DC!

• Visited September 2012
Washington, DC
“Happily surprised by a vegetarian option”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

I went to Smith Commons with three friends on a busy Saturday night. We had made reservations, and they were able to seat us pretty much right on time (maybe a 5 minute wait). I ordered the beet salad and the chickpea ravioli, two of the few meatless choices on the menu. The beet salad was very fresh and tasted good, though not great. The ravioli, however, was fantastic. I was expecting a mediocre pasta dish, like most places that don't specialize in meatless meals offer. Instead, I got an interesting, unexpected, delicious and filling entree. I'll definitely be back.

The only thing I truly didn't like was the pre-dinner cocktail we ordered. It was a watermelon drink of sometime, and to me it just tasted like flavored water. I'll skip that next time ~ there were plenty of other options for cocktails, beer and wine.

• Visited April 2012
Hartford, Connecticut
“Good food, pricey but worth it, nice place-sketchy neighborhood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

We ate here on our first night in DC, the atmosphere is contemporary, a rehabbed brick building. The waiter was friendly, the crowd is younger and upscale. The meal came to $200 for four: shared one app, included dessert/coffee and four glasses of wine. Everything was nicely prepared, inventive and appropriately portioned. We left full, not overstuffed.

My only real complaint is the location. The H St area is what I like to call, "in transition", and we had unfortunately made the decision to walk there from the brownstone we were renting for he weekend. Some of the locals made us very uncomfortable. Lesson learned.

• Visited April 2012