“Local favorite”

Matchbox - Capitol Hill
Reserve with OpenTable
Matchbox - Capitol Hill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #142 of 3,236 Restaurants in Washington DC
Transit: Eastern Market Metro
Columbus, Ohio
“Local favorite”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Met a friend for dinner - her first visit - a repeat visit for me. My standard - the calamari salad - was great as per prior visits. She enjoyed mac and cheese. The donuts and "coffee" dessert was fantastic. Upbeat service in great neighborhood. What's not to like?

Boston, Massachusetts
“Our favorite”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Our dinner at Matchbox Pizza was our favorite during our DC family vacation. Crab and avocado app was to die for, pizza was delicious and dessert did not disappoint. After a long day of sightseeing our time here was relaxing and enjoyable.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Pizza; Great Drinks; A Bit Loud”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I live near Matchbox so I'm a frequent patron of the place. Usually I go for pizza but I have had many of their other dishes and they are quite good. The pizza, though, rocks! I think I've had every one on the menu but the fire and smoke is my favorite. It's spicy though. I've never had a "bad" pizza. I'm not sure if it's the oven they use or something else, but the crust of Matchbox pizza's are about the bast I've ever had anywhere - crisp and chewy! Don't know how they do that! This is one place on Capitol Hill where you get your money's worth on alcoholic beverages - not cheap but very good. Service has always been speedy even when it's very busy, the wait staff is always helpful although you will have to snag someone on occasion when the place is bursting at the seams. The only complaint I have is the noise level. When it's busy I ask to be seated upstairs where it's a bit quieter.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Awesome for Everyone (incl Allergies)”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We had heard so much about Matchbox that we were really hopeful about visiting it this trip. We visited on a Wednesday night and had a 9:30pm reservation (yes, be sure to get reservations well in advance of your trip). As it turns out, we probably could have gotten in without a reservation at that time, as it wasn't jam packed when we arrived. Anyway.... we enjoyed the salmon and the blackened trout. Both were great. One of us has significant food allergies, but matchbox was very accommodating and managed to serve something safe for me, and still flavorful. We tried the chocolate peanut butter which was delicious and huge (too big!). Overall, we found Matchbox to be as good as we had hoped and a reasonable price. The service was fantastic and stole the show.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Delicious Sunday brunch”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Went around noon and got a table in 10 minutes. Restaurant is fairly large, also with a bar area and some outdoor seating. Cocktails were excellent! Two of us had the frittata, which was very good, and I had the bistro burger, which was tasty but a little on the pricey side at $13. Nice modern atmosphere and friendly service, although a little slow at times. There are several restaurant choices on the same block and lots of folks milling about on a nice day. Definitely worth a visit.

Visited April 2013