“Great Pizza; Great Drinks; A Bit Loud” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Matchbox - Capitol Hill

Matchbox - Capitol Hill
Ranked #129 of 3,188 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pizza
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: H Street
Transit: Eastern Market Metro
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Pizza; Great Drinks; A Bit Loud”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

I live near Matchbox so I'm a frequent patron of the place. Usually I go for pizza but I have had many of their other dishes and they are quite good. The pizza, though, rocks! I think I've had every one on the menu but the fire and smoke is my favorite. It's spicy though. I've never had a "bad" pizza. I'm not sure if it's the oven they use or something else, but the crust of Matchbox pizza's are about the bast I've ever had anywhere - crisp and chewy! Don't know how they do that! This is one place on Capitol Hill where you get your money's worth on alcoholic beverages - not cheap but very good. Service has always been speedy even when it's very busy, the wait staff is always helpful although you will have to snag someone on occasion when the place is bursting at the seams. The only complaint I have is the noise level. When it's busy I ask to be seated upstairs where it's a bit quieter.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Awesome for Everyone (incl Allergies)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

We had heard so much about Matchbox that we were really hopeful about visiting it this trip. We visited on a Wednesday night and had a 9:30pm reservation (yes, be sure to get reservations well in advance of your trip). As it turns out, we probably could have gotten in without a reservation at that time, as it wasn't jam packed when we arrived. Anyway.... we enjoyed the salmon and the blackened trout. Both were great. One of us has significant food allergies, but matchbox was very accommodating and managed to serve something safe for me, and still flavorful. We tried the chocolate peanut butter which was delicious and huge (too big!). Overall, we found Matchbox to be as good as we had hoped and a reasonable price. The service was fantastic and stole the show.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Delicious Sunday brunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Went around noon and got a table in 10 minutes. Restaurant is fairly large, also with a bar area and some outdoor seating. Cocktails were excellent! Two of us had the frittata, which was very good, and I had the bistro burger, which was tasty but a little on the pricey side at $13. Nice modern atmosphere and friendly service, although a little slow at times. There are several restaurant choices on the same block and lots of folks milling about on a nice day. Definitely worth a visit.

Visited April 2013
MidWest
“Great Brunch! Yum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

Brunch was affordable and delicious! Great choices. Try the cinnabons! The fruit and yogurt was also great and very light!

US
“Must have pizza”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

If you enjoy pizza, then the Matchbox is a must stop if you are in Washington, DC The restaurant is located on H street between 6th and 7th. We had a late lunch/early dinner when visiting during the cherry blossom festival. The pesto chicken pizza was delicious. A thin crust pizza smothered in pest and tasty chicken. The place is eclectic, with three levels of seating. The first floor can be a bit loud, so get a table on the second or third floor. Wait staff are very helpful. We did not finish the pizza so had it boxed and took it back to our hotel for a late evening snack.

Visited March 2013