“A Perfect Evening in Washington D.C.”
Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 3,322 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 6th Street
Transit: National Archives Metro Stop
Description: You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located on the corner of 6th and Pennsylvania.
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We knew even before arriving at The Capital Grille on Pennsylvania Avenue that our dining experience that evening would be a special event. With the view of the U.S. Capitol just down the street and knowledge that The Capital Grille was a favorite among congressional Republicans, it was like entering a private club. The place was packed and buzzing. Still our reservations were honored and our request for a booth given. We are off to a good start in this beautiful restaurant.

Robert was our server this evening and he made this a very enjoyable evening. He first brought us complimentary flutes of Stoli Doli, the signature cocktail of The Capital Grill. Stolichnaya Vodka infused with fresh pineapple, chilled and served straight up. Ooh, these could become habit forming! This followed with martinis which Robert shook at the table. 15-times shaken creates a very nice extra dry gin martini.

The menu followed the route of a perfect steakhouse. Good assortment of breads for the table followed with a nice French onion soup for my wife while I enjoyed an excellent Caesar Salad. Entrees this evening were fresh Alaskan Halibut for my wife of which nothing was left on her plate and a perfect 10 ounce prime Filet Mignon for me, rare as ordered with Béarnaise sauce. So nice.

We had some excellent wines to complement our entrees although we passed on the attractive selection of desserts. We achieved what we came for, and that to have a great dining experience.

Oh, and what about the Republicans? We had Republicans on our left and Republicans on our right. Is this a great restaurant or what! On the way out I stood aside to let a leading contender for the 2016 presidential election and his wife go past. Most certainly a fun evening and is that not what fine dining should be?

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Food was excellent and service was very good, but this was not a good dining experience. It was an early Saturday evening, and we were expecting "Classy", but what we got was a crowd in the main dining room wearing ball caps throughout the meal and swigging beer from the bottle. This wasn't just at one table. At an elegant restaurant I would like a little elegance...this had all the charm of eating at a truck stop.

1  Thank Chuck M
Reviewed March 7, 2014

This restaurant is not only beautiful inside (I'm talking gorgeous ambience) but the service was unbelievable and the food was fantastic. I felt special from the moment we walked in that evening. My husband had just received very good news about his job, so we wanted to celebrate! As a surprise for my husband, I called ahead of time to ask that a bottle of champaign be placed at our table. When we arrived the maitre d' discreetly pulled me aside to ask me what price range I was looking for and what type of champaign I wanted. I appreciated his thoughtfulness b/c at the end of the night we weren't handed a bill with a sticker shock attached. The whole evening was catered to us...I know there were many other customers that were receiving the same attention, but that was how we were made to feel. Our waiter, Tony, was fabulous and the food was spectacular!! At one point the manager came over and introduced himself to us because he had gone to school close to where we live and wanted to meet us. The whole evening from start to finish was magical and I can't wait to return again.

Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

The food and service was fabulous (oysters on the half shell, kona steak, scallops, lobster mac n cheese, spinach, calamari-all delicous!). It's a scene for conservative government and young ladies, uh-humm!

Reviewed March 3, 2014

The food was good, but we were stuffed at our table. The restaurant was loud. My filet was moist and tasty on the inside, but the outside was over cooked. I would go there again, but choose another entree