“Business types welcome. Tourists not so much.”
Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 3,463 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 6th Street
Transit: National Archives Metro Stop
Description: You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located on the corner of 6th and Pennsylvania.
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stopped in for a Thursday lunch while doing the tourist thing. We were in jeans and sweatshirts. That got us a chilly reception from the hostess. A couple of other groups in suits and ties came in after us without reservations, and were immediately seated while we were allowed to wait.

Our server, apparently expecting a smaller tip from such simple people went out of his way to make sure all the suits got the bulk of his attention (if only he knew that back home I wear a suit to go along with my job as a lawyer). Was nice of him to let us poor or own wine into our empty glasses. The bus boy was also accommodating in allowing us to repeatedly ask for more water. He even started to change out our table before all of us were out of our seats.

The food? Expensive. The wine, expensive (4x mark-up by my estimate). The meat, tough and flavorless. The oysters, not so fresh. The location, brilliant! If only we had not been made to feel like crap.

1  Thank John H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,805)

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We had a deliciousl meal like usual. You can see from my posts that if there is a Capitol Grille in an area, we usually go because we know the food will be good.
I had the wedge salad, as I always do, and it was delicious and I actually went outside the box and tried the fish special that was outstanding. Absolutely outstanding. I'm not usually all that willing to try new things when the tried and true menu items are usually delicious, but wow- what a great meal! It was a blackened fish and it is my favorite way to eat fish and they did not disappoint.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

So we decided to splurge for dinner and Capital Grill back home in Miami never disappoints, so we chose the same spot during our trip. The Delmonico steak was large enough to share with my young son. My husband chose the filet mignonette. Both were cooked to our specifications without issue. The lobster Mac-n-cheese didn't disappoint nor did the creamed spinach. The bread was a welcomed treat at the onset of dinner. The crime brûlée was yummy, with fruit. My son enjoyed the ice cream with cookies. The coffee was perfect...no need for sugar or cream. It's a shame that it's so expensive, otherwise I would go more often.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Had a lunch with family & friend at the CG over spring break. This high end power lunch spot is just north of the National Mall, so convenient when you need an lush sit-down break from walking thru the museums. It was filled with expensive dresses and taylored suits, so we stuck out a bit in our jeans and sweaters, but they seated us anyway. The waiter we had was a bit condescending and hit us with the predictable "oh, that is one of my favorites" but he got the order in OK. Wife had a great crabcake, friend had a good looking steak-salad combo, daughter (who always orders "up") scored with a pricey NY strip, and I had a lobster salad. All save the lobster were first rate (too many cucumbers). Probably worth the price of admission just for the posh dining room, but it will set you back.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I didnt care for the stuffed shrimp. The shrimp were not a good quality and the stuffing was mushy. However, my pineapple vodka was excellent, as was my salad and the service top rate.