“Great and convenient!”

Asante Sana Guest Quarters
Ranked #33 of 35 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 25, 2012

We have stayed in this guest quarters twice now, both times in the Lighthouse Suite. It is a wonderful, convenient place to stay to visit family in Mt. Pleasant. We have not had the pleasure of meeting the owners yet, but that is okay. Our room was cleaned once while we were here--everything was fresh and clean on our arrival and stayed the same! The ensuite kitchen was just what we needed for fixing a simple breakfast; we enjoyed the restaurants of the neighborhood for lunch and supper. The room was quiet, comfortable (although we liked it better when there was one queen bed instead of two doubles) and just the right place to collapse at the end of a busy day. The price was a steal when compared to other hotels with parking fees, etc. We will definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone coming to this part of DC!

Room Tip: Loved the lighthouse room--no one overhead and two floors above the traffic noise, which was minimal...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Anne S

Reviewed October 24, 2011

We stayed here in the beginning of October, 2011 in the DuBois room. We had a wonderful stay. They are upfront that this isn't a Bed and Breakfast, but a Bed and Basket. It's nice if you want a relaxing, comfortable place to stay and want to pack/make your own food. There's a grocery store nearby and a lot of other shops. Metro is a 5 minute walk. We only had one issue with water one night, but the owners fixed it w/in 5 minutes.

Great place!

Room Tip: WEB Du Bois room is the best and costs just a little more than the least expensive one. King bed, ki...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I booked a room in Asante Sana for myself in June for the CBC. I stayed here last year and was quite satisfied. A friend wanted to stay at the same place so I went online to book another room. I happened to go into the reviews to see the latest. When I saw the review from Tom468, I was a bit taken aback. I called the owners to make sure things had not changed. They assured me Tom's review was not representative. So I took a chance and booked a 2nd room anyway. I am so happy I did. The guest quarters are still lovely. They are clean, well appointed and comfortable. My friend an I are having a wonderful time. We have use of the entire downstairs which includes a sitting room, dining room and kitchen. The dining room comes in handy when we come in late and bring some take-out. No food orders in our rooms. We can sit an chat about the day at our leisure over a late night snack.

Best of all, the Guest Quarters is located a pleasant and safe 2 block walk from the metro, restaurants and shopping. We don't even need a car. We take the metro directly to the Convention Center. We even took the metro from Reagan Airport, it was quick and convenient.The public transportation "thing" is very "East Coast" for us California girls---we love it---no traffic, no parking problems. Last year when I stayed here, I rented a car and found out I really didn't need it. I've saved $200 on not having to rent a car. Spent it on eating at Georgia's and the Caucus Room (both great restaurants by the way and far more enjoyable than renting a car.)

As for the photos posted by Tom468, the door shown is the rear door. What he doesn't show is that it leads to a recently remodeled modern kitchen. The outdoor photos are the rear yard that is used for parking. You won't even see the back yard or porch unless you park your car there. (Which I did last year.) OK, from the photos it doesn't look so hot, but it really isn't that bad either. It is a typical DC parking area at the rear of a house. What Tom doesn't show is that it is well lite, safe and has a locking gate. Believe me with DC parking and ticketing, Tom468 should have been grateful to have a FREE 24-hour parking space in DC! Some people just don't appreciate anything.

One last comment, I am a "40 something" lawyer and my friend is a retired administrator of a non-profit, both from California. We feel safe and at home in Asante Sana which is not a "rooming house". We met the couple also staying at the quarters, also here for the CBC. He is a college professor and she a high school teacher from Chicago.

I hope Tom468's review doesn't stop other folks from staying at Asante Sana. It is really quite lovely and convenient and a great value. I will certainly recommend Asante Sana to my friends and stay here the next time I'm in DC.

PS: I'm sorry I'm not a tech person. If I were I would post my own photos. But I can tell you, the rooms I see here are even better than the photos on the website which don't do justice to the space.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank AOTravelsWell
Reviewed September 14, 2011

If you are going to D.C. on vacation don’t even consider Asante Sana, by no way is it a Bed and Breakfast…IT IS A ROOMING HOUSE NO MORE NO LESS!!!! The photos posted on the site by no means portray correctly what you will actually see once you arrive. When arriving you could not see the address on the house, at night the people in the neighborhood are outside drinking, not only in the neighborhood but the house next door also. The reason you have to get your key of the lockbox (which is not explained to you until you actually pay for your reservation) is because there are no employees to greet or assist you. Upon arriving I was assisted and greeted by another guest staying at rooming house. The furniture in the lobby looks as if George Washington himself could have used it. Upon arriving into the house the second thing to catch my eye was an old black fan sitting on the floor for no apparent reason. We reserved the W.E.B. Dubois room (which looks like he could have slept in it) was considered the top notch room because we received a private bath. The other rooms were to share a common bathroom which is not explained on the website as far as I could see. The back steps were a danger to walk down to the “Parking Lot” which looks like an abandoned car lot with overgrown grass. The back door was made of old wood with a steel rod for security. Again I remind you no employee was present to assist with me with anything. I called the telephone number on my reservation to advise myself nor would my wife stay in the dump firstly as a matter of SECURITY!!!! I was informed I hadn’t cancelled 7 days in advance and advised I would have to wait until the next week before her or her partners could assist me. I did not get my money back until I returned home. I was charged for a night and a cancellation fee (however I was only on the property for 5 minutes) and refunded for one night. This place was a total DISAPPOINTMENT!!!! I hope with the money they kept they fix the dump up before the next sucker makes a reservation. I will post the photos I was able to take of the place. I stayed at the Marriott for cheaper and received a great breakfast and felt safe. THIS IS MY OPINION OF THE PLACE

Room Tip: Do not choose a room at all....I would never recommend this dump to anyone.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Tom468
sheila1207, Owner at Asante Sana Guest Quarters, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2011

This customer provided the scurrilous report in response to becoming angry with the Asante Sana cancellation policy after several demanding, anxiety-ridden phone calls to our manager. This customer repeatedly refused to perform the simple arithmetic regarding his refund, the billed amount and the timetable parameters of refunds. He made reference only to his dissatisfaction with Asante Sana's clearly posted "Work In Progress" status within the building. The building was built in 1910 and we are working to retain as much of the original character of the building as possible. He made 2 (two) complaints by telephone as the reason he wished to check out when he called within 5 minutes of his arrival. His main complaint related to the fact that he was highly put off with the condition of the balustrade, the fact that spindles were missing and in disrepair.

While we've completed most this 3-year renovation, the balustrade remains incomplete because of logistical and practicality issues regarding its final design. We had decided on an ornamental iron design, however its construction did not allow for prior inspection and our board members were not in universal agreement regarding that decision, or the particular design that had been proposed. This client was expressly displeased with this and other original Colonial features we have taken great interest in preserving.

This client repeatedly prevaricated throughout his report, particularly regarding private baths. There is only one exception to the fact of all rooms having private baths. The black fan he referred to "on the floor" is brand new and stands 65" high, used to facilitate first floor air conditioning during a sweltering heat wave. His comment regarding the back door is a complete falsehood. His comments regarding neighborhood and next door drinking are total lies. The comments he made in his report regarding our cancellation policy is a lie (Just check the website, like he says!); he prevaricated the number of days allowed for cancellations, also clearly indicated on the website.

There is a sector of society that continues to appreciate traditional design in favor of the tidal wave "Condo Movement" noted in many development projects across large urban centers nationally. Our client's dissatisfaction with period design is inherent in several of his comments.

The client repeatedly answered "no" when queried whether or not he had applied simple arithmetic to the difference between his original bill and his refund, stating "It just seems like it should have been more..." when noting the amount of his refund. The cancellation and refund policy was clearly outlined for him in advance of his stay as well as on each of the 5 phone calls he made in the wake of his departure, prior to posting the scurrilous report. During each conversation he answered "no" to whether he had done the math on his bill. "I just seems like it should be more..." he stated repeatedly.

The fact of this client demeaning himself to juvenile prevarication coupled with his dissatisfaction regarding the refund should serve to reenhance and fortify our original claim of a client simply becoming angry and hostile at himself for refusing to read the cancellation policy and perform the arithmetic involved in determining the amount of his refund.

Reviewed June 21, 2011

We made reservations for 2 separate sets of days for a trip to DC to visit our son, with a break in the middle to go sightseeing in Virginia. We had reserved the Americas
Quarter room. When we arrived, we found locked door and no answer to the doorbell. We called the phone number and also no answer, so left a message. Fortunately, our son, who lives 2 blocks away, had borrowed a car from a friend to pick us up at the airport, so we were able to park the car, leave our luggage in the car, and walk to a nearby restaurant to have dinner while we waited for a call back. The call came while we were eating, with instructions for the lock box on the front porch to get our keys out. This first reservation was for 2 nights, and they had missed their email from paypal, which handles the payment on the website. To make up for it, they upgraded us to the WEB duBois Suite at no extra charge. This room was very nice, with a large en suite bathroom, a mini kitchen, and a very comfortable king size bed. It was very hot while we were there. The air conditioner was able to keep up with it, but it was very noisy and right next to the bed. We then left for a few days, then returned for 5 nights in the Americas Quarter. This room is very small, with a double bed, which is very soft. The website says that the bathroom is "just outside your door." It is actually down a very steep and narrow set of stairs (which are just outside your door), and through the kitchen, in the hallway between the dining room and kitchen. Fortunately, except for one night of our stay, we were the only people there, so we were comfortable going downstairs in our pajamas. It would have been awkward with other guests. The little balcony off the Americas Quarter is quite nice, and was very pleasant in the evenings.
The breakfast/snack basket provided consisted of mostly packaged pastries and a little fruit. We just went to the nearby grocery store and got a few things that we like.
The house is very clean and nice. This is a beautiful old DC row house, and the restoration is still in progress, but mainly done. A very nice woman showed up the last day we were there to work on the woodwork.
The Columbia Heights neighborhood is one of the current trendy neighborhoods in DC. Asante Sana is only a couple blocks from the Metro stop, just down the block from one of most popular bars/restaurants in DC (but no noise drifted up to us from there), close to several other restaurants, wine bars, coffee shops, and other shopping, and there is one of the bike rental pick up/drop off places right across the street. We were there to visit our son who lives in a small apartment nearby, and the gentleman who stayed one night in another room while we were there was also there to visit his son. He also had not received his confirmation with the combination to the lock box, but fortunately we were there when he arrived and able at least to let him into the house while he phoned the owner.
I would definitely recommend this place to anyone, as long as you are aware of the issues with the bathroom if you stay in the Americas Quarter, which is the only room without it's own bathroom. I think the rooms are a little overpriced, but considering there is nothing else really in the neighborhood, I guess it's a trade-off. The owner is very nice - we met her one day. It is very convenient to have the use of the kitchen, though we only used it for breakfast. The cleaning person didn't come every day, and there were no spare rolls of toilet paper anywhere in the house, so we ended up having to buy some. We had a bathmat the first night we were there, but it disappeared when the cleaning person came, and wasn't replaced, so we had to use towels for the bathmat. The back yard has not been fixed up yet, but could be very nice if they put a patio and/or some sod out there, and the porch and stairs need some work as well - most likely in the plans for the near future. So if you are going to DC and especially if you are visiting someone in this neighborhood, this is a great place to stay. If you don't have a particular reason to stay in this neighborhood, you might look around a bit, but even then it is pretty nice and the neighborhood is just fun.
Internet works fine in both rooms that we stayed in.
Be sure you get a confirmation email from the owners with the combination to the lock boxes.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Calor
Reviewed April 10, 2011

Very comfortable room, low cost for expensive WDC; although my room had a bathroom downstairs and down the hall, it was fine for me. Lovely people running the place.
Location is good - two blocks from metro station, and then 15 minutes into the centre of the city.
Needs an instruction sheet clearly spelling out things like wifi password, how to get the TV working, where the ironing board is hidden, etc.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Kidney S
Reviewed March 22, 2011

My husband and I wanted a weekend get away. We just wanted to relax and enjoy the sites of DC. Didn't want to spend a lot of money. I saw this B &B on the web and decided to give it a try. The room rates fit within our budget.

We were pleasantly surprised. We loved this place. Our room ( the DuBois Room) was clean, comfortable and huge. It had a kitchenette with fridge and microwave, flat screen and free WiFi and one of the most comfortable beds I ever slept on. The bathroom was pretty and large with lots of soft towels. Although we didn't, we were told we could use the full kitchen and dining room on the first floor. There's also a piano and fireplace on the first floor.

The facility was wonderful, but the location is GREAT! Walking distance from lots of good restaurants and shopping and only a couple of blocks from the metro. You don't need a car. No need to find those hard to come by DC parking spaces. Its metro close to the Capital mall with all its museums and attractions. You don't even need to take taxis with it's proximity to the metro. We took a taxi from Reagan to Asante Sana but took the metro back to the airport. It was quick and easy, about 15 minutes and no traffic anxiety.

The inn keepers are really nice and welcoming. We had a great time and intend to stay at Asante Sana GQ again, next time we are in DC.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple