“Fantastic experience.”

Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #207 of 3,395 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban, Latin
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Corner of 9th & H Streets
Transit: Two Blocks away from Chinatown Metro Stop (Red, Yellow, Green Lines). Four Blocks from Metro Center Stop (Orange & Blue Lines)
Reviewed December 29, 2012

After Les Mis at National Theatre on Wednesday night we wandered around looking for a dessert/drink place. We were with our 3 kids, 20, 18 and 15. We found Cuba Libre and were welcomed warmly though they were probably close to closing time. Attentive service from the host and waitress, beautiful setting, and yummy dessert pleased all in our party. I recommend this place for a great experience, warm atmosphere and great advice from the server. Thanks for helping to make our travel experience memorable. Dulce de leche dessert was "the very best dessert ever" had by my son!

Reviewed December 27, 2012

My expectations were fulfill, I was very impress with the quality, presentation, flavors and service, I was there twice, the first time was a very quite night, them very busy and crazy, but the attention was the same, they take care of you, like you are a long time friend and you are in a street restaurant in la Havana, the fist time my Dad and I have a taste of everything is was glory the ceviches, yummy, the arepas, you most have a bite, the ropa vieja inside is incredible and also the most intense, rich and filling, well prepare dish, that I always will eat is the lechón Asado, is this slow roasted marinated pulled pork, classic sour orange mojo, amarillo chille smashed yuca and black bean broth top with a vigoro slaw, this is delicioso, we also have the Paella Nueva, a forbidden black rice paella of pan roasted Mahi-Mahi, shrimp, clams mussels and squid, with a Mojito salsa verde and chipottle allioli, I can write all the menu but you better go and try yourself, it was a New culinary Hispanic Cocina, like I never had, don't be expecting the traditional Cuban food, they mixed techniques from all over South, Central America also Spanish food is present but the trick is that the Chef make this flavor better, tastier and just incredible, like their rice, it will be forbidden is you missed this experience, also they have more than 100 different rums, and the mojitos are incredible, my favorite is passion fruit, I have to tried 10 more times to make sure it was the best option, dessert, the new reinvented Tres Leches de Banana is incredible and to finished the cafe con coconut milk, too delicious. I will be back for more.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

We have eaten a few times at the Cuba Libre in Philadelphia and have had nothing bu positive experiences. Great vibe. Fresh, excellent food with a wide range of gluten-free choices. Cool drinks. We met family for brunch at the Cuba Libre in DC and did not have a similar experience. The food, while plentiful, was humdrum. Overly sauced. Heavy-handed. Laden with pork (including the over-cooked mussels) and a zillion unnecessary calories. Because we tried so many dishes, there were a few good ones. The poached egg with tomato hollandaise, for instance. And the croquettes with spinach and cheese. Otherwise, it was disappointing.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

We had a wonderful dinner experience, great food, ambiance, & service. The manager, Emdon was very friendly. Can't wait to return!!

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Interesting mix of Cuban traditional dishes, served in a pleasant atmosphere by a truly international mix of staff. Food is above average, but generally not anything to write home to Cuba about.

Drinks and extras will cost you dearly - $13.50 for a small margarita. Still, worth the trip.