“Overpriced Tapas”
Review of Estadio

Estadio
Reserve with OpenTable
Estadio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 3,228 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cross street: between N Church St & N P St
Washington
“Overpriced Tapas”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Estadio is a very elegant restaurant in a vibrant neighborhood. However the food is lacking in flair and the prices are over the top

Visited September 2011

Austin, TX
“Could be truly outstanding...Estadio needs to iron out a couple of items.”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Maybe it was my awesome meal at Zaytinya or possibly some other force of nature, but I felt like Tapas. Ever since my brush with Tapas greatness in Barcelona's Cerveceria Catalan (on Calle Mallorca), I have been craving good Tapas stateside.

Consulting Tripadvisor yielded "Estadio" as the most favorably reviewed Tapas restaurant in DC. So I walked a good ways to the Logan neighborhood of DC to try out their Tapas.

First impression was that the restaurant was appointed nicely, and that the atmosphere was inviting. The staff was friendly, and after I sat down at the bar, the staff helped me choose some food options.

I started out with a Pintxos of grilled fig, almonds, Cabral, and red peppers wrapped in Jamon. The flavors were excellent, but the Jamon was sliced too thickly, which made the texture somewhat unexpected.

I then went with grilled Octopus on a Spanish Potato Salad and Pimento Pepper Puree. Again, the flavors were absolutely magnificent, but the texture was off. When you grill Octopus, there's only one way to do it in my opinion...and that's grilling the octopus raw (without pre-cooking it). It does make the Octopus more chewy, but the texture and flavor are better preserved that way. I'm guessing Estadio pre-cooks (most probably by boiling) the Octopus, which softened the Octopus too much in my opinion, and made the surrounding membrane gelatin-like. This, in my humble opinion, really distracted from the otherwise excellent preparation.

To finish, I ordered a roasted beet salad with belgian endive, orange, and Idiazabal Cheese. Of the three dishes I ordered, this was definitely my favorite. The flavors worked well together, the crunchiness of the endive perfectly complimented the softer texture of the slow-roasted beets, and the sweet and zingy orange nicely contrasted the salty and creamy Idiazabal.

All things considered, the price for dinner was very fair, and the flavors excellent across the board. My only concern is the lack of execution regarding the texture of some of the dishes, so if you're a texture freak, I suspect this one might be one to avoid. Otherwise, if you emphasize flavor over texture, this one might be for you.

• Visited October 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great food poor service”
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Quality of food was great. The portions including the entrees are small but we knew that before we ate there because it is a tapas restaurant. Our server came to the table right away but after he took our order we did not see him again until after we finished with our food. We ordered an item saying we wanted it as an appetizer, the item my husband ordered as his meal came out first which I have to admit was very quick but we wanted the other item first. We would have likely ordered more drinks and food if the server would have come back. We would go back because the food was good but hope we would get a better server next time.

milwaukee
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Perfect night. Wouldn't go without reservations (like we did) as it is very popular. We ate at the bar and loved everything we tasted. Very, very nice Estadio.

Visited October 2011
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“All around fantastic!”
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Went to DC for the day, and met up with friends for dinner who chose Estadio. Upon entering, warm yet chic atmosphere. My husband and I were not necessarily dressed for the occasion, as we spent the day sight-seeing--however, no one thought the lesser of us, and we felt completely comfortable. I stuck with the white sangria--so refreshing! Other people had 'slushies' which were very yummy. The tapas were AM-AH-ZING! Tried foie gras and sweetbreads for the first time--YUMMMMY! There were 4 of us and I think we ordered 9-10 plates. I did think the plates were a little small, even for tapas. But the quality was outstanding!

• Visited October 2011