“Tasty, interesting dining in a picturesque neighborhood”

Ethiopic Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Ethiopic Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #381 of 3,200 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Ethiopic Restaurant focuses on Ethiopian cuisine and culture. Traditional Ethiopian ingredients are introduced to evoke the true taste of Ethiopia. Ethiopic’s authentic Ethiopian food menu will feature vegetarian, meat, poultry, and fish. Ethiopic Restaurant is proud to be the first Ethiopian Restaurant on the H Street Corridor and intends to cater to a wide customer base. We want everyone to feel welcome and entertained.
North Carolina
“Tasty, interesting dining in a picturesque neighborhood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

My friend and I dined here early on a Friday evening and enjoyed the experience thoroughly. The dining area, quiet and not very large, is furnished simply and tastefully. We were seated promptly, and the drinks we ordered came quickly, along with complimentary yeast bread. The vegetable sampler was good, though not so good, my friend thought, as the one served at her regular Ethiopian restaurant near home. The best things were the top-notch Ethiopian stout and the chickpea salad, which we absolutely loved.
A bonus: Walking to this restaurant from our New Jersey Ave. hotel took us through a beautiful neighborhood of classic townhomes, mostly restored and looking like a picture book. Check out 3rd and 4th streets between D Street and H Street.

• Visited June 2012

Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Try Ethiopian--you'll love it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

Can't pretend to be a timid eater (as evidenced by my cooking habits and, quite frankly, the size of my butt), but Ethiopian food was new for me. I don't have anything to compare the food to, but it was savory, stimulating, inviting. You eat it with your hands, scooping up your lentils and beans and lamb with spongy injera bread (kind of like a spongy giant tortilla). But even better was the warmth of the service and environment at Ethiopic. We were clearly tourists but we were treated like "regulars," with fast smiles, water and wine glasses that never emptied, and helpful pointers on ordering.

Visited May 2012
Washington, DC
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Make sure your guests like spicy food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

This is a highly-rated Capitol Hill neighborhood restaurant. Hubby and I read reviews and decided on lamb tibs and vegetarian sampler. His heat tolerance is very low so, unfortunately, he sat and watched me eat. Sampler was nice but lamb tibs that night were very tough and chewy. I will return (not for lamb) but without my husband!! Rated this average due to lamb dish. Ambiance is nice. Staff was attentive.

Charleston SC
“New experience. Great memory from trip.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

Never had Ethiopian food before but wanted to try. Apparently there is a big Ethiopian contingent in DC and a bigger (U Street) collection of these restaurants. This was off on its own in a neighborhood (Atlas district) that is apparently up and coming. Smaller w a nice atmosphere. Kids were excited to try. 10 and 12 year olds were game and tried a lot of it. Fussier 8 year old ate bread. Fun. Good food. Great for adventurous families. Some pricing made sense. Others were a little confusing ("minchet abish aletche wot" or small bowl of ground beef/chili/sauce like food....tasty but $18?). Glad we went. It was a great new experience and full but not crowded like the word was on the U St. spots. Had researched and this one was rated well. Make a reservation!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“The noise is overwhelming”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

I had been wanting to try Ethiopic because I heard the food was very good. It was about average for an Ethiopian restaurant, I would say - nothing special. The lamb was tough, probably not cooked long enough. But the real problem was that it was so noisy in this small space that we couldn't hear anything, not even the waitress. There is no upholstery to absorb sound, and wooden floors - very attractive - but everything seemed to be amplified. I would NEVER go back there and could barely wait to get out.

1 Thank diane28970