“Huge quantities, so-so quality”
Review of Carmine's

Carmine's
Reserve with OpenTable
Carmine's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #67 of 3,342 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: between E and D street on 7th street
Transit: Metro Trains information. .14 miles from Carmine"s on Metro Stop Archives- Navy Memorial Penn Quarter 701 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington D.C. 20004- Come off the train and head north on 7th street NW toward D street NW. Carmine's is on the right. .21 miles from Carmine's on metro stop Gallery PI- Chinatown 630 H Street NW Washington D.C 20001. Co
Description: Carmine's is a family style restaurant offering exceptional value to its guests through the many dishes of Southern Italian cuisine. The Carmine's concept is to bring its guests a "wow-factor" sized portions and making any meal feel like an Italian American wedding feast. Platters of homestyle antipasto, pasta, decadent seafood or meat entrees, and of course homemade desserts are all staples at Carmine's, meant for sharing amongst friends and family. When great food and wine are supported by friendly and knowledgeable service, the results are magic - we want every day to feel like a Sunday afternoon at Grandma's.
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Stumbled in hungry and tired after a flight from the west coast. Restaurant was packed but we were offered a table in the bar area and grabbed it. Service was very good but the food was just okay and the portion sizes were silly. I get that it's family style, but it would be great if they offered an option for one or two dinners instead of serving up quantities meant for four. Server seemed surprised that we didn't want to take large bags of leftovers back to our hotel. And the music was 80's and LOUD. Great place if you want copious amounts of food or come with a large party.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,366)

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Had reservation for eleven people at Carmines at 1:45 PM today Saturday February 16th.
Arrived at 2 :00 Pm was fifteen minutes late and three of my invitees were little late, I nicely approached the hostess that they were on the way. The hostess told me she can not seat us because I was late. I went again and requested to be seated so we can place our order, she said we can seat and wait at the bar. I asked her is there no other choice, she rudely answered Yes. When my invitees arrived she sat us, our waitress came to us late about 3:10 pm. I went to her to let her know how late it took for us to be attended, only respond I got from her was that we have two hours to eat and that the table is booked at 5pm. The food was great!! remember to order shrimp Fra Daivolo, Lasagna and Titanic for desert. Hire Hostess who has passion for customers.

1  Thank weekender719
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We wandered in on a Friday night expecting a wait, but tables were available immediately. We stopped at the bar for a drink first and found a friendly attentive bartender. Moving on to the table the wait staff were with us immediately, explaining the family style service (each entree comes in a single HUGE dish). Be careful, online the menu says each entree serves 4 - 6, but the waiter said 3 -4, trying to sell us on two entrees. We started with a cold antipasto which was excellent! A perfect size for the four of us. We decided to hold off and just order one entree, figuring we could order more if needed. There was a boneless chicken special which came with greens and roasted potatoes. It was wonderful, but there was no way we could finish it. Serving 4 - 6 seems to be right. The food prices seemed more than reasonable, the portions were huge (you need 4 people, I can't see how a couple could eat here) but the wine was on the pricy side. All in all a good diner in a very nice atmosphere.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We were just at the inauguration and stumbled upon Carmine's after leaving the Newseum. Wow! I am still thinking about that meal. It was great Italian food at a decent price. DC restaurants are overpriced in general, but Carmine's was affordable in comparison. The food was served family style, and there was plenty of it. I am of Italian heritage, and I do not like the usual chain version of marinara sauce because it is always too sweet. Carmine's sauce was just like I remember it from when I was a kid. I will definitely eat here again (maybe in 4 years when when Hilary gets inaugurated!)

Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

We have been trying to eat at a Carmine's for a couple years now. We were excited to finally get a chance while we were in town for the inauguration. The atmosphere was old style Italian. I would strongly recommend reservations because they were constantly busy all night. The waiter we had was very attentive and explained all the food and how the ordering works. It is all family style. We were worried that the food selections wouldn't be enough for our party, so we ordered quite a bit. When the food came we knew we had made a mistake. The food portions were HUGE! We had left overs for days. The value and price was worth all of the food you got. We will definitely be eating at Carmine's again.