“Everytime I'm in the city...”
Review of Carmine's

Carmine's
Reserve with OpenTable
Carmine's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #71 of 3,237 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: between E and D street on 7th street
Transit: Metro Trains information. .14 miles from Carmine"s on Metro Stop Archives- Navy Memorial Penn Quarter 701 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington D.C. 20004- Come off the train and head north on 7th street NW toward D street NW. Carmine's is on the right. .21 miles from Carmine's on metro stop Gallery PI- Chinatown 630 H Street NW Washington D.C 20001. Co
Description: Carmine's is a family style restaurant offering exceptional value to its guests through the many dishes of Southern Italian cuisine. The Carmine's concept is to bring its guests a "wow-factor" sized portions and making any meal feel like an Italian American wedding feast. Platters of homestyle antipasto, pasta, decadent seafood or meat entrees, and of course homemade desserts are all staples at Carmine's, meant for sharing amongst friends and family. When great food and wine are supported by friendly and knowledgeable service, the results are magic - we want every day to feel like a Sunday afternoon at Grandma's.
Cockeysville Hunt Valley, Maryland
“Everytime I'm in the city...”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Everytime I'm in Washington DC, I eat dinner at Carmine's. I've been to all five of the Carmine's restaurants and this is by far the best. Parking is very convenient in the attached garage and the elevator opens directly into the restaurant. With a party of four, we started our meal with the Scarpariello Wings which are marinated, pan fried, and tossed in lemon butter and herb sauce served with fresh fennel and a gorgonzola dipping sauce. Absolutely the best. Despite the large portions which typically serve 4 persons, we all ordered our own entrees. The hidden agenda is that you take home what you don't finish to enjoy at several more dinners. My conventional daugher ordered angel hair pasta with meatballs. There were six oversized meatballs made from beef and veal served with a combination of marinara and ragu red sauces. Any I don't mean the commercial brand Ragu. I ordered the Chicken Cutlet Parmigiana, which was pan-fried breaded chicken cutlet topped with melted mozzarella and served over marinara sauce. My son ordered chicken with lemon and butter, which was thinly-sliced chicken breast enhanced with a rich lemon butter sauce. And my son's girlfriend ordered chicken marsala which was thinly sliced chicken breast sauteed with fresh sliced mushrooms in a rich veal and marsala wine sauce. Even though we were stuffed, we finished the evening with the chocolate torta which is meant to serve 2-4 people. It was a rich, dense, dark chocolate torte accented with coffee and liquor, served with fresh whipped cream, strawberries and two scoops of vanilla ice cream. Good thing my pants button didn't come off, because it would have knocked someones eye out because I ate so much! Sevice was outstanding and the total bill with tip for the four people, no alcohol, was $220. Would I do it again? You bet! Everytime I'm in Washington, New York or Atlantic City I eat at Carmine's. Don't hurt yourself and weigh yourself for several days, but this is one place you want to forget about the diet. And whatever you do, DO NOT go to Carmine's at the Atlantis in the Bahamas. It cannot compare and I wouldn't consider it worthy of the Carmine's name.

• Visited November 2012

• Hebrew first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great for family”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

There is nothing that you won't like-the food is fantastic and in generous portions, the ambience is lovely, plenty of space yet cozy. Great service and the waiters know how to keep little toddlers happy.

• Visited November 2012
Seattle, Washington
“More than you want”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Unique place where each entree seems designed - literally - to feed four people. My wife and I did as much damage as we could to the single order we placed, and still took half of the meal with us when we left. But the service and food were quite good. Not gourmet, by any measure, but healthy, flavorful and ample - to say the least. Just make sure you sit in the bar area and not the restaurant area. The food and the service are the same but the prices are significantly different!

Visited October 2012
Milford, Delaware
“$9 surcharge for wheat pasta ?”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

At first the menu seems very pricey, but when you consider if you can agree on 1 meal for 2 or more it's not bad unless you request Wheat Pasta instead of the standard pasta with your meal.
I was shocked when the check came with a charge of $9 added for this. What really upset me was it's not noted on the menu board and the server never informed me as well.
They did furnish extra bread and additional sauce at no charge and even brought both us us a sample of both house wines to help us decide which to order. The meal was really nice and the servers were attentive and I would give it 5 stars except as I stated the $9 for wheat pasta. I could understand $1 maybe $2 but $9???....I think that is plain highway robbery.

It is a good place for a group and have many selections. I do advise a reservation as we were lucky to be seated fast as they had a long wait of over an hour. Not sure how we got seated in about 15 minutes.

Again good value- but before you sub anything ask if there is an additional charge. Also be prepared to take leftovers home as most do and I must say the reheat well and taste great even the second time.

• Visited October 2012
Dallas, Texas
“Fabulous Food”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I am not an aficionado of Italian food. This restaurant has the best Italian food by far on the entire planet! The food is served family style and the portions are generous. No matter what you order, you will not be disappointed. Try the calamari appetizer! Best in the States!

• Visited October 2012