“Nice Lunch Place”

Chesapeake Room
Ranked #1,637 of 3,337 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to The Chesapeake Room where our mission is simple… To bring our guest an organic, sustainable & free range dining experience while bringing to life the natural & fresh taste of each season. We have a passion for all that our beautiful Mid-Atlantic waters & farms have to offer & hope you will, too. Our fish and shellfish are local and fresh. Our meat, fowl and game are local and grown humanely. Our interior is hand crafted from the same wood that Les Paul guitars are made from! We have a great patio (enclosed and heated when it's cold) great for parties and alfresco dining. Our Brunch was rated amongst the best by the Washington Post and is a specialty. It all happens in our open kitchen with the Chef creating all our food from scratch. Sports on quietly on our plasma screens at our full bar. A historic restaurant in the middle of Barrack's Row. Thanks for coming!
Reviewed November 17, 2011

My colleagues and I were drawn by the wonderful smells emanating from the Chesapeake Room while walking down 8th Street, looking to make a lunch decision.
We made a great choice: The Chesapeake Room has a heated enclosed patio that was a perfect venue for our celebration lunch. I thought my salad with grilled chicken was quite nice, accompanied by a pretty good butternut squash soup. My colleagues raved about the seafood chowder and there were no complaints about the Brunswick Stew, a burger and a special panini sandwich. This restaurant is a short walk from the Eastern Market Metro Stop, so we will make a return visit. soon

1  Thank Traveldiva36

Reviewed October 24, 2011

My family and I went to this restaurant after I had researched places to get a Gluten free meal in D.C. My Cousin has Celiac Disease and absolutley cannot have anything with Gluten in it. From the very moment we sat down his fears were put to rest. The waitress was well versed and the Head Chef even came to our table to discuss his options with him.
The Bison Tartare was FANTASTIC! As was the Crab Risotto and the Calamari.
The Maryland Crabcakes were amazing as were the Pork Chop and the Chicken. Everything was so fresh. The restaurant is very quaint and has a great atmosphere.
There were five of us and after 2 bottles of wine and numerous other libations, 5 starters and 5 entrees we had spent a very reasonable amount for our dinner!
All in all it was a great meal we are still talking about days later!
ENJOY!

1  Thank misstorri
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Sunday brunch. Neighborhood restaurants were crowded. Had shrimp and hummus appetizer. Several Lahvosh crackers, great hummus, jumbo perfectly grilled and seasoned shrimp (3 large ones), paprika but not overdone. At my request, they skipped the creme fraiche. This would have been enough. $10, filling and very enjoyable. Short ribs with mushroom demiglace, great home fries with a little cheese, mushroom & red pepper, and sauteed spinach with garlic. Short ribs so tender and flavorful! $13. Great service. Nice, comfy atmosphere with large upholstered chair, great calming light jazz. Prices very reasonable for the area, and esp. for quality and quantity. Will be back!

Reviewed October 11, 2011

This is a great place to eat with interesting choices for food and an eclectic decor.
From catfish to bison burgers, crab cakes to home-made mac & cheese.
Pub-like atmosphere, large tropical fish tanks in the walls. Great attentive service.
My family enjoyed it and we will be back. Friendly neighborhood has several other dining choices.

1  Thank Thinman41
Reviewed June 5, 2011

We had been interested in visiting The Chesapeake Room since we moved back to the area last year. Seems like a great location, right on 8th St. in Barracks Row with a very inviting decor. We finally made it there on a Friday night and were surprised to get an outside table immediately, while all the other restaurants nearby had a minimum 45-minute wait.
The indoor dining area is rather loud, which is fine if you enjoy a bar-like atmosphere, but we were there for dinner, so the outdoor area was better for us.
We shared an appetizer of smoked shrimp and grilled calamari, which looked very appealing when it was set on the table. The shrimp were good, still moist and smoky, but the calamari were very salty. We finished them all, but asked the waiter to ask the chef to ease up on the sodium.
If I had to rate this restaurant based only on the main item in my entree, I would have given it at least four stars. The smoked pork chop with the tomato-rosemary sauce was absolutely delicious--smoky, moist and meaty with nicely visible grill marks, but the green beans were so crunchy I wonder if they were cooked at all. The carrots, in contrast, were almost overcooked.
My wife had the shrimp and scallop entree, which was cooked well, but it wasn't special. At $26, we were expecting something much more flavorful.
The waiter was very friendly and attentive, but our entrees took longer than we were expecting. The server did apologize for that.
At one point, the four-top next to us wanted to add an extra diner, but there wasn't enough room for him. So he just hovered behind my wife drinking a beer and chatting with his friends for at least 10 minutes while the group waited for a larger table. While this wasn't the staff's fault, it was rather annoying, and the staff did get them a table as soon as one was available.
Considering the price we paid, $84, which included one beer and one glass of wine, plus tip, you'd better off spending your money in the superior competitors in the immediate surroundings, such as Belga Cafe and Matchbox, to name just a couple.