Open today: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM

from $69.00
from $49.00
from $39.00
More Info
All reviews capitol building library of congress capitol tour tour guide statuary hall short movie senate chambers representative's office underground tunnel coat check minute tour great tour free tour security check supreme court across the street visitors
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I booked my tickets on line prior our trip to Washington.
The guided tour included a short film and visits to the Rotunda and Statuary Hall. Our guide was knowledgeable and explained the building and history in detail.Unfortunately, we were unable to visit House and Senate Chambers-passes must be requested through your Senator or Representative.
We had lunch in the cafeteria and wished we had eaten elsewhere, but the service was quick.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The visitor center is beautiful and efficient. The exhibits gave a great history of the two houses. I had a tour arranged by Rep. McGovern's office. We were taken around by one of the interns which was a bonus. If your congressperson offers this, take it. We got to see the old Supreme Court chambers and walking through in just our group was great. We went at our pace and could stop where we wanted.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I spent most of my time at the House of Representatives chambers, which they were unfortunately was not in session, but a staff member there told us a little about the House, Capitol, and the chamber itself. It is a very nice visitor center with lots of information. The Capitol is amazing, the building is so large with seemingly endless hallways and... history!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

In God We Trust engraved in stone above our heads as we walked in. Make sure you take the guided tour. No need in making reservations, it doesn't save you any time, just show up and register for the free tours that start about every 25 minutes. The groups are small and our instructor was VERY knowledgeable of history and all the art work to be seen and stories behind each one. The short film of American history before the tour started was very concise and visual to peak the interest of the kids.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I have taken tours of the U.S. Capitol through my congressmen before, but since the only day I could visit was a Saturday, I went through the Visitor's Center.

The Center is very nice, ample bathrooms, great history videos and exhibits. Our tour guide was also nice and provided the basic information regarding the Capitol.

That being said, since I could compare the more personalized tour from a Congressional staffer, I found the visitor center tour to be generic and quick (only 2 rooms are visited). I understand they must do so to accomodate all the visitors, but my recommendation would be to go directly through your Senator or Congressmen for a more personalized tour that includes much more information about the wall paintings, state-specific statues, more time in the 2 rooms that are visited, and the possiblity of visiting even more rooms.