“Love the gift shop”

26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Love the gift shop”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stopped in here last week when I was visiting Washington DC.They offer a movie and currently have an exhibit featuring the ice age and another one on pirates. I did not go to see either one but really enjoyed the gift shop.I am not big on shopping on vacation but I did find some unique items here.I think parking may be hard in this area of town and due to the fee they charge to view the exhibits some visitors may want to pass on this and take advantage of all the free Smithsonian's museums. If you do stop in there is a free exhibit of photos in a rear building on lions and bears that was enjoyable.

Visited July 2013

Aiea, Hawaii
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Not Impressed”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I was really looking forward to visiting the National Geographic Museum. We arrived on a Saturday morning and had problems finding parking. All of the garages in the area were full or closed. Once we arrived at the museum it was a quick process to purchase tickets and the accompanying headset. The feature exhibit was Pirates. It started with a movie and faux lightening.

The early parts of the exhibit focused more on the slave trade from Africa. Many of the artifacts were not real but instead replicas. I always purchase the optional audio tour expecting to learn more than what I could by just reading the information within an exhibit but felt this audio didn't add much.

After leaving the exhibit you enter into a historical tour of the magazine. Again there are a few interactive pieces but this did not impress me.

I think kids might enjoy the Pirate exhibit and it is a fairly quick tour so if you are pressed for time it could be an OK choice.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank AmyTravels720
New York City, New York
319 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 162 helpful votes
“So-so”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

After going to so many of the Smithsonian museums for free, this small museum, if you can call it that, doesn't quite feel worth the price. At the time I went, the rotating exhibit was on the samurai and was very interesting, however no pictures were allowed which was disappointing. Most of the rest of the museum is just writing and pictures. I would say skip it unless your very interested in the rotating exhibit, or have a lot of extra time.

Visited September 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Wonderful little museum”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

As a long time reader of National Georgraphic I was thrilled to find out they had a museum! Entry was easy and no line. Saw the Pirates exhibit and that was a lot of fun. I swear I felt the floor moving and felt like I was on a ship!!Great experience. The rest of the museum had the pictures NG is famous for and exhibits about what NG has done through the years. I had fun looking at the headlines of the cover for my birth month (1951)...troubles in the Mideast...some things never change! There are interactive activities for kids, and grownups too :) Onstreet parking is hard to get and expensive. Just go down the street a bit and by St. Matthews you will see a little sign for $5 parking all day. Really!! Museum has senior discount and military discount.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank AuntAndy
Pensacola, Florida
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Gem of a museum”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Great little museum to visit in DC ! Wonderful exhibits, with some interactive fun for kids. Also has an IMAX theater . I loved the exhibit with an interactive screen of the giant Sequoia tree. Right now there is also a great Pirate exhibit . All in all, a wonderful museum that is perfect for kids and
adults !