“My steak was perfect!”
Review of Bistro Cacao

Bistro Cacao
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro Cacao is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #71 of 3,298 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: European, French, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Union Station red line three blocks away
Reviewed April 3, 2013

A good friend wanted to treat me to a good (expensive) meal for my birthday. After having trouble getting reservations at my first two choices, I landed on Bistro Cacao and made a reservation through Open Table (where I made a note that it was my birthday). So...it was nice being wished happy birthday by every employee who came to the table. I had hoped to have the chef's tasting menu but I was told he was taking care of a private party. So I tried to make my own. I had the pan seared scallops (they seemed a little bit under to me but the salad was tasty), the steamed mussels in dijon mustard sauce (the mustard sauce was very assertive), the filet mignon (as I mentioned, that steak was perfect but the sides were lukewarm), the banana basket (underwhelming), and a kir royal (a birthday gift from the waiter). I give the food four stars easily.

The decor seems kind of old and faded. I had a booth enclosed by red curtains. That was kind of nice but I could hear EVERY word of conversation from the next table. I thought the flatware was a little lightweight for an upscale restaurant. And the service got slower as the restaurant filled. But overall, it was a delicious meal.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Occasionally you stumble upon a great restaurant and today we did just that at Bistro Cacao. There was no better place to have Easter brunch than at Bistro Cacao. Every item in the pastry basket melts in your mouth, especially the croissant with Nutella spread. My main dish was the cinnamon french toast with chicken sausage. The french toast was laced with just the right amount of cinnamon and it was surprisingly light (in texture only, not so much in the calorie department). The atmosphere was fantastic and almost gave you the feeling that you were in Europe. We will definitely be back to try out their great looking happy hour.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

The eatery is in need of a redecorating. The wall paper is peeling and torn and the furnishings old and worn. Our waiter could also use a refurbishing, or maybe a training. He gave us specials that were wrong, fish that was raw, and bad information on the wine list. The New York Strip was done perfectly, the Mahi Mahi was delicious, and the French onion soup was nicely done. Overall the ambiance and the service was enough to assure this eatery won't be in our top ten when we return to DC.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This bisto is an easy walk from the Capitol. Located in an old row house. Romantic, quiet, cozy, friendly, yummy...... Unfortunately I was not with a special someone. There are several 2 person tables with red sheer curtains to separate you from the rest of the dining room if you wish. My dining partner had a salad and the scallop risottto. She was quite pleased. I had the special butternut squash soup and swordfish special. I could't have been happier.We both had some wine. I only wish I had saved room for dessert. I am sure it was as good as the rest. Our waiter was fabulous. We lingered and talked. They did not rush us out. There was a roaring fire as we entered. I kind of wish we had stayed there for awhile.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

A wonderful restaurant for brunch. A beautiful Sunday afternoon. A great group of friends and family. Very good food! The decor of the restaurant is lovely. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. We lingered long after brunch was finished, and did not feel rushed at all. That is a good thing!